A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Controlling Flash Movies

I want to control a flash movie from another flash movie that is in another frame on the website. is this possible? if so, how do I do it?

Hi JB,

You can load html (with other swf files) into other frames on the site from within a flash movie, but I don't think you can 'control' them, per say.

In order to use tell targets the moviesclips need to be relative to each other on layers. The movies in, essentially, two browser windows won't communicate that way.

here is the tute that describes loading into a frame from within flash movie:
    http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/In...53/index.shtml

See the code on page 2.

I hope that helps. What is the actual project, details...and all that. Will loading full movies be enough?

Yours truly,
    ~M

I'm making a flash navigation system for a website that will reside in a frame on the left hand side. Because I need to display different frames in the flash navigation system depending on where I am in the website, I want to be able to tell it to go to frame x from another flash movie in the main HTML frame.

Hi JB,

I ran across a thread that really outlined the considerations involved in doing this:

cross frame navigation
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...threadid=17322

I think thats a pretty good place to start, there is some good info in the thread.

I hope this helps get you there.

Yours truly,
    ~M

Thanks for the update.

Also note, for anyone reading this thread, that currently the FS command is not supported in Netscape 6 for ANY operating system, or so I'm told.

I will be making my site using the FS command, since this will the incompatibility problems will eliminate less than 3% of my page requests. I will also set up a non-flash version of the site.

Hopefully Macromedia will update their plugin so that the FS command will work in NS6 soon, and hopefully the IE5 for Mac, (i believe currently in beta), will include ActiveX

Happy Member
    Originally posted by JBAllRight

... that currently the FS command is not supported in Netscape 6 for ANY operating system...

Hopefully Macromedia will update their plugin so that the FS command will work in NS6 soon...
    And does anyone (e.g. Macromedia) even have the slightest idea when on earth this will happen?

Cheers,
    Marc

I sent an email to flash-wish@macromedia.com as soon as I heard of the problem, but so far I've only recieved the automated reply. "Your email will be looked at by many important ppl and given the highest consideration etc. etc"