A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desparate for help, speaker system won't work!

FK Doctor of Love
    I was sitting here five minutes ago working on Flash and playing Winamp at a very low volume, when a loud, sharp buzz noise came from my subwoofer and then my speaker system shut off. I have no sound. Does anyone know what would cause this, I don't even have power anymore to the satellites or anything.

The set is an Altec Lansing ATP5 (4 satellites and a subwoofer).

Have you kicked out the power connector? Might the transformer have burned out?

FK Doctor of Love
    whattya mean "kicked out"?

I unplugged the cord and tried it in different outlets...

it didn't work in any, before it messed up it was plugged into a surge protector with my monitor and tower, and those still work fine now

oops

sounds like you have a> blown your speakers (new set of speakers ahoy) b> blown the fuse (easy to fix if you live in england don't know about other countries!!)... bad luck mate!

FK Doctor of Love
    The place I bought it from will replace it within the first 30 days, which it is...

The bad thing is I am working on a very important Flash intro and I need the speakers when I put the sound into the movie (after all, I want to know what it sounds like, )

FK Doctor of Love

Re: oops

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
    sounds like you have a> blown your speakers (new set of speakers ahoy) b> blown the fuse (easy to fix if you live in england don't know about other countries!!)... bad luck mate!
    how the **** could I have done that at a barely audible sound level of Winamp?

FK Doctor of Love
    nothing else?

Originally posted by FatalJay
    The place I bought it from will replace it within the first 30 days, which it is...

The bad thing is I am working on a very important Flash intro and I need the speakers when I put the sound into the movie (after all, I want to know what it sounds like, )
    I'll send you mine! *Throws them to Jays housE* did you get um??

FK Doctor of Love
    Originally posted by L0g1k

I'll send you mine! *Throws them to Jays housE* did you get um??
    thanks, but I dropped em, now you have to get new ones too

FK Doctor of Love
    oh, get this too, I have to repay the shipping to send these defective speakers (had em less than two weeks) back...

and if I don't have everything, original box, manual, blank warranty cards, etc. I get charged another $35

Silly question - but can't you use headphones? Or have you blown the actual sound card?

plug one of the satelites into the soundcard. Be careful not to turn the vol. up too loud. It will be really tinny but will get you by.

FK Doctor of Love
    I can plug headphones into the tower, yes, I will do that til I get these back.

I don't think it's the soundcard, cuz the speaker system won't power up, that's the problem. And my device manager says the sound card is working fine.

Eat Rice!
    Cheap speakers... That's my guess. What brand and how much are they?

I'm an audiophile and musician so I go overboard.

I hooked up a DTS Dolby Digital Receiver to my computer with 5.1 surround sound speakers and the works. And instead of a normal subwoofer, i use a massive Bass Guitar Amp. w00t!!! This baby rocks the house. Its sooo fun playing with sound surrounding you. Plus, i have my piano Keyboard / workstation hooked up too.

FK Doctor of Love
    Altec Lansing ATP5 (4x35 watt satellites and a 45 watt subwoofer), cost me $210.

Anyway, I plugged in the headphones into the sound card, and they work fine.

I am also very impressed with Thortek.com's customer service, that's where I bought them. I called for a RMA (return merchandise authorization number) and they called back within 20 minutes with the number. Also, they are shipping me out a new set tomorrow morning, I should get them on Monday/Tuesday. I thought I was going to have to wait a week to two weeks.

Considering the situation, I am a happy camper

Eat Rice!
    *shudders*

altec lansing. I hate those speakers, although those particular ones are quite nice. I'm surprised at the low wattage though. i guess that's the norm for computer speakers? I'm used to pounding out 300 watts.

Swishmeister
    Altec Lansing speakers do not work with AMD

FK Doctor of Love
    Originally posted by AngelArs
    Ah, thought I could escape the wrath of AngelArs and SwishY...

but, alas, I have not

Swishmeister
    Originally posted by AngelArs
    Ah, thought I could escape the wrath of AngelArs and SwishY...

but, alas, I have not
    hahaha I haven't read the whole thread, but i gather you aregetting new spkrs anyway right?

What's that you say? They are shipping them UPS?
    hahahahaha you'll get them in a month

Eat Rice!
    ewwwwww... bad speakers and bad shipping=badddddd.