A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hqx files

Probably a bit basic for some of you, but can someone explain to me how hqx files work?

I've created my flash movie that needs to work on PC and Mac platforms. When I try to open the hqx file on a mac all I get is a dialog box asking me which programme I would like to open it from... When I view the file on my PC all I see is a winzip file and no .hqx extension.

The exe file works perfectly on the PC...no surprise there!

Am I missing something in the process...help would be much appreciated.

Hi ALBIONGULL,
    your question was asked before, perform a search for "hqx" and you can find a lot of threads.

I´ve never developed Flash on a PC, but as far as I understand, you need to have a BinHex encoder installed on your Mac. A hqx file is some kind of compressed file for Mac (like zip for windows).
    The "StuffitExpander" from Aladdin does the decompression job. http://www.aladdinsys.com/downloads/index.html
    After decompression you should get a playable Mac projector.

Hope it helps
    cheers

Cheers thanks for your help, will give it a go.

... in addition, the reason you don't *see* the .hqx extension on your PC is that you don't have the Defaults for the Explorer views to show files extensions. If you turn this option on, you can see the .hqx.

me2222 is partial correct as well. You need a BinHex [binary hexidecimal] *decoder* to decode the .hqx file into the Mac version for the Projector.

All Apple computers come with Aladdin Stuffit Expander, which is the most common tool used to 'expand' the .hqx archive.

ndl

Originally posted by ndl

me2222 is partial correct as well. You need a BinHex [binary hexidecimal] *decoder* to decode the .hqx file into the Mac version for the Projector.

ndl
    Ahh yes, "decoder" and "encoder", I allways mix them up