A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ****** SWiSH V2 Beta 2 available ******

Yeah, we want a better beta! Not that it's bad at all really, not on my PC anyway. Export Beta even better! No pressure, I now I have asked a few times so I won't ask again! But it's really hard to hold back!

Runtime Error . . .

I am getting the same error when I try to run Swish also, but I have Borland C++ installed. Have you figured out what the deal is yet?

Actionscripting

maybe i'm just asleep or something...
    is there any way to enter custom actionscripting in the Swish 2.0?
    Like what's on http://www.virtual-fx.net/tutorials/html/gravity.htm?

Re: Actionscripting

Originally posted by crl620
    maybe i'm just asleep or something...
    is there any way to enter custom actionscripting in the Swish 2.0?
    Like what's on http://www.virtual-fx.net/tutorials/html/gravity.htm?
    Currently, there is no input interface for custom actionscripting, but the programmers have expressed interest in various messages here about adding one at some point. Probably not for 2.0 however, from the way it sounds.

Visual Runtime Error

I get the same error - Neither Visual C++, nor VB 6.0 are installed on my PC. Will uninstall.

Ibrahim.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    We are still unable to reproduce this error.

It is possible that the changes in the next Beta (looks like it _might_ be the final beta) may fix it.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by flashopper

Any new features to speak of, or is the primary focus on this beta release mainly the performance enhancement?
    There is a volume control on play sound (and the fades etc now work properly regardless fo sample rate).

There is an option to display a shape as no-line+solid-fill+overlaps-solid primarily for use when used as a mask. We have found other cases (eg. some fonts when converted to text leave holes where the strokes overlap) where it is useful anyway

The content panel is now gone. The only remnant is the list of sounds in the Play Sound action.

More control over where shapes/fonts/images/sounds are defined in the SWF file (including making the Preload Content action do something useful again).

Performance is improved, and a few more bugs eliminated. Although we never were able to reproduce that Visual C runtime crash at startup (seems to happen on some Win98SE2 pcs - but not mine)

I'm sure there's other things we've snuck in there .. just can't think of them off hand .. probably nothing major.

The latest (and possible last) beta should be availble for download in the next couple of days.

I'm just wondering if I should include the command that turns the first scene into a preloader (by adding appropriate if frame loaded / goto / preload content actions) .. don't know if it would be worth it. Thoughts?

I think that would be great!

That would be pretty useful, and plus to have a feature where you get options on what preloader you want, that would be pretty cool too I think. And also I guess we heard it from you first, Beta is coming in a few days. Nice ! I can't wait, you guys are the best. And Swish is da bomb. Thanks a lot and madd respects. Oh yeah, by the way nice work!

TRJNET -SNYPA- -=JJB90=- -=-_-=-

Slowdown ?

I assume that others are having slowdown problems (what I noted as "flicker/stutter") by a few previous posts. Are you having this problem w/ even the simplest text/shape animations as I am or does it only happen w/ complex animations. Any solutions?

TIA _ Czach

Hey Hung and Roger,
    I was thinking that it would be a good idea to put the zoom in and out percentages in there because I found it to be fairly easy to lose what the actual size is your veiwing your movie at.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by TRJNET
    That would be pretty useful, and plus to have a feature where you get options on what preloader you want, that would be pretty cool too I think. And also I guess we heard it from you first, Beta is coming in a few days. Nice ! I can't wait, you guys are the best. And Swish is da bomb. Thanks a lot and madd respects. Oh yeah, by the way nice work!

What the tool would do is add the appropriate actions to the first scene to turn it into a preloader. That just means adding an If Frame Loaded (that checks for the last frame of movie) at the start and a Goto Frame 0 at the end of the scene. Simple stuff, but would save the user from working out how to do it first (instead they can convert the scene into a preloader and see the results and learn how to do it).

The only option I can think of is one to say what scene you want to wait for (instead of always the end of the last scene). One might want ot have cascaded preloaders, where there is a little preloader in scene 1 that waits until scene 2 is loaded, scene 2 plays, then scene 3 is another preloader that waits for scene 4 etc.

But I think one can get away with a simple "Convert First Scene to Preloader" command that just does the job.

BTW: If one is waiting for the whole movie to load, that means one doesn't need the Preload Content action at all .. The preloader is doing the equivalent job .. making sure things are loaded before playing. Does that mean the Preload Content is just not needed?

Can anyone think of a reason for wanting to use the Preload Content action (considering there are now options in V2 so you can say for each object whether you want its content to be loaded when used, at start of scene, or at start of movie).

If not, maybe we should get rid of it .. it seems to confuse many people (you really need to understand the difference between loading and playing and have some idea of how SWF files are structured to understand it).

Roger wrote: <<Can anyone think of a reason for wanting to use the Preload Content action (considering there are now options in V2 so you can say for each object whether you want its content to be loaded when used, at start of scene, or at start of movie).>>

Yeah, I think there may still be a reason for it. What if you had a stop frame that was waiting for user input or a long pause where not much happened, and you wanted to use that opportunity to start loading content for the next scene or for some spot down the timeline? Having the preload content might be useful for a large graphic or sound file.

Then again, maybe not, maybe I'm not clear on the features of the other options now in place.

By the way, thanks for the features update a few posts up. Any more actions to mention? And also by the way (since it actually hasn't been discussed in a while), how go the security/ecommerce issues?

Thanks, Will

I say yes and no.Your right if you are loading the whole movie there is no no need for preload content. However if it is an unusually large movie most people are going to have it load only peices of the movie at a time and they may want to preload things like a large sound loop and graphic.

Hey Roger, I have another idea for swish! I was wondering if you can make an export option to generate a size breakdown via text file like flash does.that would be cool and helpful when someone is compltetly stumped on why the swf file size is so large.Let me hear your thoughts on it.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by Rykor
    Hey Roger, I have another idea for swish! I was wondering if you can make an export option to generate a size breakdown via text file like flash does.that would be cool and helpful when someone is compltetly stumped on why the swf file size is so large.Let me hear your thoughts on it.
    Already thought of .. the report is generated at the moment .. just need to tidy it up and show it (it isn't being shown at the moment).

I wouldn't call myself impatient yet, but the suspense sure is rackin' my brain!

Any word on the next beta timing -- and more importantly -- as to whether or not there will possibly be an exportable -- or if there's been any breakthroughs on the security/ecommerce, and a final release has possibly become even a little bit more of a reality?

Thanks for any update you can provide -- not holding my breath, but still very eager to hear anything -- if there's anything to report, I'd love to hear it (though I'm probably not the only one ).

Best, Will

Yeah, you guys should take your time on problem-solving for the next Beta. They have to make I guess a lot of fixes for the next version, so take your time! Make the next Beta good. Thanx and madd respects...

SWiSHoldie

Bug

Convert Text to group (8 entry)
    convert to sprite

- Bug: Can not see in the Timeline
    Scene or Sprite or other , the area left from Frames is blank

another bug

make a masked sprite with photos fading in and out, place an action of on rollover, tell target, stop. It does not work. Am I doing it correctly?