A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: when starting out in web design.

a couple of rules to follow...

1. be consistent. make sure you use one font face throughout the site. make sure your navigation system is the same on every page, and keep the general layout of your pages the same.

2. contrast colours. make sure the colour of your text and your background are pretty much opposite colours. with colour schemes, use a couple of shades of one colour and either black or white, or use opposites. experiment. i have found colours are mostly a matter of opinion.

3. use tables to layout pages. draw some imaginary lines though the page to base the layout on.

4. keep pages clean.(dont plonk anything anywhere, line things up with the imaginary lines).

Originally posted by oz
    a couple of rules to follow...

1. be consistent. make sure you use one font face throughout the site. make sure your navigation system is the same on every page, and keep the general layout of your pages the same.

2. contrast colours. make sure the colour of your text and your background are pretty much opposite colours. with colour schemes, use a couple of shades of one colour and either black or white, or use opposites. experiment. i have found colours are mostly a matter of opinion.

3. use tables to layout pages. draw some imaginary lines though the page to base the layout on.

4. keep pages clean.(dont plonk anything anywhere, line things up with the imaginary lines).
    1 - why? sure websafe font families are very limited but is there a problem for example with mixing arial/verdana bold for body/headers ??
    2 - why? - does this mean purple copy on yellow background is ok?
    3 - agreed tables are not an option, they are essential to controlling layout and positioning
    4 - true, once you have learned all the basic rules of design layout and typo stick to them and you shouldnt go too far wrong, and with experience developes a sense of how you can break these rules to create more striking effects

Consistancy

Consistancy had to do with the human eye and how the brain processes the information.

Your users are going to retain more of what they read when the text is consistant and fluid, also where there is a good amount of 'whitespace' around the text.

Most users don't read....rather they scan while scrolling down.

Color choice is important.....monitios are backlit...so bright colors can actually hurt. (That feeling like going outside in bright sun after a major snowstorm)

*Edit*
    Remember...it's not *you* that will be using your website...you've got to keep the end users in mind.

As far as using 1 font goes-the standard is 2-3. Personally I choose 2, I used to be big on the Arial set, using Arial Black and Arial narrow-using the Arial Black for buttons/titles, and using arial or arial narrow (but kerned a bit to make it spaced out more) for text.

Now I've sort of shifted to Century Gothic instead of Arial, and something similiar to Times for blocks of text.
    In fact, I'm looking for something even more narrow than Cent Gothic.

But usually I say that if you have a font that is part of a logo, don't count that in the 2-3. When it's in a logo, it's artwork, not so much existing as text anymore. It's kind of it's own thing, I guess.

2 fonts overall is a good number to shoot for, and best when they're in the same font family.

mg33

How about Franklin Gothic, or DIN Mittelschrift?
    Franklin Gothic is the font used in Episode 1 for subtitles. But I can't remember them subtitling that Rasta gob****e irritant Jar Jar Bollocks.
    Excuse me. Got a little carried away...

maybe we could start posting more of "what to do" and not "not what to do".

(just a suggestion, although it might be a bit blunt, sorry).

Originally posted by oz
    maybe we could start posting more of "what to do" and not "not what to do".

(just a suggestion, although it might be a bit blunt, sorry).
    sorry to be blunt , but it was your original posting of this thread which prompted me to start the "WEB DESIGN NONO's" thread in this forum

whoops sorry. i'm not targeting you steve, its just i see a bit of that.... actually my comment wasnt timed very well. sorry. i'll just shutup.

Originally posted by oz
    whoops sorry. i'm not targeting you steve, its just i see a bit of that.... actually my comment wasnt timed very well. sorry. i'll just shutup.
    no problem - say what you like when you please - thats what these forums are all about - ("within reason" I expect a moderator would add!)