A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloading between scenes

Question

I have a huge (380k) Flash site (www.fafrogdesign.com) which has a preloader to load the first scene - to load all at once takes to long. The rest then load while you view the menu screen. The problem is that if you press a button to go to another scene it jumps to the point at which the movie has loaded up to - not the start of the requested scene where there is a preloader. I simply can't figure out a way to arrange the preloaders so that they work.

I'm using the first two frames of each scene as a preloader:

Frame one has:
    If frame is loaded (end of scene)
    got to 3

Frame two has:
    Go to 1

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong or has a different way of doing it I'll buy them a pint.

cheers.

Hmm.. That should work. One thought.. If "end of scene" is a frame label, then it should be in quotes, like this:

Frame one has:
    If frame is loaded ("end of scene")
    got to 3

If it still does not work.. then I'm stumped. Perhaps if you would like to show me the FLA, I could provide more help.

<EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000205.swf" quality=high WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=50 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Lightbulb

What is happening is that the frames are not loaded yet, so flash never gets to your little preloader check..

put your check in the menu button [you would have to specify the scene as well..]

this should prevent flash from trying to jump to a frame that is not there...