A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: there is... no hope... for flash on the Mac

in regards to t3h's random crashes, adobe has not released a native mac intel version yet. You are using rosetta which basically does a live translation of code. It does not work perfectly (far from it) rosetta is slow and unreliable. Just wait until they come out with an intel native version to start judging the new intel macs with flash. Also, I don't get why this post is being refreshed considering a lot of stuff has happened in FIVE YEARS!!! I'm not saying that there aren't any issues (I've had a few minor ones) it's not like it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by solrac149

1) The player / plugin
    It is still slow as ****, even slower than OS 9. Flash movies play back just so slow it's sad. This is using the plugins in classic mode, of course. Using quicktime improves speed but is not a viable option because actionscript does not work and sub-movieclips do not play. The internet sucks on Mac OS X, because there's no flash. There is no native OS X internet browser that works. IE 5.1 is a buggy pile of crap, delete it now. Omniweb doesn't display frameset sites correctly sometimes. Javascript is limited. You can't do online banking or log into a site such as junum.com. iCab has no plugins and even worse javascript. There is no OS X browser available, only explorer or netscape running in classic mode. Explorer 5 in classic is almost perfection, but no flash/javascript compatability. Netscape works too but who likes netscape? At least when you log in to balthaser:fx in OSX running OS 9 in classic mode, it works! (weird...)

2) The development platform (Flash 5)
    Launching Flash 5 under classic mode in OS X is not an option. My beautiful G4 Cube with my beautfiul Cinema Studio Display with 584 MB of RAM is crap. I get more work done using a 3 year old toshiba satellite PC laptop 200 mhz with 800x600 max resolution, dark 10 inch screen. It plays back flash much faster than the G4 and Flash never crashes. Trying to use Flash 5 on OS X means you will crash every 5 - 10 minutes and usually needs a restart of Classic mode, which takes several minutes.

And to seal mac's fate, PC supports tons of 3rd party flash tools! Burak's actionscript viewer, swiffer-text, flash importer, and tons of other little tools. The only good tool that made it to mac is Swift 3D, and barely.

Therefore, there is no hope for mac, and flash.
    Or is there? There is possibly a dim, very dim fading black star of hope....

1) Omniweb has its own flash plugin. It's not any "version", it's a proprietary omniweb plugin, only 80k. It cannot play back complex flash or heavy actionscript, and cannot load movies into different levels or targets. However, when it DOES play flash (simple movies), no matter how heavy the graphics, it keeps UP with PC speeds. This thing plays flash as good as any PC. Amazing!!! Too bad it's not a real flash plugin, and Omni Group has no documentation on plugins especially not for flash... who knows what will happen with this......

2) Macromedia may release Flash 5 native for OS X? Will this happen?

What if Flash 5 for OS X is released, and doesn't crash, and Omniweb makes a full version of their flash plugin. Well then the mac will have just catapulted from being absolute ****, and unusable with flash, to just as good as ANY PC, minus the lack of 3rd party tools, which is a minor thing really, especially now that swift 3d is going to make a plugin 2.0 version of their software for Lightwave!!!

I honestly don't see macromedia releasing a solid Flash 5 product for OS X, and I REALLY don't see the flash omniweb plugin going any further.

I really hope these two predictions of mine are proved wrong, because they are the ONLY 2 things that can save flash on the mac.

-solrac-
    [/QUOTE]

1) Get FlashPlayer 9 and firefox/ie(can't believe i'm saying this)
    2) It works fine, don't lie.
    1) Again, use web browser like firefox (it's free!)
    2) Flash 5 is old, and like I said, it works fine.

u do realize your responding to a post from 5 years ago right?
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

t3h_w00t broght it back. Then everybody started replying to it. I guess this is how old threads gets restored.

Er, if you guys want to resurrect a flame war from 5 years ago, go right ahead.

p.s. anyone heard why Macromind isn't porting Director 3 to intel Macs?
    Sam

Oh yes, I learned that from Windows ME.

Ctrl+S when you pause
    Ctrl+S before you switch app
    Ctrl+S before you leave the chair
    Ctrl+S when you gonna have your eyes off the screen
    Ctrl+S Randomly.

Windows XP has been really solid to me, and OSX has also been very solid. Though, I never forget those rules.... or my "habbit" :P

The next OSX will have a program called "Time Machine", I wonder if it only backs up files that are "missing", or also files that are "edited".