A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Creating a website from scratch in FLASH?

Creating a website from scratch in FLASH?

Can anyone please guide me on how to create an entire website in Flash. I know the basic concepts of flash as well as having quite a bit of experience here and there in buttons and animation. Recently just got the slooow hang of "track as menus".
    But Ive been stumped at how to even begin making a website ONLY in Flash if this is possible without using Dreamweaver or anything else as such. Do I need to use Dreamweaver or other third party program to create my page(s) or can I just do without?

Plus if anyone has any experience on creating the "Loading bar" showing how much of the movie has loaded I have a problem with the scripts using Flash 4. Getting an error everytime I try to insert the script and try to hit OK.
    Do reply for more info please...

hey man sounds like me and you have the same problem - haha. i'll watch this board too. email me if you get a chance claytonjohnson182@hotmail.com

later

Space for rent

Hey there! we have alot of tutorials on making flash sites. And if you got any specific questions , feel free to IM me at DR Mell. I love helping people out. I was at your point, and its hard getting started without much help. Like I said, feel free to post questions here or IM me. Good luck!

newbie once...but after 4 months

my first site is html, then i got hooked on flash. My first flash site was created using source files form:

http://www.crazyraven.com
    http://www.moock.org
    http://www.flashfaq.net

then i learned about flash kit and my world tumbled down.

Hey, i say go for it. All it is is a matter of designing a whole page in flash, meanwhile keeping the filesize small. I recomend that if you have a lot of text, etc, to do the text part just in Dreamweaver because you dont really need to do it in flash. Good luck!
    Much monkey love,
    Alessandra

this is the first flash site I did, about 7 months ago.

you can use it as you wish but there is some pretty crude stuff in it and if I were doing a site now I wouldn't necessarily use this method.

The buttons on the left won't link to anything so don't pay much attention to them.

The buttons at the top link to different keyfrrames with GoTo actions. You can amend these and have the different pages in different scenes.

Having said that it was the first site I did so if you can learn anything from it doing your first site then all the best !!

http://www.92degrees.co.uk/downloads/index.zip

Space for rent
    Originally posted by swampy
    this is the first flash site I did, about 7 months ago.

you can use it as you wish but there is some pretty crude stuff in it and if I were doing a site now I wouldn't necessarily use this method.

The buttons on the left won't link to anything so don't pay much attention to them.

The buttons at the top link to different keyfrrames with GoTo actions. You can amend these and have the different pages in different scenes.

Having said that it was the first site I did so if you can learn anything from it doing your first site then all the best !!

http://www.92degrees.co.uk/downloads/index.zip
    Swampy, would ya mind sending me a copy of the to visioncyle@aol.com? some reason I cant view it.

Space for rent

Re: Creating a website from scratch in FLASH?

Originally posted by TurnItUpG
    Can anyone please guide me on how to create an entire website in Flash. I know the basic concepts of flash as well as having quite a bit of experience here and there in buttons and animation. Recently just got the slooow hang of "track as menus".
    But Ive been stumped at how to even begin making a website ONLY in Flash if this is possible without using Dreamweaver or anything else as such. Do I need to use Dreamweaver or other third party program to create my page(s) or can I just do without?

Plus if anyone has any experience on creating the "Loading bar" showing how much of the movie has loaded I have a problem with the scripts using Flash 4. Getting an error everytime I try to insert the script and try to hit OK.
    Do reply for more info please...
    I dont know about you guys, but I find it runs smoother with u differ up my movie say musicloop in one swf, movie in 2 swf's and jus link em together, what do yall think?

What i did with my site was make it all on .swf file.
    I used 2 scenes 1 for just a preloader and the other the site.

http://www7.ewebcity.com/zsect/default.htm

Have a look and if you have any questions, ask and i will explain.

What I've done recently is load SWF's over the top as and when they're needed so that the whole site needn't download to be viewed. I also load text files into the main site for ease of update and editting.

Originally posted by Gedion

Swampy, would ya mind sending me a copy of the to visioncyle@aol.com? some reason I cant view it. [/B]
    sent

Space for rent

Thanks!

Ok, heres where I break down my problems. So u made the site in Flash. But the default.htm page (the one that loads first to detect if flash plugin is installed), im assuming that u used something like dreamweaver to create tjat page and not Flash. Thats all I was wondering really is if I can save my flash creations as .html format from Flash. I dont think this is possible and have come to the watery conclusion that once Ive made my movies within movies and buttons and menus, only then do I insert the .SWF format onto a .html page using Dreamweaver... right?

If this is so, how do I go about determining what the onscreen size of my page should be considering that many ppl use different resolutions of 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and so forth. Is there a default page size limit that I should be sticking to?

Thanks for listening.

To Swampy: >What I've done recently is load SWF's over the >top as and when they're needed so that the whole site >needn't download to be viewed. I also load text files into >the main site for ease of update and editting.

Im sorry I dint understand a word uv said here. Like as in "over the top of what?". A movie, button, something else perhaps?

Swampy, would u mind sending this file to me as well please. I keep getting an unexpected Format error using Flash 4 after unzipping it. Dunno whats behind that =(

Thanx.

Space for rent
    Originally posted by TurnItUpG
    Ok, heres where I break down my problems. So u made the site in Flash. But the default.htm page (the one that loads first to detect if flash plugin is installed), im assuming that u used something like dreamweaver to create tjat page and not Flash. Thats all I was wondering really is if I can save my flash creations as .html format from Flash. I dont think this is possible and have come to the watery conclusion that once Ive made my movies within movies and buttons and menus, only then do I insert the .SWF format onto a .html page using Dreamweaver... right?

If this is so, how do I go about determining what the onscreen size of my page should be considering that many ppl use different resolutions of 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and so forth. Is there a default page size limit that I should be sticking to?

Thanks for listening.

To Swampy: >What I've done recently is load SWF's over the >top as and when they're needed so that the whole site >needn't download to be viewed. I also load text files into >the main site for ease of update and editting.

Im sorry I dint understand a word uv said here. Like as in "over the top of what?". A movie, button, something else perhaps?
    Me personally?, I do 100% of broswer size. I dont match movie. But thats just my opinion

I created my whole site with flash 4.
    The default page has just a simple hyperlink pointing to
    a .html page that has the .swf embeded in it.

You can save your flash movie in .html format

select Publish Settings
    and select HTML
    set Dimensions to Percent
    then just click on the Publish button.

Hey, this is cool!

<div style="background-color: white; border: solid white">
    I'm new! Hey, I like this!
    <p>
    Hmmmmmmmmm <i>*still looking*</i>
    </div>