A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To all newbies: forget flash, swish 2 is on the way

Just a brief message to say that all of you need to go to http://www.swishzone.com and download the trial version of swish 2. It is really amazing, you will love it. I have been reproducing flash sites on it very easily and effectively. Do what you do in flash but in 1/10 of the time.

but still what you can make in flash u can make that in SWISH CAN U???

With the release of Swish 2 in a couple of weeks, yes, I would say that you can do most of them. The new features include, sprites(movie clips) drawing capabilties, button conversion.......just keeps going. You will not be disapointed, believe me. The final version has not yet been released therefore the trial version does not allow exporting to .SWF. However, you can download the trial version, work on it, save all of your files for when it is realesed. And seriouly, for $50 you cannot get a better value software. I was a flash user until I saw what the new swish 2 can do. I am hooked.

Is it really that good as Im about to fork out about $1500 on some Flash classes (towards a multimedia certificate). Although Swish is great most of the time their effects are recognizable and somehow in my opinion you can just tell its not a Flash site. Does this change with 2?

Definitely. The variables within all of the effects are absolutely amazing. DO NOT SPEND $1500, or should I say waste! Please, believe me, I am also a Falsh user and as soon as swish 2 is released I will hardly use flash. If you wish email me about it, download the trial of swish 2 and I will send some files to you just to prove that I am telling the truth.

Obsolete Vernacular Number Three's Avatar

Issues

It sounds interesting. No Mac version though.

I wonder if you can customize those stunning text effects? I'd hate for mine to look like everyone else's.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.

Re: Issues

Originally posted by Number Three
    It sounds interesting. No Mac version though.

I wonder if you can customize those stunning text effects? I'd hate for mine to look like everyone else's.
    number three,
    download a demo copy and see. The text effects in Swish are totally variable. Just have a play, you'll be sold. Pop in to the Swish forum here at FK to see some of the things that are being done. Check out the welcome thread to see some of the stuff on resource sites.
    V1.52 is good, V2 will kick a**.
    david p.

Waiting on your email but another thought sprang to mind. Wont you get much better usage out of Swish by previously knowing Flash. That way wont you be able to really take Swish through the wringer. For instance theres alot of terminology ie sprites etc I am totally not familiar with. I guess like learning HTML then learning Dreamweaver you understand the principles its working on and then can manipulate stuff better within DW.

Im not trying to flog a dead horse but just wondered.

hmm..well i dont still agree with anyone! probably i am stupid and big idiotic buffon!!! hehehe
    but i am really gr8 Fan of Flash...and the day Flash dies i will die half the way!! cuz i earn my living through flash!!! (dont most of you?)
    but still will Swish 2 have the ActionScript? will we be able to make textfields? attache databases? or what? import SWIFT 3D in SWISH??? and all that stuff? add sounds loops? make the wav files converted to MP3 right through the software like FLash does? have those dazzling stereo afftects from the left to right speaker? tell me?
    will it have masking?

crazy aint i?

Obsolete Vernacular Number Three's Avatar

Re: Re: Issues

Originally posted by david petley
    number three,
    download a demo copy and see...
    I will, as soon as they put out a Mac version. That is, if they put out a Mac version.

1.) You won't get a job with just Swish on your resume.

2.) The features in Swish 2 are far behind the full capabilities of Flash. By the time they catch up to 5, 6 or 7 will be out with new features. Macromedia distributes the plug-in, therefore it's their responsibility and in their best interests to develop the tools to make it. Remember, SWF is an open format, but Macromedia still owns it.

If you want the most complete tool and ensure you'll get good support and compatibility, never rule out Flash. Don't get me wrong, Swish is a great program for doing smaller things, I use it all the time for text effects, but it's not the standard development tool for the format Macromedia owns.

Yes, you do have all of those capabilities. Sound loops, importing .SWF files from Swift 3d, or even flash.SWF files, effects from left to right yes, vector images, .EMF and more. The text effects are totally editable, you can add any effect to any object, Sprites are in flash terminology your movie clips( movie whithin movie(, tell target, FS command, you name it. No database though, but seriously, for the amount of sites that I have had to add a database, 1 in 10 maybe, SWISH does everything else, and for $50. And 1/4 of the time. I guess you might have to see it for yourself. http://www.swishzone.com

Here is one example of a text effect( this is only a text effect)

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=140539

Ok, I am sold. I couldnt imagine doing this in Flash. About to download V2 so I can check out your file. Thanks.

Ambassador of Style

Well...

FlashGial:

$1500 is a good hunk of cash - and only one class is even remotely close to being worth that much cash (The Ojai Digital Arts Center).

If you aren't going to Ojai for a Flash class - you are wasting your cash - but that doesn't mean that you should abandon Macromedia Flash either.

Keep in mind - an important factor to think about is the overall advanced capabilities of the program (AS, database communication via XML, etc). Also, Flash has a name for itself now. You don't see serious desingers putting LiveMotion on their CV/resume - or clients looking for a LiveMotion developer do you? Nope. Adobe's product was OK, but still couldn't hold a candle to Flash.

-A02

Ian424
    Ok.. i hate to tell u swish and probably everything that follows it can be remade in flash with a little scripting.

Flash will still have scripting, which in 5 and up will probably count for what makes most sites work well.. swish wont have advanced scripting..

does swish export/import the same formats flash can? I doubt it highly.

Swish may be good for you to think you are doing something good, but it will not replace flash. Flash is still the leader in flash content for obvious reasons. The price is worth it if you plan to use it professionally, if you are trying to learn, you can get it for a little more than Swish at colleges.

PAlexC,Ian424..............!! COOL! so i am mostly correct that SWISH 2 cannot replace Flash! so it means i am not an idiot buffon!!
    well...thats it...swish is good for small things....but not replacing Flash ....thats something diff...

Cheers,

Old dog learning new tricks

Originally posted by harveybass
    Just a brief message to say that all of you need to go to http://www.swishzone.com and download the trial version of swish 2. It is really amazing, you will love it. I have been reproducing flash sites on it very easily and effectively. Do what you do in flash but in 1/10 of the time.

U see, flash is way from a simple animation program anymore. It's turned to a fully multimedia program. And, as someone else said, it leads and others try to catch up.
    For the time being at least...

True, Swish 2 does not (yet) support full actionscripting, dynamic text boxes, connecting to databases. Flash 5 is still the standard there. However, Swish will eventually do all these things. The point here is that Swish does things in minutes or sometimes even seconds that literally take hours in flash. Plus, it's ease of use and learning curve is so incredibly small compared to flash.

I use both, but I'll be using Swish more than flash when v2 hits for most visual stuff. Flash will still be the tool of choice for the tasks mentioned above until Swish integrates those.

No mac version, true, but get with the times, even if you're a mac evangelist. Run Virtual PC or whatever it's called, or go get yourself a $1000 windows machine. It's worth it, not just for Swish!

Ian424
    swish is fast, ok. I get it.

But I have flash and i am happy with it. Swish will probably never catch up to flash, and if it does it will not have the benefits it did in the beginning. Advanced scripting and such takes some skills...

My argument is still a metaphor to PS and ms paint. Paint may be the easiest to use, but does it give the same results? no.