A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: autorun from pc

Corporate Nose-Picker
    Ok, I hope I'm not exiled from the flashkit community forever by asking a powerpoint question, but I will post this as we all have crossed paths with powerpoint sometime in our lives and the autorun issue always pops up even with flash folk.

Ok, I just checked out a tutorial on how to make an autorun file that will automatically open a flash .exe file upon reading it from the CD. Well, powerpoint's equivalent to the flash .exe or .swf file is the .pps file, so I saved my presentation as such and included the .inf file that reads like this:
    [autorun]
    open=presentation04-12.pps

Well, it didn't work, and upon trying to manually get the damn thing to work I got an "Invalid Win 32" message. What was that?

Ok, any ideas?

Thanx

The equivilant of a standalone Powerpoint presentation is not PPS. You need to create a power point presenation with the player attached.

This will create an install file. Then PPT should play on the computer you have selected.

In PP this feature is called pack and go and is often times found in the file menu...

Corporate Nose-Picker
    Thanx for the quick reply.
    I've done that, and now I'm left with 2 files created: a .ppz file, and something called pngsetup.exe
    Upon clicking the ppz it asked for a program to open it with, and the exe gave me a pack and go extraction window. How will these two files work on a CD, if they don't seem to work off my desktop? and do i include the *.inf file previously mentioned?

Now I'm really scratching my head....

You have to install the player first. I'm not impressed with the portability of powerpoint. After installing it will unpack a ppt that can be viewed with the viewer. Its not self contained like a projector file... pretty much I don't recommend using ppt unless you consitantly use it on the same computer.

In addition, you can follow this thread for a simple file executer...

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=130497

It was developed by Northcode, offered for free, and launches files in their associated programs via autorun.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jabez

Corporate Nose-Picker
    sorry to be naggin you bout this, but what if I know for a fact that the user has powerpoint? In other words, how to bypass all this pack projector process. Just pop in the CD, and wham, the movie opens! Seems so easy when using flash .exe files, but is this not possible in powerpoint? (by the way, for now i have no choice but to use it!!!)

thanx again

Read my post above... looks like we posted at the same time, and you might have missed it.

Corporate Nose-Picker
    You're right, we did get in at the same time. Anyways, I downloaded your little formula for running files with the runfile.exe. Gimme 1/2 while I waste some CDs (I couldn't figure out the PC mumbo-jumbo on the microsoft site for testing without CDs), and I'll get back with you.

Thanx again!

Corporate Nose-Picker
    Thank You!!!!!!! Finally worked! (*champaigne sound*)
    Now I gotta go thru some bugs, like this annoying "Enable Macros" window you get before opening, and some other registration window, but half the battle is won!

Thanx a million, a cold one on me!

Hey, you're welcome! I've noticed you have been offering help to others on the board as well, so this place is really serving its purpose!

Hope you enjoy your stay here in the forums!

Regards,

Jabez

macros, smacros...

Originally posted by aeroflash
    Thank You!!!!!!! Finally worked! (*champaigne sound*)
    Now I gotta go thru some bugs, like this annoying "Enable Macros" window you get before opening
    sorry to beat a dead horse but did you ever figure out how to get rid of the "Enable Macros" window? I want to autorun a Flash movie from CD which will allow the viewer to select either a Flash version or PPT version, and it works fine (using a .bat file) but I can't get rid of that "Enable Macros" window...any help?!?

Corporate Nose-Picker
    No dead horses here, bro!

Yes, I did eliminate the problem...and it wasn't rocket sciece either. Just a LOOOT of labor. I took each slide, one by one and copied and pasted the content into a new presentation. Then I'd run it every 10 slides to check which was the offending slide...until I got all 110 slides onto a new presentation. And bam! No more funky messages at the beginning!

Then it hit me...on the problem presentation I had messed around with the visual basic commands, and that probably did it. Unless you thoroughly understand VB, DO NOT mess with it!

And I am happy to inform you that I have put the powerpoint aside and I'm working on a CD-ROM presentation in ...Flash! As a matter of fact, I'd like to know your opinions on using flash for live presentations. I don't think flash could hold up as well in that arena...

Alright, took too much of your time. good luck

Originally posted by aeroflash
    Then it hit me...on the problem presentation I had messed around with the visual basic commands, and that probably did it. Unless you thoroughly understand VB, DO NOT mess with it!
    ok, there in lies the problem. I know little about VB but I'm using it to embed Flash, so I know that is why I am getting the pop up...using VB seems to be the easiest way to embed Flash. Am I wrong?

And I am happy to inform you that I have put the powerpoint aside and I'm working on a CD-ROM presentation in ...Flash! As a matter of fact, I'd like to know your opinions on using flash for live presentations. I don't think flash could hold up as well in that arena...

Alright, took too much of your time. good luck
    First, linear time doesn't really exist, so you haven't wasted nothin'...

Second, I'm finding that companies are VERY reluctant to make the move to Flash and most want to use Flash inside PPT (stupid if you ask me). I think Flash is an excellent presentation tool. If you're designing in a slide by slide type of set-up then you can just create a new scene for each slide...otherwise, I use a movie clip with a button inside it (and a start drag) to react to the mouse clicks.

Ok, now I'm rambling. Thanks for your help...keep up the good fight.

Full Flash CD presentation is the way to go in the future.
    People will have to accept change. We just gonna have to be the trail blazers!