A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: looking for tutorial/resources...

I am currently working on projects that involve using flash within director movies. (I am fairly new to flash)

I am looking for any tutorials/resources - online or print - that will help me understand how flash and director can talk to each other... (i am currently working in flash 5 and director 8)

any help appreciated. thanks in advance...

nic

The Minister of No Crap

First --

Director 8 can use Flash 4 cast members, but not Flash 5 cast members. When you export your f5 .swfs, be sure to export them in 4 format. Also keep in mind all the things that don't translate from the 5-to-4 conversion.

Note: Director 8.5 is a different story: http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia...x_dir_sw.fhtml

Anyway. The interactions I use most often with Flash and Director are as follows:

IN DIRECTOR (lingo):

Setting/changing a variable in your flash cast member:
    Code:
    setVariable(sprite 50,"clue","Injera")
    sprite 50 is the sprite your flash member is on
    "clue" is the name of the variable in the flash movie
    "Injera" is the value of the variable (which you're setting now)
    NOTE: I've found that most of the time, you need to declare the variables at the beginning of your flash movie, even if you're just setting them to empty (""). Otherwise, you'll likely get an error in Director when you try to set it the first time.

Setting/changing a variable in your flash cast using lingo variables:
    (This is just a twist on the above)
    Code:
    setVariable(sprite 50,"n",string(gMapQN))
    gMapQN is a global variable that you set in Director.

Sending your flash member to another frame:
    Code:
    sprite(50).goToFrame("gameOver")
    Notes:
    1. For some reason, Flash doens't always obey its stop frames when Director sends it somewhere. I usually deal with this by setting a label, say "gameOver", and then five frames later setting its stop frame. I'm sure there's a better way, but I haven't found it yet.
    2. This is where Flash's "call" action comes in really handy, I've found (can control lots of events with one line of Lingo).

IN FLASH (ActionScript):
    You can call lingo handlers from Flash with the GetURL, like so:
    Code:
    Get URL ("lingo: uploadUserScore")
    This is probably one of the more helpful things between the two, as you can then create constant communication going back and forth.

Some general notes about using Flash in Director, from my observations:

1) If you set your Flash members to "Background Transparent," be sure to run a test of your CPU usage. I've seen decent CPUs hit 100% and stay there when running a shocked movie with a transparent Flash.
    2) Layering one Flash member on top of another tends to cause "flickering" in a shocked movie.
    And of course, in case you haven't come across this:
    3) If you're shocking your movie to test locally, put your .dcr, .cct files, etc. in a folder called "dswmedia". Otherwise, your flash/director interaction won't work (locally).

And...I think I've babbled enough for now! I hope that helps a little bit.