A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Get involved - FLASH.project.3d_(rpg)

ok this is just for me but if i do something i think is good ill post it......

in the main actions the comments say name the new textures c[number]_[number]. Thats fine, but say I wanted to create a mud texture...then how would I go about it. I have located the libraries and where the texture files are but there are 2....one is called supporting tiles? Whats the difference?

also how do I, once I have created a new texture, how do i put it in the same sub-folder in the library? The default is the one with the menu options such as characters, environmental effects etc.

finally, if I have made myself a texture how do I insert it into the actions? It must go in here....

//texture number

tex = [[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0],
    [0,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0],
    [0,1,1,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],
    [0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0],
    [0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0],
    [0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0],
    [0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0],
    [0,0,0,1,1,1,1,1,0,0,0],
    [1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],
    [1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],
    [1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1],
    [1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]];

but how do these numbers relate to the map? Is "0" the original, basic green texture, and "1" the grass texture?

OK I'm gonna be brave and put 2 and 2 together here....would I name my new texture c[2]_[1-4] then insert a "2" in place of a "0"? Then would it (on testing the movie) display my new texture on 1 square?

LOL, you're probably thinking "jeez he is stupid!" and your probably right, it's just I'd like to have a go at working this out for myself but I need to know what is what!

Ta,
    Dr_Funfrock.

ps. i worked out how to do the movie in the library so i dont need to be told how ta do that now, cheers.

binaryhit
    Funfrock, you got it thats how to change textures, yes!!!

Gary

Becarful to not change the shading layer... Also if you are happy with the ammount of color of your texture image then set the TINT layer to a guide so it doesnt change your texture...

P.S - you only need to make one texture file... The shading layer takes care of making the texture lighter or darker to make it look 3D...

Post if you understood that... :P

NOTE: This applies to anyone who does textures...
    (Please use those layers so the textures will all have the same lighting...)

Another Update...

I made an experimental RANDOM weather system...
    to add some atmospherics to the maps...

Check it out if you like it Ill improve and post the FLA here for all to see...

http://ceti.macam.ac.il/sebs/iso6.swf

Would like to help

Hello all! I'm new to this site. I was looking around for some help on an flash RPG I've started working on, when I came across this project. I would like to help where I can.

Currently, my rpg game will be much like the original Final Fantasy on the NES. The graphics will be much the same style and movement. But I have had issues. One I can't figure out how to get the map to move and keep the charter in the center and NOT walk through the "walls". I saw this in one of the demo files in this thread and would like to know how that was done. Also, I can't seem to find out how to pass variables from scene to scene.

Any help on these questions would be great. But I posted on this thread so that I can lend a helping hand if needed.

Thanks
    Red

the random weather system is great, will really add a subtle difference each page load. im gonna get on with some textures now.

how will we link the different maps together. say we have this map and you leave at one square, how does it link seamlessly into the next block?

if i do anything good ill post it for you all to see ok.

bye!

oh yeah also soemthing that really has bugged me where do you name the texture files c[2] etc? i cant see any names in either the instance name or the frame name.....and the movie clips arent called c..etc are they? And the library anmes are just grass_slant etc.

Also, im gathering that with regards to texture, c[1]_[1] is from 0 degrees, c[1]_[2] is from 90 degrees, c[1]_[3] is from 180 degrees etc?

How are these named too?

and what are supporting MC's in environmental effects library?

Originally posted by Dr_Funfrock
    oh yeah also soemthing that really has bugged me where do you name the texture files c[2] etc? i cant see any names in either the instance name or the frame name.....and the movie clips arent called c..etc are they? And the library anmes are just grass_slant etc.

Also, im gathering that with regards to texture, c[1]_[1] is from 0 degrees, c[1]_[2] is from 90 degrees, c[1]_[3] is from 180 degrees etc?

How are these named too?
    since the blocks are put in with 'attachMovie' they are named in "export symbol" (rightclick in library, goto 'linkage', then give it an export name)
    -the rotation is the 4 frames in the movieclip
    -type is this the first number c2_1
    -texture is the second number c2_1
    so the above would be type:2 texture:1
    Also remeber that in the 4 frames for the rotation, the block must rotate in a clockwise direction!!....otherwise it will mess up.
    [Edited by PsychoFlasher on 05-30-2001 at 12:47 PM]

Supporting MC's is in the library "MAP PEICES" in the "ISO ENGINE" library...

Supporting MC's is all MC's(Movie Clips) that are within the "Map Peices" MC's...

P.S - I havent found where are the MC's named with the c_[number]_[number] format...

earlier on (psychoflasher i think) said that all map pieces should be named in that format...oh well so long as it works?

can you give me a quick tute on how to create new map textures? eg. how to save them etc and use them. im half way there i think but half knowledge is useless!

cheers, Dr_Funfrock

Any work been done on a main character? Just out of interest has anyone even though about it? I'm guessing he'll be medieval like the plot? So how's about a Jester? He'd look the part!

Ideas?

Dr_Funfrock.

binaryhit
    Hey guys check out
    http://binaryhit.com/rpg/iso6.html

I heard loads of people were asking for zoom so I did it for ya!

The fla is:

http://binaryhit.com/iso6.fla

It will be easy to do the cloads too so I didn't bother with that yet as i'm developing moving cloads, clouds with rain etc lol

Hope you guys like it!

//gary

binaryhit
    The main characer will be a medievil warrior! That why he was chosen by Traos!

Gary

binaryhit
    The fla file to the comment 2 posts ago is http://binaryhit.com/rpg/iso6.fla sorry!

binaryhit
    Could everyone update me on what textures we have? So people don't duplicate and types!

Also could the post them?

Gary

Gary...

Didnt you see my post... I made a random clouds...
    And I posted a SWF (on page 2)...

Tell me if you saw it...

Here is the link...

http://ceti.macam.ac.il/sebs/iso6.swf
    http://ceti.macam.ac.il/sebs/iso6.fla
    [Edited by behp on 05-30-2001 at 03:35 PM]

binaryhit
    No I hadn't seen your post I must have missed it sorry!

The random cloads are realy cool I like em alot. I think that we should use that method most definatly!

//Gary

P.S. Any news on the textures anyone??

Im adding occasional lighting from the black clouds, some rain from grey clouds... and I thought of making a ray of light from the white clouds...

I tried making animation but it slows the game very much...

If anyone want to play with the functions...

Then here is a brief explanation on the variables:

Code:
    cloudPos=new Array()
    cloudNum=new Array();
    cloudSize=new Array();
    cloudHeight=new Array();
    pCloud=new Array();

cloudPos = [[[-96,-164],[-56,-144],[-16,-124],[24,-104],[64,-84],[94,-74]],
    			[[-146,-134],[-106,-114],[-66,-94],[-6,-74],[34,-54],[74,-34]],
    		    [[-196,-104],[-156,-84],[-116,-64],[-76,-44],[-36,-24],[4,-4]],
    		    [[-246,-74],[-206,-54],[-166,-34],[-126,-14],[-86,6],[-46,26]]];

cloudNum = [int(Math.random()*6)+1,int(Math.random()*6)+1,int(Math.random()*6)+1];
    	cloudSize = [int(Math.random()*50),int(Math.random()*30),int(Math.random()*10)];
    	cloudHeight = [0,int(Math.random()*50),int(Math.random()*100)];
    cloudPos=new Array()
    cloudNum=new Array();
    cloudSize=new Array();
    cloudHeight=new Array();
    pCloud=new Array();

CloudPos - Is an array with the Coordinates of the position where to generate clouds... (This is a fix numbers)...
    cloudNum - an array of three cells (whiteCloud,greyCloud,blackCloud)(this is randomized each time you run the function)...
    cloudSize - an array like cloudNum but for the size of each type of cloud(This is randomized for each cloud of a type to give a more natural look)...
    cloudHeight - an Array like the two above for an height for a type(since the darker the cloud the heavier it is and the lower it needs to be)... (the cloud height affects the size, because the lower it is the farther from the "camera")...

pCloud - is a temp variable to randomize the position of the cloud...

[Edited by behp on 05-30-2001 at 05:00 PM]