A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Subtitle versus Fansub versus Dubbing

Ok, i am sure someone might have asked this, but i really want to know what other people think. What is your favorite way to watch an anime. Be it subtitle, fansub, or voice dubbing. I don't care either way i watch it, but i prefer to see them subtitled. (there is just something so unique about hearing the japanese language)

I, too, prefer watching subtitled with Japanese soundtrack, particularly if the translation is faithful to the original content (Bandai/Pioneer have been really good about this). I usually buy DVDs nowadays, which have the benefit of having both an english language and japanese with subtitled track for the same cost as a VHS casette (with only one or the other), which means I usually watch an anime at least twice, not that that's at all unusal

Lightbulb Hey CNO

I guess if you watch them all on DVD you also have the benefit of catching the differences in the translations from subtitle to dub. So then you would be able to spot subtle changes in the film and you never know, that may come in handy in an anime trivia contest one day.<---- (j/a/l/j) But seriously, you would be able to notice the differences in the way it is written and the way it is spoken. And you make a good point, as long as the translation is faithful. I mean, you wouldn't want to watch two ninja's having a heated sword duel and the subtitle reads "you stole my Peanut Butter, now i make no sandwich. you very bad person. very, very bad". Until next time..

I am a very strong proponent of subtitling, in any form of movie translation. The feel of the movie is simply much more natural for me because you get the actual inflection that the actors use for their charaters, also you get a feel for the voice that everyone was meant to have and not a generic 3 year-old voice for all of the girls.

Smile brother MUGEN

Preach on! Preach on! I know where you're coming from!!

only 2 words for the world...subtitles rule... i think listening to the orignal voice actors is much better...you get a better feel towards the series...not when you have some 8th grader trying to be a 4th grader

ok im gonna be pounded here. i love it dubbed. its awesome! i just didnt like reading the subtitles cause i would miss the action at the same time. that suxed. i only tried subtitles like 5 times. each time i hated it. so. sue me. all of you! i defy you all! donw with subtitles! up with dubbed! YAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH! ok ill shut up now befor i get beaten down