A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Where to get work???

i've been doing flash for about a year now. i've gotten pretty good IMHO. I've got a friend who is a pretty good salesman, but not half as skilled as me in web design or flash, so he farms work out to me. it's not a horrible arrangement, but I'd like to not depend on him. I was just wondering if I could get some successful ideas on where to find freelance jobs. I've tried a couple of services like e-lance...enough said on that. Just wondering what people found successful....e-mailing companies or web design firms? direct mail? advertising? cold calls? word of mouth?
    Any advice eagerly accepted.
    Thanks.
    Keith

I've gotten 2 web design jobs simply from going around town and putting out flyers with rip tags on the bottom. That only took me a few hours to do.

Your best bet is just what Gotha said. Just go in search of clients. Thats the best way to do it. Flyers, mailers, business cards, you name it.

Another good way is to case a business in your area. Find out if they need or could use a site, come up with a detailed plan (even better if you can present them with a simple demo they can check out) that shows everything their site will include and why it will help their business out, and then start talking to the owners. When I was first starting out, this was my only outlet. As I did more and more sites, I quickly found that business owners know other business owners. That leads to bigger and bigger jobs.

I think the biggist problem most designers have is their lack of business skills. Most just sit around and wait for clients to fall in their lap. That will never happen. In order to make it, you have to work for it.

If your in school, I would sugest you take some business classes. They can help! Even if your not in school, most biz schools offer short term classes that will teach you what you need to know.

Hey, I know what it's like just starting out! If you ever need any advice, just e-mail me teck@mad.scientist.com and I'll help out. I have 2 business and 3 computer degs and have been running my own web design firm with 4 other ppl for almost a year and a half now (all this and im only 21!).

Take care,
    Lou C. Fur

Another tip I just came across. Radio. Ok, so its nothing new, but it's something to think about. I'm in the Detroit area. One of our AM stations (the biggist AM station in the state) has VERY cheep rates. I know...I know...ewwww AM, but hey, some of the stations have a wide audiance.

Another good way...phone book.

Lou C. Fur.

Originally posted by Lou C. Fur
    Another tip I just came across. Radio. Ok, so its nothing new, but it's something to think about. I'm in the Detroit area. One of our AM stations (the biggist AM station in the state) has VERY cheep rates. I know...I know...ewwww AM, but hey, some of the stations have a wide audiance.

Another good way...phone book.

Lou C. Fur.
    Very interesting. I never even thought of that, probably cause I always assumed you would need some major money. Maybe not though. Can you give us a ballpark figure on what a 15-30 second spot on AM radio would cost where you live, and by the way, where do you live?

Rates

Yeah, thats what I thought. As it turns out though, it's not that bad. The price all depends on when and/or what show you what the spot to play, how long the spot will play, who from the station, if any will read the spot and how much work they will need to do the spot.

Check your local paper. Most list radio contacts for the area. Otherwise you'll have to hunt down the station yourself. When you call, ask for the sales department or who you can talk to about placing an ad. When you talk to whoever they send you to, simply tell them who you are and ask for a rate card.

Want some free ad time? We got our first spot by doing the website of one for on of the DJ's for free. She would promote us once everyday for almost 2 months.

Lou C. Fur

Rates

As far as rates go, this is what im looking at..

3 times a day, from 4:30pm to 12:30am (ad must be aired no less then 1.5 hours apart...so they cant cram them all in in the last hour or 2) for one week....total $255.32USD. Thats not to bad in terms of ads go. Now they had better plans and time slots, but I went for this cuz of the main program...The Small Business Show(almost 4 hours long) followed (only 3 times a week) by New Teck Hour.

Like i said, give the stations a call, you never now. Even some FM stations had some great rates (some even better then the one I got, I just took it cuz of the show).

Lou C. Fur

Any business or stock talk is a good spot.

You get the commute that way..

yep

Bingo. Stock shows are almost better then small business shows. They can open up a whole new place to apply web design.

Lou C. Fur