A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turn QuickTime video into Flash .swf file

Exsported swf movie way bigger than original...

After exporting a big movie of 20MB, the resulting Flash5 file was about 54MB. Quality was great but size was way too big. Is this because of the demo or my export settings in swideo not set properly...

I was not sure if you were aware that vid2flash offers batch file processing from the command line.

Send me an email and I will send you an example.

resolved SWIDEO can handle AVI files

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by sobeit
    Hey I just tried converting an AVI file into SWF using SWIDEO and it worked. I used it all this time to convert QT files and never knew it could handle AVI's also. Pretty cool feature.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually the real question is not whether SWIDEO (http://www.swideo.com) can handle AVI movies, but whether QT can handle AVI movies. As it turns out QT can handle AVI video files therefore SWIDEO can (a nice benefit!) handle them as well. SWIDEO is tightly tuned to use the QT engine to create optimized Flash .swf files using .mov, or in this case .avi, files as input. Hope this helps to explain the undocumented (now documented) feature.

--SWIDEO

Price ?

Why is this product being compared pricewise to Flix. I see an advertised price under $30

We have added an extra chapter in our e-book to include all the swf conversion softwares. If you wish to provide a demo version along with your own writeup you may do so.

It would be good to include with each tool specific data as brought up in this thread

Memory usage on playback
    Time to compress
    Maximum file size
    Platforms
    Price

..and so on. We will be compiling a list so any items you can think of that should be added to the list please post them or email me whiterabbit@telocity.com

By the way our book concerns swf video from Flash. Three out of every 10 people who visit our site are signing up to be notified of release of the book. It will be marketed world wide and will include our techniques for creating swf video. Our own fully optimized demo video will be posted when the book is released.

We have already established affiliate alliances in the DV world and are presenting alternate solutions for the business community. It's looking good is all I can say.

Cheers

Jp

http://www.mantaproductions.com

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Manta's technology kicks some serious a**

http://www.2112fx.com/video1.html

enjoy

Re: SWIDEO can handle AVI files

Originally posted by swideo
    quote:
    Hey I just tried converting an AVI file into SWF using SWIDEO and it worked. I used it all this time to convert QT files and never knew it could handle AVI's also. Pretty cool feature.

Actually the real question is not whether SWIDEO (http://www.swideo.com) can handle AVI movies, but whether QT can handle AVI movies. As it turns out QT can handle AVI video files therefore SWIDEO can (a nice benefit!) handle them as well. SWIDEO is tightly tuned to use the QT engine to create optimized Flash .swf files using .mov, or in this case .avi, files as input. Hope this helps to explain the undocumented (now documented) feature.

--SWIDEO
    If I get you right then Swideo can convert any type of File that QT can?

If this is so then Swideo can handle over 200 types of media.

Re: Re: SWIDEO can handle AVI files

Originally posted by johnie
    quote:

--SWIDEO

Johnie, that's a good guess. However the current version (2.0) of SWIDEO handles only video files as input. We know that .mov and .avi files work fine. However if you try to convert a QuickTime VR file into .swf this will not work. The logic is simply not there in SWIDEO. We did however choose the QuickTime format as the base of the SWIDEO engine so that in the future we could enable more media types.

SWIDEO

Instead of wasting your time jealously guarding your product you should hurry up and offer a trial of Flix like all the software comanies do.
    Amen & Amen.

---flash777---

Originally posted by flash777

Instead of wasting your time jealously guarding your product you should hurry up and offer a trial of Flix like all the software comanies do.
    Amen & Amen.

---flash777---
    Couldn't agree more

http://www.swideo.com

Sneak preview of the latest version of SWIDEO!!!

more info to come later on

-- SWIDEO
    [Edited by swideo on 10-23-2001 at 09:54 AM]

Hi,

Just wanted to put the word out about a new product, "SWIDEO", which turns QuickTime video into Flash .swf files. It's been a while in the making and now it's ready for all you Flash pros. You can also download a FREE DEMO VERSION. So check it out at:

Some of the features are:
    o Fast Export
    o Small file size
    o Great synched streaming sound
    o Small memory usage
    o Professional
    o Most optimal video exporter

Let us know what you think.
    [Edited by swideo on 03-30-2001 at 11:35 AM]

Re: Re: Re: SWIDEO can handle AVI files

I have a video project that I am working on, I want it to call to an external .swf file so it's light on resources, start up time etc.. i really need to know who has had success using swideo or any other media that can help.
    This flash site just kicks, i live here.
    Lanester..

quote:

--SWIDEO

Johnie, that's a good guess. However the current version (2.0) of SWIDEO handles only video files as input. We know that .mov and .avi files work fine. However if you try to convert a QuickTime VR file into .swf this will not work. The logic is simply not there in SWIDEO. We did however choose the QuickTime format as the base of the SWIDEO engine so that in the future we could enable more media types.

SWIDEO

Re: Re: Re: Re: SWIDEO can handle AVI files

Originally posted by lanester
    I have a video project that I am working on, I want it to call to an external .swf file so it's light on resources, start up time etc.. i really need to know who has had success using swideo or any other media that can help.
    This flash site just kicks, i live here.
    Lanester..
    Well if you want success as in highest quality, I dont think anyone can beat our own Flash video. As a testament to that fact, I have been invited to speak on a live broadcast October 23 (by streaming media magazines tech department) with an executive director from Macromedia regarding the ability of flash to stream video.

Our success has been such that we have even been given a video to encode in a codec comparison article which will pit Flash against the big 3 DV codecs.

On the other hand the conversion softwares are easier, and less processor intensive so if you don't have a development computer then you may have to go that route.

You may view some prosumer quality video encoded in Flash at our web site (broadband only at this time) http://www.mantaproductions.com and I will post the exact time and link to tune in to the stream if anyone is interested.

Jorge Pease
    Manta Productions

Wow! v3.0 has come a long ways guys!...lookin' good!
    That Turbine Encoder is sweet too though...never have liked Flix!

Hey Whiterabbit!
    Which conversion tool are you using & which one are you recommending in your book?
    Cheers...ziggy
    [Edited by gjkillam on 10-17-2001 at 03:22 PM]

We use AfterEffects in the book to convert to sequences and do other editing and then do our swf work all in Flash. We use simulated video not real video as the conversion softwares do.

Wow! v3.0 has come a long ways guys!...lookin' good!
    Yes, we think so. Thank you!

Johnie, your assumption is correct. We now handle most of the file formats that QT can. Checkout http://www.swideo.com to find out more about our latest product.

-- SWIDEO

If I get you right then Swideo can convert any type of File that QT can? If this is so then Swideo can handle over 200 types of media.
    Johnie, your assumption is correct. We now handle most of the file formats that QT can. Checkout http://www.swideo.com to find out more about our latest product.

-- SWIDEO

Smile swvideo 3 vs flix lite 2.5

I am a modest web and graphic designer -
    I have both swvideo 3 (latest version) and
    FLIX lite 2.5.

In this debate I would offer this.

I personally find Flix (in the real world) a better tool.

swvideo may have some eye candy benefit and it does
    "convert" a video faster but I really question the quality vs compression (file size) result. For example, I design in 3dmax and output to avi. In a recent project, I created a 3.8 sec. segment consisting of a 320x240 clip with a small flame and static jpg background.

The resulting avi file was 414k (Ligos Indeo codec 5.11).
    Using Flix lite 2.5 the resulting file at 15fps was only
    52.8k. Good quality playback (MX).

The resulting QT mov file was 840k and using swvideo 3.0
    the resulting file was 540k (using the default settings) with the exception of fps - 15. (QT5 Pro doesn't support the Ligos 5.11 codec).

The quality suffered and frankly was not usable.

I only mention this because I feel that swvideo may be a good product but some of its claims are suspect.

"Produce the most optimized and smallest files with great quality. Our test show that at the same quality we produce smaller files than Flix or any other tool in the same category.
    Fast, very fast 650% faster at converting video than Flix."

Regards,

fxdesigner