A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Get involved - FLASH.project.3d_(rpg)

binaryhit
    I was thinking of a couple of ways in which this could happen.

1. Using a server app that you could subscribe too, this would probably be the best option.

2. Set a cookie on the users system that could be called at any time.

If anyone has a cool database app that would be useful for this maybe miva/perl then please submit to with a bit of info of how to get full use out of it? Don't worry if it's a little scrappy, I can neaten it all up as long as there is signup!:

mailto:feedback@binaryhit.com

Thanks guys it coming on nicly now, new update v.soon!

Gary

I have been working on a Dynamic Content Publishing Engine that could be altered to make it work with this.

Basically it is a set of classes and functions that simplify the loading of data to and from a webserver.

I still have serious doubts about any true 3-d system done in flash... it's really not possible to do on a large scale. Flash is not that robust

binaryhit
    Wait there and i'll post something for you mojo!!!

binaryhit
    Ok check this out mojo

http://binaryhit.com/rpg/true3d.html

It running in real time

Gary

This way In
    Binary, post an swf of the isometric engine working with a few textures.. maybe change the cube into a little man?

That's pretty cool and all... but let me know when you can take a 3-D model, import it's verticies and then render THOSE in flash.

Actually, let me know when you know how to import a binary file into flash period

A Flash RPG is a cool idea, but you will always be stuck with a 2-d Isometric style (ala Fallout, Baldurs Gate, etc).

Originally posted by binaryhit
    Ok check this out mojo

http://binaryhit.com/rpg/true3d.html

It running in real time

Gary
    yes.. you *can* do true 3d, but creating an entire world with it is an entirly different matter, here you only have 8 points. Making a landscape and multiple object will take at least 100 or more, thus becoming extremly slow. true 3d for a project like this just isnt an option. Isometrics is the only way to go. and even that get slow if want it be able scoll large areas. It could work if you only let the charachters move and not scroll the actual map. Then you could just do it so that when you leave the current screen it moves to the next.
    well...I'm of to bed, its 0:30 here and I gotta get up for work 2morow, keep on the good discusion and remeber to be realistic about the possibilities
    LateZzzz...

binaryhit
    Obviously not finnished yet but here it is with some grass texture!

http://binaryhit.com/rpg/iso.html

Gary

This way In
    Looking pretty good. I wish I could code something like that. Ah well. Im mainly a graphics person.

binaryhit
    Yes, the going off the screen idea was what I was thinking about but maybe using a map by about 30x30 then when you can walk toward a corner the character moves instead of the map. I was meaning to use the real time 3d for cut scenes, and maybe a couple of objects collectable in the game!

I am definatly going with the isometric 3d stuff, I feel that the realtime 3d stuff isn't up to scratch yet. maybe using realtime 3d in conjuction with another method would be pretty cool, but we'll see how it goes and what submissions are posted. I see the end product using your isometric technique! It's very good.

Quick question, Is there a way to plot other characters that appear in the game then maybe when your standing in a square next to them you could press the space bar to run a mc? i.e talk to them!

Gary

I found this tutorial of a flash 3D engine...

http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/3D...89/index.shtml

Its really G.R.E.A.T I tried to understand it but my dificullty with math makes it really hard...

If anyone understands this maybe it can be used for the game...

If you really want a true 3D world, as opposed to the isometric system, I really don't think this project can be achieved using Flash. If anything, it's got to be done in Shockwave - the new version has 3D support, and is just a more powerful interactive tool in general. As has been suggested already in this thread, creation of true 3D in Flash will require an absurd amount of coding from scratch. I think it would be best to reconsider before you spend hours of time attempting to do it in Flash only to release that it won't really be feasible.

What do you think?

binaryhit
    lol, I know!!!! I'm using 3d isometric!!!

binaryhit
    Hey behp, I have checked out the tutorial you send before, I've even got it all on my PC, it is a wicked bit of flash but unfortunatly you can't add tuxtures to it! It uses actionscript to depict a 3d perspective of vision to create a line, there fore it's not solid.

Thanks for posting though, How id the dragon going, I'm really keen to check it out!

I have a task for you if you want to get real technical on your 3d stuff!! Let me know!

Gary

Im sorry but I dont have time right now...
    Because Im building a full system for 800 courses(forums, chats, sending and posting works, Students ID, etc...) in my work(I work for a University)...

so I dont have time for other stuff...

But if its not urgent tell me what the task is and Ill try to work on it when I have a chance...

binaryhit
    No it wasn't urget, it was a "Game ending" but it would be alot of work so I guess I can ask someone else as you probabbly won't have time!

Thanks anyway!

binaryhit
    Hey guys I finnished off the grass textures you can see em at:

http://binaryhit.com/rpg/iso.html

binaryhit
    Dr. Funfrock,

The link on your page to the info about the game isn't working! I don't know if you knew this but I thought i'd tell you just incase you didn't!

Gary

binaryhit
    Updated:

http://binaryhit.com/rpg/enchantment

The story isn't in order but just showing how the screen will look when getting a weapon!

Gary

Hey PsychoFlasher, how do you like the grass? Also how did you go on with the isometric stuff? Were you able to do those thing discussed in earlier post?

If I knew how to add characters that would be a good start! they need to have a variable also so they can be distinguished with character and start the right movie clip when you talk to them.

If you can help with this please could you let me know?

Gary

i've gotta say, it's starting to look good! Since the true 3d is out of the question you'll just have to let me know if there's anything you need help with! Or i'll just hang around this thread and see you put your flashy brains together... kepp it up!
    //Mike