A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ****** SWiSH V2 Beta 2 available ******

SWiSHoldie
    THX I have found this, but why do you hide this ?
    The old thing on the right upper corner was better.

Originally posted by flashopper
    Originally posted by roger_onslow
    Originally posted by spam.lover
    Please, please, PLEASE!!! Can we have an option to keep the outline weight the same size no matter what the scale of the object? Adjusting nodes gets ugly with very complex objects.

shanks-a-mil
    I don't think its possible.

The select tool transforms the whole object. That means everything should grow or shrink uniformly. It is simply a graphical way of setting the scale factors. If the border didn't increase with the inside, then it wouldn't really be a uniform scaling.
    I think something that points to a way to do this would be a "set new 100% size" on the dimensions of a shape, and then maybe a sub option for "include lines" or something like that, which if it wasn't chosen, would redraw the shape's line at the original width specified.

I think a "set new 100% size" would be very useful during layout and development. Often I'll draw a shape, say a rectangle, and then a few minutes later when my design is further along, I'll resize it. However, maybe my final size sets my original percentages to 138% height and 97.39% width. Rather than start any transform work with a shape that has those dimensions, it would be nice (but not essential) to be able to set my new shape dimensions as the 100% size, then work from there. Even more importantly, however, at that point, it would be great to be able to reset my line widths back to the original width specified to retain the design consistency, which could conceivably be possible if the new dimensions are perceived as the 100% dimensions by the program. Then again, I realize that I know nothing about how this program is constructed, so I could be totally out of the ballpark in my thinking.

If spam.lover is talking about having an object's lines stay the same width through the course of a scaling change in, say, a move effect, I could see how that would be even more of a challenge at this point.

While the "set new 100% size" would be helpful, I realize that since now we can work things visually, we don't need to worry so much about actual numbers (man the new scaling controls are awesome, I just tried them in the move effect, they work so sweeet), but I could see where occasionally having such a 100% redim feature could be helpful. More of a "nice to have" for me personally, but might come in handy nonetheless from time to time.

Will
    In the next beta, you will be able to achieve "set new 100% size" using "Group as Shape".

Originally posted by Rykor
    Hey I like the new merge shapes it's cool becuase you can even merge pictures and stuff but since you can do that i would recommend putting an option to insert hotspots like a button so you can merge a shape and then make a particular region of it into a clickable spot to add actions and stuff to.
    Buttons already do all that. No need for anything else.

Convert the merged picture into a button and adjust the hit state to setup the active area.

If you want multiple hit areas, then make some invisible buttons (ones that only have a hit area) and place then at the appropriate hotspot areas.
    Yes I could do that but look from the designers view.Buttons will way down the swf size while a hit state will merely be an invisible element, making things run smoother and it will open more thoughts on how they can create something.there really isn't any negatives to putting it in there its just taking the time to put it in.Even tho though the element already exists in the buttons it should be an option to make it raw as well.
    [Edited by Rykor on 04-25-2001 at 11:55 AM]

BUG

I went to file and down to new window and a swish pop up said out of memory.Then I tried it again and it gave me an illegal operations and made me close swish.Then I reproduced it three or four times to make sure it was no fluke and it gave me the the blue screen of death which followed with the white screen of dead...It crashed explorer big time and forced me to reboot improperly..I dont know if you've already fixed this but i'm letting it be known now.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by Wildthinks
    THX I have found this, but why do you hide this ?
    The old thing on the right upper corner was better.
    We're not hiding it. This is the standard place to look for such status indications. Anyone using SWiSH for the first time would probably look down at the status bar to find such a thing.

There is no right-hand-corner position anymore, as everything can dock and move about.

We are looking at generating an export report in a dialog giving an indication of file size (and possible a breakdown of how much space is used for graphics, sounds etc) .. but that would only show after you to an Export of Test In Player/Browser.

There is a bug (still trying to reliably reproduce it) where the extra pane (like the size) disappear sometimes.

Hung wrote:

<<In the next beta, you will be able to achieve "set new 100% size" using "Group as Shape".>>

Most excellent, I'm sure we will all be glad for that feature at some point in time. Thanks Swish Team!

Best, Will

When is the next Beta coming out ?

TRJNET -SNYPA- -=JJB90=- -=-_-=-

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Hey I like the new merge shapes it's cool becuase you can even merge pictures and stuff but since you can do that i would recommend putting an option to insert hotspots like a button so you can merge a shape and then make a particular region of it into a clickable spot to add actions and stuff to.
    Buttons already do all that. No need for anything else.

Convert the merged picture into a button and adjust the hit state to setup the active area.

If you want multiple hit areas, then make some invisible buttons (ones that only have a hit area) and place then at the appropriate hotspot areas.
    Yes I could do that but look from the designers view.
    I am .. there is no need for extra comlpexity when the existing Button features will do it
    Buttons will way down the swf size while a hit state will merely be an invisible element
    Perhaps you didn't know that objects (text etc) with mouse events are turned into buttons in the SWF when SWiSH exports .. the only way an object in SWF can respond to a mouse event is by being a button .. so effectively you've already got buttons in your SWF file. There is no extra weight/file size increase at all by using real SWiSH buttons
    making things run smoother and it will open more thoughts on how they can create something.there really isn't any negatives to putting it in there its just taking the time to put it in.
    The negatices are that it makes the UI unnecessarily complicated. You can do it with buttons, or by adding transparent shapes with mouse events (which end up being buttons in a SWF anyway).
    Even tho though the element already exists in the buttons it should be an option to make it raw as well.
    I'm usually an agreeable chap , but I see no benefit at all to what you're suggesting, and only more complexity for the user and (the clincher) more work for us.

SWiSHoldie
    So many things I have learned on the Alpha and betathreads. THX for all People.

I suggest that when you merge shapes together you should be able to alter with the reshape button the whole image. For example, one square inside another, merge them, and then reshape one side so that both squares move together with the reshape button. Is that possible?

I'm usually an agreeable chap , but I see no benefit at all to what you're suggesting, and only more complexity for the user and (the clincher) more work for us.
    Agreed..Hey it was just a suggestion not a demand.I see your point as well.And I dont want to be the one to prolong the swish release myself.However did you see my post on the new window bug.

Originally posted by harveybass
    I suggest that when you merge shapes together you should be able to alter with the reshape button the whole image. For example, one square inside another, merge them, and then reshape one side so that both squares move together with the reshape button. Is that possible?

Is that a reasonable suggestion? I don't want to extend any waiting period obviously!

I am finding that whenever I have V2 open and then try to open another file via windows explorer ir comes up with a message saying not enough memory to run.

I have a celeron 466, 128 MB, Windows SE.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    I suggest that when you merge shapes together you should be able to alter with the reshape button the whole image.
    You already can.

The reshape tool is designed to move and edit individual edges and verticies independently.

If you have two shapes merged together you can edit any edge or vertex of the merged shape.

Eg. with two quares, one inside the other and merged together, you can move any edge by grabbing it and dragging it and the other edges are unaffected (except, of course, the attaced edged at each end get dragged to be longer or shorter).

This is the way the tool works and needs to work. It would lose its usefullness if drafging one line also affected other lines.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    I am finding that whenever I have V2 open and then try to open another file via windows explorer ir comes up with a message saying not enough memory to run.

I have a celeron 466, 128 MB, Windows SE.
    I have a Pentium II 233, 64MB, Windows SE 4.10.2222A (for testing) and have no problems at all running SWiSH, even multiple copies. At least not yet. I'm trying to stress it out so that I can reproduce these crashes people are reporting. No joy .. it all just works.

Do you have specific SWI's that you are working on that cause this problem .. or do you have to do something specific before it wil crash (eg. import a big SWF or have lots of images or ...???)

If we cannot reproduce the problem, then we cannot fix it.

Animation flicker/stutter

Good folks at Swish,

I'm unable to get any simple text or shape to animate w/o a great amount of flicker/stutter. I've tried many different settings to no avail. I have a new 1 gig P3 - 512 ram - Geforce 2 mx running in windows ME. Swish 1.51 & 2.0 alpha worked fine on my P 200 - 64 ram - 4 mb video card in Win 95. I tried the sample animations that come w/ the beta & they work fine - everything I create does not. I am unable to test the beta on my old machine at this time. I think you are developing a fine program and the forum support is solid, helpful & friendly. Good fortune in your continuing endeavors.

I would appreciate any & all suggestions that might resolve my problem. I'm fairly inexperienced in this digital world.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
    _ Czach

P.S. I wanted to post this on the beta thread - hope I did it right this time!
    [Edited by czach on 05-01-2001 at 10:40 AM]

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Animation flicker/stutter

Originally posted by czach
    I'm unable to get any simple text or shape to animate w/o a great ammount of flicker/stutter. I've tried many different settings to no avail. I have a new 1 gig P3 - 512 ram - Geforce 2 mx running in windows ME. Swish 1.51 & 2.0 alpha worked fine on my P 200 - 64 ram - 4 mb video card in Win 95. I tried the sample animations that come w/ the beta & they work fine - everything I create does not. I am unable to test the beta on my old machine at this time.
    Please send my an example SIW (and preferably any image files that go with it) so I can try to reprodcue and fix your problem.

roger_onslow@dingoblue.net.au

So when is Swish V2 Beta 2C coming out or when is the new patch coming out. Swish Beta 2b is too slow really. Have you started working on the quickness problem yet? And if the new patch is coming out soon, and when is the approximate date of arrival? Thanx and madd respects!

TRJNET -SNYPA- -=JJB90=- -=-_-=-

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    I've done some work on performace. SWiSH was paritcularly slow when there were lots of (or overly complex) vector shapes .. this is improved in the next Beta (when we let you have it).

I've done some work on performace. SWiSH was paritcularly slow when there were lots of (or overly complex) vector shapes .. this is improved in the next Beta (when we let you have it).
    That's great to hear, that will be a big help.

Any new features to speak of, or is the primary focus on this beta release mainly the performance enhancement?

Will