A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I Think I'm Changing my Intro, Have a Look, Let me Know

New Yorker
    Hi,
    I was working on a new menu with some resources and went of track, so i ended up {i think} with a new intro. Is it obvious what to do there, for visitors to find there way into the site?
    Thanks
    D
    http://designsbydion.com

UNified
    Dion..thats the nicest work Ive seen from you EVER.
    Its calming attractive and interesting.

Comments..
    1. Where you bring in the name New York..Could you please also bring in the name of each piece of artwork as it appears on mouse over.
    2. I'm sure you can and will find a better graphic of N.Y.City
    3. The vertical text is too difficult to read and distracts from the other transforms, sounds and sights. (just imagine how big the New York Times would be if it used vertical text..and how few papers they would sell)
    4. Resist adding to it..be brave enough to edit it.
    5. Love the font selection

6. Go back to the first sentence of this reply.
    Jofta

Just to expand on what Jofta is saying there. I also think you might want to pull the vertical text. The whole layout pulls wonderfully to the center. My eyes then my hand followed naturally right into it. Great work.

New Yorker
    Jofta, Doug
    If you stop back have a look I applied the suggested changes.
    Thanks, funny I wasn't working on a intro. But now I link into the other one that was there.
    Thanks

UNified
    Originally posted by dion747
    Jofta, Doug
    If you stop back have a look I applied the suggested changes.
    Thanks, funny I wasn't working on a intro. But now I link into the other one that was there.
    Thanks
    Yep...looks better already..nice images, easy links. A lovely intro

Well, personally, I wouldn't even consider that an intro. It is very short. And most intro's aren't so interactive. But it is good to have a change.

I wouldn't want a long intro, but I wouldn't want one that short either. On the other hand, it is good to be straight to the point, but again, not that short.

One suggestion:

1) I went back to it and reviewed it, and well, the Designs by Dion Presentation at the first is really getting on my nerve, well with the "Hey You". LOL. I really wouldn't want to see that everytime I went there.

And also, the Designs by Dion text is on typewriter I'm assuming, or scale characters. And there is a slight bug on it. It starts typing from "Des" the DES is already there and it starts typing.

But it does look very good.
    [Edited by jon128 on 05-28-2001 at 03:22 PM]

I gotta tell ya D, you just keep kickin this stuff to new levels. You have really taken this thing Swish and run with it. Just watching you makes me better because of many of the cool things you have come up with. As always a joy.

New Yorker
    Jofta,
    Thanks, still added some more, in a sense, just tied in two swish's to give it a tie in before the html action.

Jon,
    Yeah your right it lagged a bit, {scale} i stopped using type the program keeps going in error.
    As far as the The Designs by Dion on the front page, I rather see my co. Name than the word "loading" I don't know anyone named "Loading" to me this is a waste of ad space. {I paid for mine} Once a client enters the site i believe they would have the sence to bookmark the spot they want if they want one, If not then they'll have to get bored with my co name instead of loading. So, in effect, if they get sick of it they'll remember it. I changed it a bit so it's not so in your face, but it's my way of not using Loading. If it was up to me I would just post a naked babe while the swish loaded, but that could be a problem. So this is why i use different things at the preload level. I'm a Rebel what can I tell yer.

Doug
    Thanks,
    I keep trying things, some work some don't but you never know till you try, happy i help you open up creatively, it's like a canvas, sometimes when your finished with the painting there are lot more layers of paint than you planned on using. One think about me I'll experiment, and keep on experimenting, can't learn if you don't. When I first join here, all was happening was fancy text, in 2 months scripts and dhtml and all kinds of things have happened to a simple little text effects program, I mean look at what Velez and Monkey Pants keep coming up with, I'm no tech wiz like these guys, but i work more with visuals and i try to keep it fresh and crisp if i can.
    D

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    wow, most impressive. was just a little confused to what triggerd the images....and of course a good idea to hide the loading period
    btw, on your mainpage your saying that 300m people are on the internet...the other day i noticed that macromedia are claiming that 370m. people got flashplayer.

UNified
    Originally posted by wolfgross
    wow, most impressive. was just a little confused to what triggerd the images....and of course a good idea to hide the loading period
    btw, on your mainpage your saying that 300m people are on the internet...the other day i noticed that macromedia are claiming that 370m. people got flashplayer.
    Thats marketing for you Wolf..

Carpe Diem - Moderator wolfgross's Avatar
    well i would be happy with a penny of each of 'em. ..even aussi oi,oi cents!

you did everyting using just swish??? that program's pretty limited...
    But pretty good ideas.

One is only limited by one's mind with Swish and graphics.

New Yorker
    Wolf,
    Thanks, it says approx. 300 million and it says every 7 seconds a new one joins, did i count them no, is macromedia over promoting, i don't know, but i'll tell one thing the numbers are still astonishing. Besides, I'm not gonna change my my page every 7 seconds, but i do believe i've seen a script that has the acutal numbers and changes with every sign up. like the us debt sign in NYC. If your gonna dream dream big, for get that penny stuff and dream of nickels, lol

Niteboy,
    You busted me, how'd you know i was using flash, what gave it away?

Doug You sound like a swammie,
    Thanks Guys
    D