A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What about a database...

Asking all you people aho use Flash5 and web developing as your main source of income. Is Flash5 Actionscript capable of any type of databasing into an animated GUI or its potentials are o long way below these of tools as Ultradev4
    and other php asp and perl powerapps.

Is it posible to set a database SAFELY behind an actionscript structure. Or Flash5 actionscript is only a programming tool to give flashsites more amazing visyal effects. Can it support interactive databasing or will it take me a lifetime to do what i would do in one week with php.

Is there a book which concentrates in actionscript and databasing at all. If you can recomend a solution an answer and a book i would be gratefull.

Thanks in advance...

I'm not sure if it can be done but if it can it won't be very secure. There is a program called SWF Scanner that will allow you to take your swf file, and decompile your action scripts showing the complete code. Other then that I really can't help.
    --
    Dan

Hi

flash does not directly access a database, in the same way as your browser does not directly access a database. So it is the combination: eihter html or flash to perform the user interaction (and here flash can make nicer interfaces than html) and perl or php to feed the data
    Whatever you can do in one week with php is send the user a form, take back the filled-out data, process them, and so on.
    You might want to take a look at the Flash / SQL components thread (a few posts below)

About safety: you know that all content in a flash movie is more or less visible, so if you tried to put database access entirely in flash with no serverside scripting, you would give someone all he might want to know to access your data in ways you dont want him to.
    Ok, I could imagine an interactive database access for a remote admin as a html or flash form where you could simply type sql statements, but I would make sure it is heavily protected.

Musicman

when it comes to dynamically driven flash site ?

What do use suggest for database backgroung and support.
    ASP,PHP,XML????
    Or ultradev will also do.
    By the way can i create my objects in flash and then save the instances in a database. You know sth like customers of a business. Can you help me. Which can be more effectively accessed by flash for a simple site with data at the backdrop?? ASP,XML,PHP or simple HTML
    Can it be done by flash alone??

Thanx for any help and tip.

Try this link that Chris MacGregor posted on flazoom.com. It might be what you are looking for i dont know??? it is a SQL pack to enable SQL commands in flash 5...

http://www.markme.com/as/flashsql/

Smile that is really usefull thnx.....

The kit is really a help.... thnx dude.
    By the way is there a book that a book about actionscript that is concertrating in the combination of flash actionscript and data with sql, php, asp and other.

What you gave me is usefull cause i can utilize my sql datasets but can i do the same with asp php and other and how. I dont't expect u to teach me i just need a link and more a book.

I really thank you for the link....