A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: first? and miniml

Is it just me, or am I the first person to post here? Cool. Anyway, it seems like everyone is using the miniml fonts now adays (self included). Why do you think we like them so much?

Because they're trendy. Many people fail to find a way to look beyond trends. They're what make the world go round.

mg33

Originally posted by newtheory
    Anyway, it seems like everyone is using the miniml fonts now adays (self included). Why do you think we like them so much?
    as mg says its because theyre "trendy"

there was a big trend last year for gill sans over here and then that turned into Eurostile and other similar modern square fonts

its a shame when a good font gets to popular and people start to get sick of the sight of it - example being Slicker

anybody who was at art/design college in mid late 80s in UK will remember a hideous font called Squire - never has a single font been so overused in so many inappropriate settings (all because it looked nice - in a cheesy sort of way)

Cool Trendy? Yes, but also . . .

The miniml fonts are undoubtably soopah trendy right now but lets not forget they are popular for another extremely good reason - They are some of the few fonts available that can be used to produce crisp, legible text in Flash because they are pure pixel fonts, although I have found the set sizes for the fonts to be a bit restrictive at times. I'd be interested in hearing of any other pixel-fonts that folks have used successfully within Flash . . .

If you really needed text to be crisp in Flash, why not use system fonts? They're the ones with the underscore in front of them.

Originally posted by CNO
    If you really needed text to be crisp in Flash, why not use system fonts? They're the ones with the underscore in front of them.
    And they tend to look ok sometimes too!

Fresh Prince of FK
    Originally posted by TheEnigma
    Originally posted by CNO
    And they tend to look ok sometimes too!

I don't know... i think that using device fonts usually suck big time. I just think that they look cheesy. The miniml fonts (or pixel fonts) are great, because they are clean and small.

A new font (called Orbitz) is VERY clean and not the usual minimal type of box font. It's from Ken Kimura:

http://www.kimuradesign.com/xtra_orbitz.html

Neat font, but when I downloaded it, I only got a file called Orbitz, with no file extension. How am I supposed to open that up?

why miniml fonts? Because they dont get anti-aliased in flash.

why pixel fonts? I guess it is a trend, but they do look nice and are very very practical for websites. You can't get text that small that remains that ledgible and looks good too.

I don't think it's fair to say that it's a just trend and everyone is just blindly jumping on the bandwagon. if it looks good, use it......I'm not gonna stop using pixel fonts because everyone else is.

screw everyone else, I like my pixel fonts.

Smile

Well,I agree that trends dictate what we like and don't like
    but,there is an overall look and feel to flash that I think
    is very well represented with their fonts.It's just like all
    the sites that have those looping electronic beats,...it just works well.
    But in a more logical way,they are very clean and easy
    to read although they are small.Most of the other fonts
    get reall muddy and illegible when you make them small
    or constrain them...a problem I was just dealing with in
    a site I'm currently working on...These fonts are great
    for small text windows,menues,...whatever...and yes they
    look cool!