A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Getting position within a text field?

Smile

This might be an interesting question for all of you Flash Gurus out there. I have created a form in Flash. I have set the tab order so the user can move from field to field using the tab key. I have also split fields such as the phone number into three separate text boxes (area code, first three digits, last four digits). My question: is there a way to check for the position in the text field so that when the user comes to the end of a field they will automatically go to the next field? I would appreciate any ideas you might have (Like most of us I'm now obsessed with figuring this out).

Thank you,

Ron

if the cursor (the selection) is in a field, you can read out Selection.caretIndex()
    I had no luck to get a keypress event from an input text field, so I placed the text box in a MC and use this in an onClipEvent(enterFrame)

Musicman

Smile Thnx

Musicman,

Thank you for the info. I have over 80 text fields in this form so I might wait until the next time to fully implement your suggestions (I will try it right now on the phone numbers, etc.). At least I'll be able to sleep at night instead of ActionScript running through my mind all night.

Thank you again,

Ron

Red face Some specific code

Ron,
    MusicMan is right on track. To get more specific I would include an if statement that reads like this

if(Selection.getFocus() == _level0.inputTextFieldName && Selection.getCaretIndex()== 3){
    Selection.setFocus("_level0.nextInputField")
    }