A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: starting out

I am sponge bob

Talking

for the past five months i have forfitted a life, with the exception of occasional poetry readings, and have dedicated myself to learning the elements of web design and everything i found fun about computers, and have gained a respect and love for it
    i've taught myself basic networking, i'd say i'm about average in server configuration, i'm learning how to set up intranets, i've also moved to learning servers other than iis and pws, and i'm currently teaching myself apache, and linux(not going to well) and php, i know basic javascript, and edit about 65-78% of all scripts i come across, i've learned basic and a little bit of advanced graphic design, how to build computers from strach ( i crashed and put in f'd up hard drives on perpose), but the subject of this isn't what i've learned but what i'm not learning
    i can't seem to get clients, i realize my site needs a serious update as well as and actual server but usally most people or referenced to me after seeeing something i've thrown together for someone or if they happen to see me on a project, i want to create my own company but so far i only have the name, i'm working on the next version of my site as we speak it'll be completly flash with a more or less simular static alturnitive, but until then and even then what do i do to get clients and let people know to take me seriuosly, i can never give someone a quote and always end up guessing how much their site should cost. i mean i don't know what do i've had about 10 grand in porsective clients that i could have actually kept if i didn't guess so high in my quotes, please help

my email is poeticthought@onebox.com

thanx, poetic
    (the guy with no life, just a computer screen)

Angry

If you are ever unsure of what to charge, allow them to suggest a price and then double it. You may laugh, but it normally covers your own costs and leaves a reasonable profit. Try it.

E.

site cost

aim high, charge more, if your stuff is worth it they'll pay

Angry

through the nose, no less.

E.

Everything takes three times as long as you think it will....

Angry

...so charge 3 times as much?

E.

Just know how much time things take, and how valuable your time is.

Always factor in client neurosis too!

When i started out i had the same problem, not knowing how much to charge, i think the first thing you need to do is talk to other web designers in your region and ask them to give you an idea, if you find that they may not help you to avoid competition than go to a web design studio and fake you want to make a site, find out how much they charge per page and calculate. I can tell you anything because in Italy things probably are different, we basically charge in pages and all the work we have to do.

You got to learn i believe about planning a website, once you have learn it it will be easier for you to decide how big is going to be and how much work is going to take you, than make up your mind on the cost of it. If you are starting out, i think that making low prices that other designers will give you a start, and always remember when starting out, you can't begin from the top, even if you just do little sites for little business the importance is that you build experience in not only making sites but dealing with posible clients. So, find out how much they charge in your area and make it a little less and a good work. Also see how good those designer that charge are, because sometimes some designers can charge a higher rate but their work is incredible, if you are beggining you can't do the same.

Once you have an idea as to what you charge, be consistent. Don't charge one client $2000 for a site but another $3000 for the same amount of work and content. Local business communities are small and you need as much positive word-of-mouth as possible.

Top 5 no-no's in landing a contract:

1. Don't ask a client what their budget is and formulate a quote based on their available funds. Charge them what your work is worth. If they can't/won't pay that much, offer to scale down the content - but don't undersell yourself just to get the work!

2. Don't tell a client that they pay xxx dollars and then change the quote after you've done the work, realizing you orginally undercharged them. if you agree on a price, stick to it.

3. Don't begin the work without some kind of deposit which is verified in a signed contract. You don't want a client to pull out just before you finishe their site and have nothing to show for it. Don't take a client on a handshake. Have a contract and make sure it's explained before it's signed.

4. Don't tell a client that you can do ASP/Flash/etc. if you really can't. Be up front on your abilities and sell yourself as the BEST person for the job. Your soft skills are as important as your technical skills.

5. Don't do work for free just to increase your portfolio. If you're contributing your skills for fun, more power to ya, but if businesses hear you did someone's site for free because you were starting out and needed the experience on your CV, then you've dug yourself a hole. Providing your work for a non-profit organization or some charity-type thing for free is very generous and not a bad idea, but rememeber - you need to make a living.

Have fun!

Beyond the Sea

great advice

Also, be aware of taxes. Where do you live? IF you're in the States, keep out about 1/3 of the money you make for taxes. If you're making quite a bit, pay your taxes quarterly as an independent contractor. This will keep you from having to get a business license and have all those starting costs. Plus, you can still save receipts on reasonable items connected with this new venture and use them as deductions once tax time comes around. Things like software, hardware, etc.