A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Professional Web Designers

I am curious to know how the professional Web designers that work in Web Design firms produce their Web projects for clients. Do they use freehand HTML, such as writing code in Notepad, or use HTML editors like FrontPage and Dreamweaver? If the pro's use HTML editors, which one do they use?

Well I'm not a professional, yet. heh However I do most of my HTML by hand. I dont use notepad, I use something called 1st Page 2000 (www.evrsoft.com) and by the looks of it, they have a new version. Its a text editor that you can have multiple pages open and has a lot of other features. I sometimes use Dreamweaver, and need to use some type of WYSIWYG editor more often. Anyway I think the top editors out are probably going to be both Frontpage and Dreamweaver. I personally like Dreamweaver over Frontpage. I dont think many use freehand type editing. But it certainly is good to know how to code HTML, in case you have to go back and edit some of the code that the WYSIWYG editors generate.

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=140019

take a look at this thread, it will give you an idea!

I believe that every designer finds tools that they are comfortable with. That is why "editor wars" are so stupid. I used to use FP2k a lot until I was introduced to Dreamweaver and UltraDev. An editor has the advantage of speed of design, but when it comes to inserting alot of script code.. they really fall down on the job, because they try to think for you. That is why it important to know html at least some what, because that way you are able to fix the problems that editor sometimes cause. Let's face it there are some areas where you just can't use any editor. This is why I believe that a proffesional designer, is going to probably see the strengths in a lot of tools.

That is just my 3 cents worth :-)

Yup, Dreamweaver, UltraDev and Homesite. Since I do a lot of sites that must comply to the WAI (Web Accessiblity Guidelines), I'm forced to handcode some HTML tags. I use Homesite for that. Also, I use Homesite to code some ASP that Ultradev doesn't. I do use an variety of tools that help with CSS like TopStyle.

For graphic work, I use Fireworks, and some Photoshop. For Flash work, 99.99% of the time I use Swish. Most of my work doesn't really require any serious graphic work...

Thanks for the information guys! I'm planning on buying an HTML editor because I am getting sick and tired of trying to align things such as tables with freehand HTML in Notepad. From the information you've provided and with a little search in other topics, I've come to the conclusion that Macromedia Dreamweaver is better than FrontPage (maybe even the best editor). So I'm going to think a little more about it then get Dreamweaver in a couple days.

Thanks again.

I've tried the macromedia web kits and adobe's also.... macromedia is WIN I always use Dreamweaver to pull my html sites together, Fireworks for my graphics and a Flash/Swish combo for Flash sites. SWiSh being the better half But some things you just gotta use FLASH for.

-G$-

i'm not professional, but...

i generally write html by hand, but using frontpage, aol press or dreamweaver(my favourite) to design table layout etc, and then cutting and pasting the codes. this gives you the best features from all the wysiwyg editors.

I also do this mainly because i once had a bad experience with some unstable javascript, which stopped working if you opened the page in anything other than a text editor (because they don't fiddle with your code.)

the funny thing is, i left that job, leaving strict instructions never to open that page in a wysiwyg editor, and guess what? it doesn't work now. http://www.shiptons.co.uk

i get all my colour codes using psp6.

I use UltraDev and also hardcode. I have also used FrontPage in the past.

notepad

I attended a web designing conference Tuesday, and the same question was asked.

The instructer, said that most professional designers use more than one editor to create pages. He said personally he uses Frontpage 2000, Adobe GoLive, and Dreamweaver. He showed us how to get rid of the extra garbage in Frontpage, so we could use it in any editors. He also noted that each has its advantages and disadvantages, thats why he may use all his editors on one project.

Personally I use note pad, but I'm also looking into buying a editor.

Ultra Edit 32 is my personal choice. Pretty reasonable price, also. $30 US i believe.

http://www.textpad.com

i use textpad for hard coding - it allows colour coding key words, and automatic indenting.

i also use it for most other scripting (cgi and tcl)

http://www.textpad.com

Measles from Brussels
    Most of the time I use Editpad, written by a compatriot of mine.
    Very slicky and I even believe it's freeware (postcardware)