A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: rollover menu - delayed response

I've created a flash (4) rollover menu with pop-up submenus. The menu works when you move your mouse over the buttons slowly. However, when I roll my mouse over the whole menu quickly, some of the buttons stay lit, and the pop up submenus stay up until I roll over the buttons again. Is this due to the file size? Its 200kb right now.

Is there any way I can control this problem?
    I would greatly appreciate any responses or suggestions.

Thanks!

Marina Gokman

I think it's more a matter of you moving the mouse so quickly that the buttons aren't "catching" the activity. One thing you can do to make it more likely that your buttons will catch faster mouse activity:

Put a transparent button "around" your whole menu. Have the "on roll over" command of the transparent button do the exact same thing as the "on roll off" buttons it surrounds does. For instance: let's say you have a menu item that pops up. When you roll over it, it turns a different color. When you roll off of it, the whole menu item needs to disappear. So - put your "disappear" code in both the "on roll off" of the menu item itself and the "on roll over" of the surrounding invisible button. If one doesn't catch it, the other will.

Obviously you can make the transparent button do whatever you want; it's good to use as a failsafe in case the mouse doesn't catch it the first time. You could also put transparent "slivers" in between every menu item to serve the same purpose.

I hope this helps a little!

thanks katharine.

I tried it both by putting "slivers" under each button or putting one invisible button under the whole menu. but the menu works exactly the same.

any other ideas?

Here's another suggestion: check the hit space on your drop down menu items. Are they text based? If so, you might want to create a keyframe in the hit space that contains a solid rectangle. Otherwise the only part that the mouse will pick up will be what you see - which isn't much when it comes to some illustrations, and certainly when it comes to text.

Again, I have no idea what your structure is like, but if the above applies to you, it's worth a shot...

Best,
    Katharine