A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what is "WinSock lib"

when i try to open flash 5 , I get " this application "Flash 5" could not be opened becaused " WinSock Lib" could not be found..

I'm using a G4 .. and i only have the installers not the original CD, can someone lend a hand....Mac-flash friends

Try re-installing flash

What is.....

the Win Sock Lib?

cL

From Conflict Catcher:

"WinSock Lib is a shared library which provides a Macintosh implementation of the
    windows Winsock networking stack. This allows cross platform developers to deploy
    cross platform networking applications without rewriting the networking code specifically
    for the Macintosh."

It is copyrighted by Altura Software
    http:www.altura.com

It's an extension that should be in your system folder. Do a Find on your HD to see
    if you have it; if you don't you should reinstall flash as suggested by me2222 (although
    I can't confirm that flash actually installs this extension). It could be in your Extension Disabled
    folder, for example. That would make it inactive and unavailable to flash.

got it

thanks guys and u macmart flash is up and flashing..
    man i love this site....

hi hitechfunk!

glad to be of assistance!

as a footnote, sometimes you can encounter a similar error message
    (extensions/libraries allegedly missing), but, after verification, the library or extension
    is in fact actually present in your Extensions Folder.
    In such a case, close all applications and restart your Mac.

Upon restart, launch the problem application: is the problem gone?
    If it is gone, it means that you had a memory fragmentation problem, a temporary
    condition which prevented the computer from loading the required library.
    No further steps are necessary.

If the problem is still present, restart again and rebuild your desktop
    (by pressing Option/Command before your desktop reappears).
    After rebuilding the desktop, launch the problem application: is the problem gone?
    If so, you had a minor Desktop File problem. No further steps are necessary.

If the problem persists, you probably have an Extension conflict that prevents
    the required library or extension from loading. More extensive troubleshooting
    is then required.

Regards,

real or temp

well this is what i did i have a copyed version of flash 5 on zip but it would not load because of the "Winsock lib"

so i installed an temp version of Flash on my mac , opend the copyed verison and it worked . check out the "winsock lib " extention and it was there .

then trashed the temp version of flash ..and kept the copyed version on drive . and it works fine

but one problem . when loading the real copyed version I get non commerial use . like the temp verison said before.

so is my flash 5 the real copy or the temp ????

real or temp

well this is what i did i have a copyed version of flash 5 on zip but it would not load because of the "Winsock lib"

so i installed an temp version of Flash on my mac , opend the copyed verison and it worked . check out the "winsock lib " extention and it was there .

then trashed the temp version of flash ..and kept the copyed version on drive . and it works fine

but one problem . when loading the real copyed version I get non commerial use . like the temp verison said before.

so is my flash 5 the real copy or the temp ???? thanks macmart

hi hitechfunk,

i'm not sure I understand the problem regarding your 2 versions of Flash,
    but the message you are getting probably originates from the flash preference file
    (in your System Folder/Preferences Folder).

If you move this file to your desktop and relaunch Flash, you will get a generic screen where
    you need to re-enter your name and serial number. A new Flash 5 Preference file will then be
    created in your Preferences folder and you should be back to normal now. You can then
    trash the Pref file that was moved to the desktop, it's now useless.

hope this helps

Smile

wow it worked .. thanks alot macmart ... if i ever need some help your the first person I'll ask ...thanks again

Glad I could help!

=)!

Trashing the Preference file of an application (or the Preference file of a system component) is often enough to fix some issues; QuarkXPress is a good example of this.

The downside is that you can lose some custom settings when you do so, like the serial number in your case, or tool palette positions, for example. It's a good habit to move the suspect Pref file to the desktop first , relaunch the application or restart if necessary, and see if the
    problem is fixed or not; after that you can either trash the Pref file or return it into the Preferences folder if necessary.

Happy flashing!
    [Edited by macmarts on 05-22-2001 at 12:46 PM]