A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: screen resolution

everybody who makes website knows the problem of matching every user's configuration. I'm a designing my new portfoliosite and I don't know what screenresolution to use.
    I know 800x600 is known as the standard but 79% of my visitors have a higher resolution. Wich resolution do i have to use or do I have to make 2 sites? what do you think guy? let me know.

visit me at http://www.jdzine.be.tf

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    I would keep it at 800x600 - but I wouldn't design another site for higher resolutions.

I got a number of Javascript errors when I went to your site. (PC using IE5)

i say.....F:"k it.... if people want to use the net they have to live with an everchangibg pace of things and one of those is resolution......

i don't CHAIN myself down because people would be able to see my site......

anyways i am on a 1280*1024 so hope to be seeing your site soon.....

en doe ze de groetjes in liiiiiiiimmmmmburg

i say.....F:"k it.... if people want to use the net they have to live with an everchangibg pace of things and one of those is resolution......
    Setting unrealistically high system requirements (including screen resolution) is one sure-fire way to piss people off. Given the fact that there are millions of Web sites out there competing for attention, the harder you make it for people to see what you have to offer, the more likely they are to go find it elsewhere.

Okay, if that doesn't matter to you then go ahead, make your site only welcoming to those browsing in ultra-high resolution. But before you make that decision, take a look at the really high-traffic sites of the Net -- Yahoo!, CNet, ZDNet, or whoever -- and notice that they tend to design either for 800x600 (sometimes even 640x480), or variable-width (so it fills whatever screen space is available).

This appears to be a portfolio site -- so you're trying to show your skill, but also that you know the Web and how it works. TO my mind, it won't give a good impression if you make the mistake of excluding potential visitors for the sake of higher screen resolution.

Senior Moderator
    FKs Banning Machine
    What is the recommended size (height and width) to make a Flash movie?

Determining the best size to create a Flash movie-
    Choosing a movie size is a decision that merits consideration. The larger the movie is displayed - when scaled to fit the browser window - the slower it will run, on any given platform. Performance is also dependent on screen resolution.

If the movie size is absolute - using specified pixel dimensions - one has more control over the frame rate. If a movie is larger than the region that will display in a browser window at 640 by 480 resolution (see below for actual pixel dimensions of available area), some users will not be able to see the whole movie at once, and will have to scroll to see the other parts. If the movie is scaled to the browser window, the movie will run considerably slower than might might be expected on large displays.

Another important factor, if scaling the movie, is the aspect ratio. The browser menus and toolbars are fixed pixel dimensions, and thus, are not proportional to the content window at different display resolutions. Choose the target display resolutions - ones that intended viewers are most likely to be using - and tailor the aspect ratio of the movie to that display resolution.

Browser Sizing-
    The following sizes take into account the widths of various interface items to show available working space for an unscaled Flash movie.

Internet Explorer 4-
    These measurements presume the user has a normal start menu, default menu, buttons, URL window, and status bar, vertical scrollbar 16 pixels wide (which may be discounted if scaling to fit, that is, add it to the widths shown below) and no horizontal scrollbar:

640x480 - 620x318
    800x600 - 780x438
    1024x768 - 1004x606
    1280x1024 - 1260x862

Netscape Navigator 3-
    These measurements presume the user has a normal start menu, default menu, buttons, URL window, and status bar, vertical scrollbar 16 pixels wide (which will appear whether scaling or not) and no horizontal scrollbar. Netscape also imposes a mandatory 10-pixel left and top margin if no frameset is used, so that must be subtracted from the following if not using framesets:

640x480 - 620x300
    800x600 - 780x420
    1024x768 - 1004x588
    1280x1024 - 1260x844

Netscape Navigator 4.07 & 4.5-
    These measurements presume the user has a normal start menu, default menu, buttons, URL window, and status bar, vertical scrollbar 16 pixels wide (which may be discounted if scaling to fit, that is, add it to the widths shown below) and no horizontal scrollbar):

640x480 - 620x302
    800x600 - 780x422
    1024x768 - 1004x590
    1280x1024 - 1260x846

Regardless of chosen aspect ratio, the following considerations apply:
    Using the full display dimensions (or aspect ratio) can be problematic. Always consider the true size of the window after the interface elements are displayed and use that size for the Flash movie.

When scaling the movie with the ExactFit option, on some displays, the movie will be distorted (stretched horizontally or vertically). Using the Default (Show All) option, some browsers configurations may have part of the work area showing.
    Using the NoBorder option may cut part of the movie off, either horizontally or vertically, depending on the aspect ratio of the movie.

thanx for the comments guys.

don't forget color display.

go with 256 to be safe...