A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Query Example in ASP.

Does anyone have a ASP script adapted to Flash for queries in a Access database? For example, I'd like to search Miami in the City textbox and retrieve the names of people who live in Miami from the mdb database only. The response.write method can be all records at once or five at a time doing scroll. I'm at the end of the rainbow and I need a bridge. Thanks.
    Ruben

Try http://www.asp101.com Good intro article

Already saw that article.

Thanks, anyway. It's so frustrating to see that there are people that have done a search engine already using sorting and filtering and are not willing to share their knowledge/experience. The guy from the article, in nice words, told me he's writing a book. Gee...have to wait another 6 months to reach the top of the learning curve. It's like being under the table waiting for crumbs and paying for being there.

The ironic part is that I'm doing it to learn and write a tutorial for the benefit of this community, and yet, I find this resistance from other experienced Flash programmers to release the information. Let's talk about elitist groups in Flash!
    [Edited by mayaflash on 08-06-2000 at 05:27 PM]

True...

I think that one of the fundemental problems we have here it that ASP as a language isn't really discussed properly in realtion to the world of flash. Hopefully when this guys book (don't worry it'll be poorly written and out of date before it launches) wil be plagurised and placed on the web.

A fundemental floor in this guys logic is that we will by books, I mean that's why I come to flash kit every day...

I'll be implenting a **** load of asp into flash shortly, but first I've go to get the concepts of flash figured in enough depth. Give me a few weeks and then we'll be able to talk and hopefully further enhance the asp/flash section of this site.

ASP Confusing???

Does this script actually work on an ASP page elsewhere in your site (or on a previous site). I ask this because it looked to me as if there were some out of place " etc.

I'll set up a new database a try it when I get home as a trial.

P.S. Although it dosen't really matter for personal use, I think that you'd be better to have some comment tags that tell you exactly what you are doing on each line. In the future commercial clients would want this also.

I completely agree with you guys! I am surprised at the small amount of Flash/ASP developers out there. Hopefully this section of FlashKit can grow over the next few months. I will definetely try to lend a hand wherever I can. Basek_oner!

Smile Flash & ASP...how bout JSP?

I'm in sync with all of you about the lack of ASP and Flash integration, however, what about JSP and FLash. I think I'm the only one in the world trying to integrate the two!

having one hellavu time doing too. will post regularly as I make progress. who knows, maybe I'll start a web site soley for the integration of FLash and ASP/JSP...

...not a bad idea.

email me if anyone is interested in this.

info@reyzorblade.com

Hello again, guys.

I'm glad I'm not the only person that feels a gap in Flash/ASP. Don't know about JSP but if you read Inc. magazine last month, blue chip companies surveyed many clients implementing database interaction. These companies have ASP as the backend method of choice and their plans are in millions of dollars. Obviously, you need to pay attention where the Flash market is going with a quarter million of users and better understand the integration with ASP. So, join us in the Flash/ASP Club and let us know your progress. As I say, there are very few programmers implementing these two applications and, obviously, they don't want competition or explain how to integrate it. It's up to you to find the answers and post your findings. Ruben

(BTW, we have moderators in this forum, Aquaman, FlashGuru, John, Swift, sinclair, Matt Wobensmith. Where are all these guys? I believe they were selected based on their experience with the subject of this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    [Edited by mayaflash on 08-07-2000 at 11:34 PM]

...not a bad idea.

Its actually a pretty good idea! With all the competition going on between companies and individuals out there today. The only way you are going to survive(considering you haven't been doing it forever) is to band together and share your resources. I would definitely contribute some of my time to write/teach on the subject of ASP/Flash. With full-time school, full-time work, and being a full-time daddy, I think I could still find some time to help.

Besides, what I have seen so far with ASP/Flash doesn't seem to be too difficult. I think coding is not the challenging part, but being able to innovate new methods using the powers and strengths of the two is the real challenge.

Base...

Everyone, I'm in complete agreeance. I've been posting questions all over only to find that there are 0 responses and all other questions have 5-10 easily. I'm not going to vent, I'll just help as I've been working to integrate the two for a little while now.

Mayaflash, I looked at the code you posted and I have a suggestions that worked for me.

Try using this to fill in your missing section

Response.Write "VariableNameHere=" & Server.URLEncode(oRS("DBASEFieldNameHere"))

I really can't continue with this until I know exactly what you want to return, Just let me (US) know what you really want to return and we can go from there

LET'S NOT BE PART OF THE PROBLEM
    LET'S BE PART OF THE SOLUTION

I agree.

I am ok with ASP... I have written a few programs... I have just started using Swish ... But i am not sure how to integrate the two.....

Do I need to use Flash?

Are there any basic tutorials on how to intergrate flash/swish with ASP?

I would be glad to help anyone who is stuck on the ASP end if I could get someone to help me figure out the flash end.

Rod

Finally...

Good to see some discussion starting about using ASP with Flash...I am just starting to use the two in conjunction and am looking for any help I can get, especially on the ASP end of things. There really is not much info anywhere on how to go about this.

A good Start

In response to learning ASP, I would suggest a few sites that have helped me learn it.

http://www.15seconds.com
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com
    http://www.aspwire.com
    http://www.asp101.com

You also need to make sure you have the right tools. WinX, or NT, and IIS or PWS. Also you'll need the back end, either Access or SQL Server is suggested since most tutorials are base on either of the two. If you have a specific question let us know.

thank god....i am glad to see...so many people sailing in the same boat with me...hahahaha
    all u ppl i too am in the same boat as u all r in..
    well i too got the start from asp101.com
    but still it sucks...
    they explained how to retrive values from the database but not how to insert or update...using asp and msaccess ofcourse.
    pls keep me updated..if u find anything ..

OK...more specifics in this one.
    I have a set of 4 text fields which let a user put in these variables: NameFirst, NameLast, Position, Local.
    I can submit these to an asp page and the passign of variables works fine, as I know they get there if I test it using Response.Write in the ASP. however, I am trying to do an Insert INTO SQL command for an Access db, and I keep getting the error: "Operation must use an updateable query", with the error pointing to my oConn.Execute line.
    The ASP code looks like the folllowing:
    <%
    Dim oConn
    Dim ins

Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.ConnectionString = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Extended Properties=""DBQ=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\flash\employee s.mdb;DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;"""

oConn.Open

ins = "INSERT INTO Employees (NameFirst,NameLast,Position,Local) VALUES ('" & UCase(Request.QueryString("NameFirst")) & "','" & UCase(Request.QueryString("NameLast")) & "','" & UCase(Request.QueryString("Position")) & "', " & Request.QueryString("Local") & ")"

Response.Write(ins)

oConn.Execute(ins)

oConn.Close
    Set oConn = Nothing

%>

If anyone can help with this please email me directly at patrickg@classinfo.com Help would be greatly appreciated.

first, to aManCalledSun-
    try putting a Conn.Update Command after you execute the SQL string.
    OR
    dim oConn
    dim oRs
    dim strSql
    Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.Open your_connection string

Set oRs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    strSql = "your sql statement"

oRs.Open strSql,oConn,1,3
    oRs.AddNew
    oRs("your_field") = Request("your_form_var")
    oRs.Update

and yes, we should all learn to share more but at the same time, the same people keep giving the answers and the same people keep asking the questions.

Tried using both the Conn.Update and the other variation of the ASP code, and I still can't get it to work. I had a question about the variation; I am not sure about the syntax for doing the oRS.AddNew, since in the line following the AddNew method, you used a form variable, where all my variables are returned via a querystring from Flash. Wondering how I should go about actually using the AddNew method with my four querystring variables, NameFirst, NameLast, Position, Local.
    Also, I am thinking the original problem is more in the area of the Insert SQL query rather than the ASP itself? as the ASP dies when it can't execute the query properly.
    If I can, I'd like to stay away from using Recordsets for performance reasons, and do the insert using only the Conn connection. I've read that this is possible but haven't seen any examples or tutorials on how to do it. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whew...finally solved it. After hunting through MS white pages for a while, discovered the Conn.Mode setting must be set = 3 to add new records. I think it's set to 0 by default, which allows updates only, not inserts. The article I found also suggested making sure that your IUSR_WEBSERVER guest account has change privileges on the folder where your access db is, since it has to open access and create a .idb file while doing the insert. This was already done on my machine, so my problem was with the Mode setting...thanks for the help though.

Thanks edeveloper for the help in this thread.

I just wrote a note to Flashkit indicating how useless are the so-called 5 moderators in this forum (I think we should send multiple letters to Flashkit). Hope they pay attention to what's going on in this forum without directions. I'm glad you're here to help. I'm in the process of developing a tutorial for a Flash/ASP search engine with the help of another advanced programmer but it's taking weeks because the guy is really busy. As soon as I get it to work I will post my findings also. However, feel free to offer your advise if you have a demo or a ASP script. Any crumb we can get from the big table it's good for us.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. Would be most interested in any other findings you have with respect to your upcoming demo. Thought I'd post the working ASP for my Insert query for anyone else here having problems with it:
    <%
    Dim oConn
    Dim ins

Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.ConnectionString = "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};Extended Properties=""DBQ=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\flash\employee s.mdb;DriverId=25;FIL=MS Access;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;"""
    oConn.Mode = 3
    oConn.Open

ins = "INSERT INTO Employees (NameFirst,NameLast,Position,Local) VALUES ('" & UCase(Request.QueryString("NameFirst")) & "','" & UCase(Request.QueryString("NameLast")) & "','" & UCase(Request.QueryString("Position")) & "', " & Request.QueryString("Local") & ")"

Response.Write(ins)

oConn.Execute (ins)

oConn.Close
    Set oConn = Nothing

%>

In this script I am calling the variables "NameFirst", "NameLast", "Position", and "Local" which are all input through editable textboxs in my Flash movie. I then have a submit button in the movie which plays the movie, going first to a blank frame with an action of LoadVariables(set the URL to the above ASP file and set variables to "Send using Get", and then a response frame which at this point allows you to do another submit or redirect to a search of the database. I am working on getting some validation done so that Flash will know when the Insert has completed and will give you a looping movie in the meantime. Hope this helps for a few people...if you have questions let me know.