A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TIP: PC files converted to Mac

Here's a tip for converting PC zip files to open properly on your Mac. That means when you open a zipped file, no more Quicktime icons for the swf's and no more text icons for the .fla's. I can't stand that.
    • Go to the Apple Icon (top left) > Control Panel > File Exchange.
    • A dialog box should open up. From left to right you should see columns named PC extension, Application, File type, respectively. Click on PC extension column and scroll down till you see the extension fla. Select it then, hit Change.....
    • A new dialog box should then open up. Select for file type SPA, then select Change to change the file type.
    • Wait... we're not done yet. Now we have to find the extension swf. When you find it, select Change... then select for the file type SWFL.
    That's it you're done. I did this for my mac and now when I open any zipped file containing flash files my file manager recognizes the extensions.

There might be a possibility that you won't find fla and swf extensions. That's fine. You can always add them. I'll briefly explain how this is done.
    • Select the Add button in the File Exchange dialog box. Then a dialog box should open, at the top type in the extensions that are missing. Either fla or swf, whatever. Then scroll down and find the application that corresponds to the extension, then Select. That's it, you're done.

I thought I'd post this in the hopes that someone might find it useful.

Enjoy!

Very helpful.
    Thanx!

excellent!
    thanks, 8minus8, I'm going to add this to myFK, soon I'm going to use it

Very nice! no more opening flashtyper to change them (even tho it work fine it was an extra annoying PC/MAC exchange thing)
    thanks 8minus8!
    G.

your welcome. i'm glad i could help.

let me know if it works as it should and if you get stuck trying to implement it. i tried expalaining as well as i could.

thanks again!

works great for me
    G.

thanks

8minus8,
    great tip, I'll try it!!!
    All this has been driving me up the wall for ages...
    Tips like this are way too rare!!
    Thanks again, happy flashin', Prisca

resolved SSK?

Hi there 8minus8,
    just wanted to try your settings, works perfectly for the .fla file - excelllent!!!
    The swf file type ( in the File Exchange>PC Exchange box) does not come up with the SWFL option though...?!??? /
    It had the swf in there first off, after trying to change file type (not having the option - i couldn't) the file type was described as "???", I removed it and then added it freshly as you described, first it'll come up as SSK, trying to change it - still no luck...

Have you got any more ideas on that?
    I'd love it to work properly as I've started exchanging quite a few Flash files with other flashers...

Happy flashin', Prisca

hey prisca.
    well if it's not there all you have to do is add a new one. does swfl come up for you at all? it should be one of the default choices. make sure you have the flash player as the choice of application as well as that the new one is installed on your computer.

keep me posted.

resolved doh... how stupid am I...???

8minus8,
    thanks for getting back to me on that - I went back into the File Exchange to double-check... well, slightly embarassing, you wouldn't believe my stupidity - I had selected the wrong application, Flash instead of FlashPlayer. Well, what can I say... sorry!!!
    It's working perfectly now. and it made my day!

Thanks Prisca

awesome! glad i could help.

THANK YOU!

Great Tip - you wouldn't believe the number of files I have converted over the last two years.

cool. let me know if there is anything that isn't clear enough. i think i'm going to set up a simple tutorial for this. really makes me smile to know it's helped you guys.

Just did about 20 downloads from "movies" - I smiled 40 times - swfs and flas.(downloaded stuff just to try it out) It's like an upgrade to FlashKit.
    Neither of the extensions/descriptions were in the File Exchange panel but I could figure it out from your instructions. A visual/screenshot or something may help in a tutorial.

Is it possible to save the settings for this pannel or just distribute a pref file that could be dropped in the system. If so, no instructions required - just a thought.

Thanks again - Rob

thanks. good idea on the screenshot. i'll find out. maybe applescript or something like that. not sure. i'll look into it. yeah it brightened my day as well.

thanks for the tip!

i am still having problems when i download the fla. file. it says that the file was created on a pc and that i am missing parts.

nothing i do to the file exchange makes any difference.

very frustrating.....

Originally posted by vr2l_me
    thanks for the tip!

i am still having problems when i download the fla. file. it says that the file was created on a pc and that i am missing parts.

nothing i do to the file exchange makes any difference.

very frustrating.....
    Hi vr2l_me,
    do you have Flash4 or Flash5?
    I had the same problem, but since I have Flash5 I never encountered it again.
    I think it happens when trying to open Flash5 flas with Flash4.

you are exactly right.
    i am running flash 4

i have to get flash 5!!!

PC to Mac conversion. What am I doing wrong?

I have followed 8minus8's advice but my .swf and .fla files still download as quicktime files. Very annoying. I have restartd and zapped my PRAM but still no luck. I even turned off my quicktime extensions but then the files download as unrecognized (blank icon).

I have uploaded two screen captures to show my file exchange settings for .swf and.fla?

http://www.lhup.edu/~jbronner/5.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks, J

okay i checked out the screenshots and compared them to mine. first, do you have to change the file manager extensions every time on start up?

try selecting the option mount at start-up. i noticed in your screenshot you didn't have it selected. i'm not exactly sure if this is causing your problem, but mine are selected that's why i mention it.

hope this helps.