A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: tell target to stop sound and goto postition in mc - within external swf

having trouble with tell target. I am trying to stop my b/g music loop play and got to the off position in it's mc, when I play a large streaming song. Basically the music stops (stop all sounds) but I can't send information via instance name in tell target because it is an external swf - and won't find it.

what am I doing wrong?

Please help, even if it is pointing me to a tutorial, coz I have to sort it by the morning - thats's my deadline.

HEEEEEELLLLLLP!

Hi...well I'm not sure of the code you're using now, but this would probably work....let's say you loaded your external movie into level2...then the action on a button might look something like this:

on (release) {
    _level2.myMovieClip.gotoAndStop(2);
    stopAllSounds ();
    }

And of course, 'myMovieClip' would be replaced with the instance name of the movieClip in your external movie...

Hope this is what you're looking for...

-pigghost-

It looks like it, I will give it a try. Just one thing though, do I need to put the swf name in aswell, being that it is an external swf?

Originally posted by pigghost
    Hi...well I'm not sure of the code you're using now, but this would probably work....let's say you loaded your external movie into level2...then the action on a button might look something like this:

on (release) {
    _level2.myMovieClip.gotoAndStop(2);
    stopAllSounds ();
    }

And of course, 'myMovieClip' would be replaced with the instance name of the movieClip in your external movie...

Hope this is what you're looking for...

-pigghost-

Hi...no, you don't want to put in the swf name, it won't work if you do...

You see once you load it into a level...be it level1, level50, or whatever...then that level number becomes its path or basically its name...for all practical purposes, it's no longer external...just on a different level

So you could load any number of external movies in different levels and reference any mc or frame or label in any of those movies just by starting the path by the right level number followed by a movieClip's instance name or whatever...

I hope this makes sense...

-pigghost-

thanks

OK, it still don't work. Firstly, can I put this action in with the play action within the one mouse command - i.e. on press - or should I use a new section called on release -silly question, but in flash 4, you need to have begins and ends on everything - is flash 5 the same? Showing how little I know...........

but anyway, I think the problem maybe that it can't get to the correct level within the sound clip - not where it has loaded. What I mean is that the mc is on the root level and the labels are on the next level, so can it be that it can't find it? should I give the inside level(2nd level) another instance, as well as the first?

I know I am confussed, but it is 4am and I only have 4 hours till I hand it in...........help!

Hi...no, you don't want to put in the swf name, it won't work if you do...

You see once you load it into a level...be it level1, level50, or whatever...then that level number becomes its path or basically its name...for all practical purposes, it's no longer external...just on a different level

So you could load any number of external movies in different levels and reference any mc or frame or label in any of those movies just by starting the path by the right level number followed by a movieClip's instance name or whatever...

I hope this makes sense...

-pigghost-

Okay...I'm not real clear on what you're trying to do, I guess...

If you're trying to address two different things with one button press...you can...

You mentioned something about a mc on the root level and some labels on another....

For example, you could have something like this:

on (release) {
    _root.myMovieClip.doThis;
    _level2.anotherMovieClip.doWhatever;
    stopAllSounds ();
    }

Without knowing more about your set-up, I'm just guessing at what you're after...

Hope this helps...

-pigghost-

sorry, I was being a fool....it worked! I should have informed you at 4am tues morning(my morning of glory) when I finally cracked it, and yes I know it's simple stuff, but for me (the junior) it is amazing.

cheers!

Okay...I'm not real clear on what you're trying to do, I guess...

If you're trying to address two different things with one button press...you can...

You mentioned something about a mc on the root level and some labels on another....

For example, you could have something like this:

on (release) {
    _root.myMovieClip.doThis;
    _level2.anotherMovieClip.doWhatever;
    stopAllSounds ();
    }

Without knowing more about your set-up, I'm just guessing at what you're after...

Hope this helps...

-pigghost-