A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I don't want to change it EVERY WEEK!

Like "load variables" from a text file, is there a way to load an image instead.
    I'm trying to avoid the $999.oo for Generator and find an alternative.
    this is what I would like to do.
    I want to have a picture of a party flyer named "friday.JPG" that is called into the swf file, but will also reflect the change, each time I over-write the "friday.JPG" file with a new image.
    seems easy, but it just might not be possible. so If I'm wasting my time, then I would love to know.

Originally posted by Natasha@LUX
    Like "load variables" from a text file, is there a way to load an image instead.
    Hi Nat,

instead of using a jpeg, why don't you import the image into flash, export it as a new movie and have the original flash file load in the new 'friday.swf' each time?

Let me know if you get stuck.

SpaceyUK.

I'm actually trying to build a half ass administrator page for a client to login- type some textual changes in a form- upload an image and be done with it. looks like I'm screwed, because in the process, I'm also trying to make it as simple and 'idiot proof' as possible.
    Thanks for your reply.

p.s. can Generator do what I want? I cannot seem to get an answer to this question: Does the generator template look for the external image file everytime the .swf file is called, or does generator just embed it once and that's it?

have a look at jpeg2swf (in the openswf forum).
    Your flash should just load friday.SWF as a separate movie, and the jpeg2swf could run after a new JPG is uploaded

Musicman

terrific

that seems like a great alternative too. I don't know what a c- compiler is, so I'll ask my server tomorrow.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    ~n

thanks for your suggestion

this will work... I think.
    Now I have a question I thought I'd ask here first...
    The program constantly runs on the server using the timer?
    How do I start it?
    Can I have one for a friday.jpeg>friday.swf and another for saturday.jpg>saturday.swf?
    It seems amazing and I would love to use it.
    again,
    thanks

Hi Natasha,

you mentioned that you will have a form where someone can upload a new picture. Put the conversion into the script that processes the form.
    The "continuously running" is probably intended for the webcam situation only

Musicman

something like this...

I am not a scripting and backend person... I'm a gimp and the scripts that I write never ever work. PERL is not my friend. But I will try...
    .....<um>..
    ..<uh>.....
    nope. Can't do it.
    I want it to execute the swf so I would also probably have to include the jpeg path and the swf path, right?
    So- <FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/jpeg2swf?[-f4-t5000]<../happy/friday.jpg><../happy/friday.swf>" METHOD=POST>
    <INPUT TYPE="Submit" NAME="submit" VALUE="CONVERT">
    </FORM>

yes? no? (I know it's no, just humor me. AND HELP)

Thank you,
    ~N

Re: something like this...

Hi,
    This an alternative solution, I use because I had the same problem:
    my Flash movie open in the same time a little popup window which contains the image in a html page.
    that can be a solution, it is up to you!
    Good Luck

I was thinking of doing that, it would certainly be easier.
    but I'm trying to stay away from excess windows. I still may do something to that effect with frames.
    Thanks for your reply. and suggestion.
    ~N

Glad to help !

Hi Natasha,

start by getting a server script that does the upload right (this is somewhat tricky) and, assuming that your script has stored the file and kept the filename in $received_file, add to the script (Perl example)

if($received_file =~ /\.jpg/i)
    { ($want_swf = $received_file) =~s/\.jpg/.swf/;
    system("jpeg2swf $received_file >$want_swf");
    }
    elsif($received_file !~/\.swf/i)
    { print "please send me only jpg or swf images...\n";
    unlink($received_file);
    }

Musicman