A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ****** Feedback for SWiSH V2 Beta 1 ******

Great!

I love V2 i hope it comes out soon so i can upgrade then use the export since it doesnt work yet

P.S. Like the footer?

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Great!

Originally posted by deltawolf
    P.S. Like the footer?
    What is an "extroinair" .. do you mean "Extraordinaire" ??

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Round Rectangles

I think it is the instructions that are not to clear.

I followed the instruction from before and click and then dragged the mouse and got a four-pointed star shape.

I looked at the code (a luxurt mere mortals don't have) and found that what you need to do is this...

1. Click (press and release) on the top-left corner of the rectangle.
    2. Move the mouse (with button released) to the bottom right corner (you'll see the rectangle outline)
    3. Press and drag to round the corners.
    4. Release the mouse button to finish.

Those instructions are more clear -- And I was able to create a perfect rounded triangle . . . However, do this :

1) Click on the 'rectangle' shape button . . .

2) Click the left mouse button somewhere on the screen and release. **don't move the mouse**

3) Click the left mouse button again and hold it down, then drag it to where the bottom right hand corner of the rectangle might be.

4) Release the mouse button . . .

This should create a sort-of Kite shape . . .

That is what I was doing, and is why I thought there was a bug in the rounded rectangle . . .

As for the "OK" button on the effects dialogue boxes, I understand what you are saying Mr. Onslow . . . But the "X" was misleading for me . . . That "X" on windows, usually implies to Close the Window (which it does) . . . However, in almost all cases, if you change settings in a window, then click on the "X" (or 'close') button before you 'apply' or 'ok' the changes, you will lose the changes you've made . . . For example, if you make all sorts of changes to your Display Settings in Windows (change screen resolution, make all fonts and icons larger, etc., then click on the "X" button, the changes won't be applied. I hope that explains why I wanted the 'ok' button. But, now that I know it isn't necessary, I retract my request

Peaces and Such
    cadence

Originally posted by Hung-Hsin Chang
    Originally posted by Xcel
    I will say that I wont be able to use the radial gradients though...I have never figured it out and I have had every release so far. I dare someone to create a realistic looking ball/sphere and post it. I dont think it can be done. Its so simple in other programs, I dont know why Sweish cant do it.
    Get the ball.swi here
    http://members.optushome.com.au/hhchang/ball.swi

It's easy to do it.

1. Draw a circle.
    2. Fill it with radial gradient and adjust the gradient color.
    3. Use the filling transform tool to offset the gradient fill.

Ok, I will take your word that you created it in Swish, but I am amazed as I have not been able to creat anything with the radial fill that didnt look like garbage. Nice work, I will have to get in there and try again.

Wow! I just tried to create a sphere and it created one Identical to yours automatically...without even manipulating the fill. Somehow opening your sphere swi set my gradient fill to default to the same style.....it does work....thanks.
    [Edited by Xcel on 04-08-2001 at 11:34 PM]

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by Cadence
    As for the "OK" button on the effects dialogue boxes, I understand what you are saying Mr. Onslow . . . But the "X" was misleading for me . . . That "X" on windows, usually implies to Close the Window (which it does) . . . However, in almost all cases, if you change settings in a window, then click on the "X" (or 'close') button before you 'apply' or 'ok' the changes, you will lose the changes you've made . . . For example, if you make all sorts of changes to your Display Settings in Windows (change screen resolution, make all fonts and icons larger, etc., then click on the "X" button, the changes won't be applied.
    There are two types of windows/dialogs etc in windows.

Modal ones and Modeless ones.

In a modal dialog or window, information is entered in and nothing happens until you either press OK or Apply. If you press Cancel, then the changes are never applied. Either OK or Cancel will also close the dialog (or window).

In a modeless dialog or window, information is entered in and the changes are applied immediately. There is no need for an OK or Apply button, because the information is already applied. And there is no need for a Cancel button, because it is too late to not apply the changes.

To distiguish between the two, a modal dialog or window will have OK and/or Cancel buttons (and maybe Apply). A modeless dialog or window will not.

For example, the toolbar windows in an application are all modeless. In SWiSH all the Panels are modeless. And now, so is the Effect dialog .. in fact we could have made it into a panel like all hte others, but (of necessity) it is quite big and would take up and waste too much room if docked .. so it always floats.

Previously the effect dialog was a strange and non-standard mix of modal and modeless dialog. OK did nothing but close the dialog, because changes were applied straight away. The dialog was not fully modeless because you couldn't interact with the rest of the application while the dialog was open.

Now the effect dialog behaves in the same way as the panels and toolbars and feel less restrictive because one can still use everythin else in SWiSH while the effect dialog is open.
    I hope that explains why I wanted the 'ok' button. But, now that I know it isn't necessary, I retract my request
    Consider it retracted

Originally posted by sleblang
    Originally posted by Xcel
    I just want to comment on the rounded rectangles since you are getting complaints. I think the way you did them is the best I have ever seen. I use some high end programs and none of them have it setup the way Swish does. It is so easy to change angles and roundness.

I will say that I wont be able to use the radial gradients though...I have never figured it out and I have had every release so far. I dare someone to create a realistic looking ball/sphere and post it. I dont think it can be done. Its so simple in other programs, I dont know why Sweish cant do it.
    Maybe you can explain it better than the previous posts...because I am following the post and it still doesn't seem to be creating rounded corners.

Thanks.
    Click your rectangle tool>click a spot where you want to start drawing and release, dont drag>now move your mouse with no buttons pressed>click again and hold>drag until you get the desired corner. Its a little tricky, but it seems like a superior way to create rounded corners to me.

I requested this during the Alphas and I guess they were listening.

This may have already been reported, but I can't seem to get tell target working with frame labels, only frame numbers. Is this intentional/a current limitation? Perhaps we need a dialog box to enter frame labels manually?

Thanks, Will

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by flashopper
    This may have already been reported, but I can't seem to get tell target working with frame labels, only frame numbers. Is this intentional/a current limitation? Perhaps we need a dialog box to enter frame labels manually?

Thanks, Will
    Tell Target has nothing to do with frame numbers or frame names.

Tell target is for talking to sprites (or for sprites talking to the main movie).

Eg.
    create a sprite with some animation in it and name the sprite "FRED".

Add a rectangle (say) to the main scene. Add a "Roll Over" event to the recatngle with a Tell Target action with target="FRED" and add a sub-action to it (like you do for if-frame-loaded) that is "Stop". Add a "Roll Out" event that does a Tell Target to taget="FRED" with a sub-action of "Play".

Now when the mouse rolls over the rectangle, then animation will stop and when the mouse rolls out of the rectange it will keep playin again

Here's an example: The effect is just a single V2 transform characters effet. Move your mouse over the red rectangle to stop the animation and move it off again to make it resume playing

[swf width="300" height="100" background="#FFFFFF"]http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~roger_onslow/TellTargetExample.swf[/swf]

Download the V2 Beta 1 swi from http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~rog...getExample.swi

Yes, my question definitely has to do with tell target, I think I just didn't specify it enough.

Here's the scenario:

Made a sprite in the main timeline. Within the sprite, made a rounded rectangle, and assigned the following action:

On Release
    Tell Target "../"
    Goto Frame 30 and Play

Works fine: click on the sprite's rectangle, the action starting at frame 30 in the main timeline runs. however, if I apply a frame label to frame 30 and then try to call that within a tell target, I get no label selections and no place to enter a label manually:

On Release
    Tell Target "../"
    Goto Frame Label [Can't choose a label here, nor can I enter one manually]

Does this make more sense? It seems to only happen on the "Goto Frame" within a tell target, because you can use a "goto frame label" no problem on a regular non-tell-target object.

Hopefully I spelled out my question a little more clearly this time, let me know if you'd like me to clarify further, I'm probably trying to condense this more than might be helpful.

Best, Will

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    OK .. now I understand .. you're talking about go to frame from within a Tell Target! I can reprodcue that problem.

The Go To frame dialog is being too clever for its own good. It is only showing you the labels available in sprite/movie in which the action occurs (ie only the labels in your sprite).

I'll have to have a thinkg upon that and see what we can do. As a minimal quick fix it should allow you to specify the label directly rather than forcing yuo to choose from the combo box list of scene names.

I'll have to investigate further also and see if specifying a full path name for a lable can be done so that you don't need the tell target in that case anyway.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by jomis003
    Just got Beta 1. Looks Great and looking forward to final. I dont know if this is a bug but something I ran across. I installe B1 on my NT4 pc. I then made a copy of one of my project I created in 1.52. This project has a series of rollovers that I set up as buttons. I opened it in B1 and it played w/o problems. I then set up the first text as a button. When I went to play it to test the button, I got a Dr. Watson and it crashed. I was able to do this in Alpha 6 so I dont think its an NT compatibility issue. I can open it back up on a new movie and create a fresh text button with no problems. Are there any issue with converting old work?? If you need I can send the swi file.
    The problem is that the text you are trying to convert to a button has a complex effect.

Because of this, you cannot simply convert it to a button.

If you want to do this in the current version, convert it to a sprite first (so the effect is wrapped up inside the sprite) and then convert the sprite to a button.

I've fixed the next V2 alpha so that it will do this conversion for you (but only if you have just a single object selected). So in your case, it should all work in the next version.

Is there a way to resize an entire sprite (to exact dimensions) ??

I know that you can grab the handles of a sprite and resize it that way . . . But, there isn't any Width and Height boxes anywhere that I can find . . . Am I missing it ??

If it isn't in there, perhaps it should be . . . for those really picky perfectionists, like me

Thanks

Cadence

Is there a way to resize an entire sprite (to exact dimensions) ??

I know that you can grab the handles of a sprite and resize it that way . . . But, there isn't any Width and Height boxes anywhere that I can find . . . Am I missing it ??
    Try the Transform tab.

Hey Guys!...Looking good!
    I'm assuming we will be able to layer transparent sprites over other sprites?
    Other than that I was just wondering if you have a ballpark on when a exportable beta will be ready?
    I'm not rushing you, just curious!
    Keep up the great work!...ziggy

Originally posted by roger_onslow
    As for the "OK" button on the effects dialogue boxes, I understand what you are saying Mr. Onslow . . . But the "X" was misleading for me . . . That "X" on windows, usually implies to Close the Window (which it does) . . . However, in almost all cases, if you change settings in a window, then click on the "X" (or 'close') button before you 'apply' or 'ok' the changes, you will lose the changes you've made . . . For example, if you make all sorts of changes to your Display Settings in Windows (change screen resolution, make all fonts and icons larger, etc., then click on the "X" button, the changes won't be applied.
    There are two types of windows/dialogs etc in windows.

Modal ones and Modeless ones.

In a modal dialog or window, information is entered in and nothing happens until you either press OK or Apply. If you press Cancel, then the changes are never applied. Either OK or Cancel will also close the dialog (or window).

In a modeless dialog or window, information is entered in and the changes are applied immediately. There is no need for an OK or Apply button, because the information is already applied. And there is no need for a Cancel button, because it is too late to not apply the changes.

To distiguish between the two, a modal dialog or window will have OK and/or Cancel buttons (and maybe Apply). A modeless dialog or window will not.

For example, the toolbar windows in an application are all modeless. In SWiSH all the Panels are modeless. And now, so is the Effect dialog .. in fact we could have made it into a panel like all hte others, but (of necessity) it is quite big and would take up and waste too much room if docked .. so it always floats.

Previously the effect dialog was a strange and non-standard mix of modal and modeless dialog. OK did nothing but close the dialog, because changes were applied straight away. The dialog was not fully modeless because you couldn't interact with the rest of the application while the dialog was open.

Now the effect dialog behaves in the same way as the panels and toolbars and feel less restrictive because one can still use everythin else in SWiSH while the effect dialog is open.
    I hope that explains why I wanted the 'ok' button. But, now that I know it isn't necessary, I retract my request
    Consider it retracted
    I have to agree with the previous post from Cadence. The "x" was also misleading for me, and I found myself clicking the "save" button as I wanted to insure that my changes would be saved. From my experience, typically if you want to save changes, you select "ok" or "apply" and if you want to dispose (or not apply) the changes you choose "cancel". Photoshop is a prime example of a program that utilizes this technique.

Thanks.

I think the new modeless box is awesome, it is so clean. And the effects continue to get more flexible, it's overwhelming and awesome at the same time!

One question on the snake effect decay controls: what are the "A" and "P" checkboxes representative of? I've experimented with them and seen different results, so I can explain them just by results, but what do they actually stand for?

thanks for any info/insight!

Will

Sounds . . .

Another question . . .

After adding a sound . . . in the options' settings, where it has Fade In, Fade from Right to Left, etc. I noticed the setting "custom" . . . What exactly is that ? How do you customize the sound options ? I would like to have a sound loop fade from right to left then back to right, etc. etc.

Has this options not yet been added ? Or, once again, am I just blind (which seems to be the case all too often)

Thanks

Cadence

I was wondering about that myself..

Rogers Quote

Rogers quote:

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
    So far, the Universe is winning."

hey...wait a minute...I think I resemble.... er uhh resent that statement. LOL

But hey if thats true...Swish is a perfect solution. And this only opens up opportunities for folks like you to make money. Enjoyed seeing yalls pics on the site....gday mate...from the US. hehehh...