A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Photographs of New York

Scott,

was it overcast that day, and what kind of camera did you use?

I only ask because I too was in the city yesterday (Dallas, TX) using my Mavica and I'm starting to get a better feel for lighting conditions, etc. This camera functions as an SLR with F-Stops, shutter speeds, a spot meter, etc. so I can pretty much get a good look at what the photo will look like before I take it.

Do you use photoshop much? Reworking images in photoshop works well, it's amazing how much you can bring colors out in pictures. The first pic you have there is a bit oversaturated with blue, looks that way to me. I think it was cloudy that day?

Here's a pic I took yesterday, it was sunny, and like I said I've got all kinds of lighting settings and such.

http://www.mg33.net/fkimages/digicam/building1.html
    http://www.mg33.net/fkimages/digicam/building2.html

mg33

The Minister of No Crap

mg33,

Truthfully, I am no photographer. I just fool around every now and then.

These shots were taken with a digital camera. The blue and things like that happen when I would change the lighting from outdoor to indoor. There are a few other settings on the camera which I don't understand. My wife is teaching me. :-) She's actually gone to school for photography.

On you're shots, what did you do different between the two? The first one is great, but the second is really hard to look at.

So, you live near Dallas? I was born in Dallas. Ever been to Deep Ellum?

Keep on shooting.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

I've been messing with improving photo lately. My folks just cams back from Rome and have several bad shots of the leaning tower, I managed to improve the quality by quite a bit.

If you have Photoshop, and fast way to improve a shot with no trouble. Is make a copy of the photo on layer 2 and on layer two, click 'Screen' in the blending mode dropdown box.

Also, before you add screen you could apply, image>adjust>autolevels, then try the screen.

Major improvemnt, no real skill involved.

Rogue

Scott,

Asking if I've been to Deep Ellum is kind of understated, I've been going there to see bands play for the last 7 years, and when I was in high school, the band I had played out there for a full summer at a few different clubs.

I've seen so many shows out there. Was just out there the other day, in fact, when taking the photos you see in those links. There's a video store called Forbidden Video close to Fair Park that has lots of indipendant films, old horror movies, japanese ninja movies, robot movies, cult movies ("cult" in the sense that they're really popular with certain people. I'm sure you know this but others may not know that and think I'm talking about movies about cults)
    and music videos. Cool stuff, wierd stuff, documentaries on the most interesting and most boring stuff you could imagine. Don't know if I'd rather watch a documentary on medical photography or a documentary on people who live on the streets in New Orleans, live in squats, panhandle for money, etc. Tough choice. But some really cool videos there.

As for the pictures, it was just light settings, probably the shutter speed. This Mavica functions like an SLR, with so many settings, can be pretty sure of getting a pic just the way I want it. and then photoshop opens up even more options with it.

mg33

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Originally posted by mg33
    was it overcast that day?
    It's all the pollution.--The first one is very cool. Man I miss NY.

The Minister of No Crap

Small World

mg33,

Small world, man. Other than being born in Dallas, I lived near Dallas in 99-00. That's when I met my wife. She actually lived in Ellum for two and a half years.

We're in Philly now, but we haven't quite seen another place like Deep Ellum. So, what was the name of your band?

-scott

Some nice stuff there guys. Dunno why but NY is always a place Ive had a fascination with! Weird...

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by rugbystud
    Some nice stuff there guys. Dunno why but NY is always a place Ive had a fascination with! Weird...
    Same here. I think that's the way it is with a lot of people. Kind of like how Rome was to the rest of the world back when the Roman Empire ruled the world.

-scott

My band was called Elwin, and we played at 21's Amendmant during the summer of 95, also played at the Orbit Room once, which was one of the coolest bars out there until they closed down.

21st got closed because of loosing their liquor license.
    We were mostly a grunge/punk type of sound, at the height of the Nirvana days. The stuff I write now is nothing like that now. My influences now come from bands like The Cure, The Catherine Wheel, The Verve, Sunny Day Real Estate, Hum, and The Autumns.

oh, actually going out to Clearview tonight to see a band called Weener, which is a Weezer cover band. never seen them, but they've won the Observer award for best cover band two years in a row now. Everything about them says that they sound EXACTLY like Weezer, if not better. Should be cool. Then we can buy the new Weezer cd at midnight and also get a free poster. should be tons of fun.

mg33