A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: scrolling platform alpha test

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    I've got the basic engine working for a scrolling platform type game, I don't know where I'm going with it yet, but would appreciate comments/critisism etc.

left/right arrows and up to jump, click on the movie first.

http://62.253.132.126/movement5.swf
    The latest version is here:
    http://62.253.132.126/

Cheers.

[Edited by lesli_felix on 05-27-2001 at 05:04 PM]

Slight Glitch:

every time you walk left or right, your lady bug starts to fall again and then is caught by the platform...makes it really shakey.

The Spyder

P.S.

The lady bug looks wonderful!

Thanx Netspyder,
    That glitch is giving trouble at the moment, its because im trying to get the little bug to walk over curved and rough surfaces. I do have a solution, but I haven't yet been able to implement it without causing more serious glitches. I haven't given up, though. The crash detection is also iffy at the moment, on account of the fact that there is no sideways or upwards detection. I wont bother with that until I've perfected the movement.

Oh and keep your eyes off my bug mr spyder!!

"Welcome to my parlor said the spider to the fly."

I guess a lady bug is close enough to a fly....LUNCH TIME!!!

The Spyder

Mk II

Here's the latest version, I've just about cracked the scrolling problem. It's reasonable at the moment, but I'm probably going to ditch the idea of curved surfaces so that I can get more performance out of it. I've some more plans for this fella, so expect a significant update after the weekend.
    All comments/criticism and ideas welcome:

http://62.253.132.126/movement6.swf

Smile hahahahahahah

Wow, the second version is so much better!

I love it so far. What is she going ta do? Did you draw that ladybug in flash?

Cheers, Threebrain.
    The ladybug's shell was made in 3d, rendered at different angles, exported as a jpeg and traced. The rest of her was drawn and animated in flash. There's still some work to do on her, as I'd like a smoother transition between running and jumping/flying.
    The next thing I'm going to do with this is to code it so that it only scrolls when the bug gets nearer to the edge of the screen, rather than scrolling as soon as she moves. You'll see this in most of the older 2d platform games, including mario/sonic etc. as it adds a lot to the framerate.
    Then of course I've got to add some bad guys, power-ups, an objective and maybe even a plot. I haven't even begun to think about that yet, but I'm fairly confident it can be done. -----watch this space-----

OK,
    Here's with the new scrolling routine I was talking about:

http://62.253.132.126/movement7.swf

added some more

Some more features added today. Aliased scrolling, Parallax background and some lightning(just for laughs)

All versions of this demo now at:
    http://62.253.132.126/

Re: added some more

that some good ****!
    i'm working on a platform game myself
    do any of you guys know much about
    enemy artificial intelligence?

Thumbs up character movement

hi there

i am having trouble getting the character in my game
    to move left and right, as in press left he faces left
    press right he faces right.

i must be going about it in totally the wrong way can someone help?

many thanx

Originally posted by lesli_felix
    Cheers, Threebrain.
    The ladybug's shell was made in 3d, rendered at different angles, exported as a jpeg and traced. The rest of her was drawn and animated in flash. There's still some work to do on her, as I'd like a smoother transition between running and jumping/flying.
    The next thing I'm going to do with this is to code it so that it only scrolls when the bug gets nearer to the edge of the screen, rather than scrolling as soon as she moves. You'll see this in most of the older 2d platform games, including mario/sonic etc. as it adds a lot to the framerate.
    Then of course I've got to add some bad guys, power-ups, an objective and maybe even a plot. I haven't even begun to think about that yet, but I'm fairly confident it can be done. -----watch this space-----

Paulbui - I'm working on some routines for quick and convincing AI at the moment. I think I've cracked it, but it's gonna take some fiddling before it works properly. I'll keep you posted.

Laverty - The simplest way of doing this is to reverse the horizontal scale of the main character's movieclip:

if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {fred._x +=10; fred._xscale= 100}
    if (Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)) {fred._x -=10; fred._xscale= -100}

First line, if right arrow is pressed, move right 10 pixels and set character pointing right.
    Second line, if left arrow is pressed, move left 10 pixels and set character pointing left.

This assumes that your original character points to the right. Fred is the INSTANCE name of your character, not the name of the movieclip.

I'll be around if you have any problems with this.

:-D

i like the games process functionally, but it's all boxy now. The 2nd is much more fun cause it's all green and puffy and cute like the bug is runnin around on a plant or sompin. This 3rd one is cold and boxy and seems more generic.

re: character movement

Thanx lesli_felix

that worked a treat... cheers dude!

Nice!

Wow! You have done exectly what I want to do, in a way. I'm trying to figure out how to move your charter around. But they stay in the middle of the screen and still can't walk through stuff.
    I would love to see your .fla file for this. Or maybe you could give me a clue as how you made the movement.
    Thanks
    Red

Re: Nice!

I'm writing a tutorial at the moment which comprises :-

a fully functional 2d scrolling platform engine
    2 types of camera system
    platforms that are not static
    fully animated characters
    simple enemy intelligence
    collecteable icons

and the best bit

a LEVEL EDITOR!!!

beta's up soon!

Threebrain - I know what your saying, I got fed up with the scenery after a while and decided to try something different. However, the green stuff with the red ladybird goes really well. I'll probably have a mixture in the final game tho' just for variety.

Laverty - No problem.

Red Death - I shall definitely be authoring some tutorials at some point, but not until I've finished the game. I've still plenty of work to do. Fla files? maybe....

Sermad - Sounds like you're really flexing dude. It'll be interesting to see how you go about things as your work is quality, but I've no idea what your approach is. We should collaborate sometime, both on tutorials and game production. Between us I think we could really kick ass.

P.S. Hows Dropship going?