A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Autorun from Flash

Is it possible to launch an autorun of install executable from a flash file? I want to create a flash presentation that will be burned to a CD with some software with an option in the presentation to launch the autorun. Can anyone help? FS Command?

Thanks.

Do you want something to boot up when the CD is inserted? If so create a text file named autorun.inf with the following contents:

[autorun]
    open=filename.exe
    icon=iconname.ico

If you have that part down, and just want to call another exe, use the EXEC FSCommand.

Hope that helps,
    Rick

I want to be able to launch a setup .exe file from the flash piece. Not autorun the projector itself. How do I set up the FSCommand?

Oh, by the way, thanks.

Cool. I'm just a little slow on the uptake. Bear with me.

You use FS Command like any other action, just assign it to a button or a frame, whichever works for you.

The syntax is:

FS Command ("Exec","File Location")

or

place exec in the command box and the file location in the arguments box. Flash will support relational links, so you don't have to know the CD drive letter.

Does that help? Let me know.

I'll be trying out tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I'll post a reply tomorrow.

Happy to help.

To be honest, I couldn't resist with your monkier.

Ok, I tried it out and it's not working. Here is the actual code syntax:

On(Press)
    FS Command("Exec","D:\BLUECAT_I386\SETUP.SH")
    End On

Is there something wrong with the syntax?

Okay, there are a couple things here:

1) You don't know that your end users' CD drives are going to be D:.
    2) A Flash projector can only exec exes and bats.

Ohhh......

Can a .swf open it?

What if you want the exe. to run AND then open a file (like acrobat would then open a pdf)? Can it be done?

jferf(or anyone else out there),

I won't be able to run the projector since the flash piece will be viewed on Linux. Can I call an FSCommand through the .swf that will run a linux setup program?

Well if your executable can run without runtime files then you can open your program from the cdrom with command line parameters

/somefolder/sometextfilereader.exe a.txt

These can be excuted from flash easily.. see this thread for how it's done.. http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...?threadid=6974

I'm currently working on a program that opens up program files in the default application.. The program is actually done but I'm working on a revision which is highly optimized (small file size) with command line intrepreter to browse the users cdrom..

If you need this program badly.. I can offer up a Beta or old version of this program (it works though) for your use.. (my re-vision will be done eventually) you could also of course purchase a program from http://www.***********.com that does the same thing..

As the name implies, I'm rather new at Flash.

Mind giving me a walkthrough?

Linux..??

Wow, your out there.. not a chance could you call a executable from a .swf through a web page.. (that would make it easy to abuse another persons system) but you could if Macromedia built a default .swf viewer like they did for windows then you should be able call open a executable..

However, don't quote me.. Linux/Unix is whole different way of doing things..

Finding linux help for flash has got to be a rare thing.. I would start if I where you at http://www.linuxnewbie.org

When it comes to Linux, I'm the idiot. I've no idea how you could do it.

On a Windows platform, I would say something similar to The Master... get a helper app to launch the program. But, straight from the swf gets a wee bit complicated.

I need to noodle a bit. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Thanks guys for all your help. It looks like I'm at a dead end on this one. But I do appreciate the insight and the effort.