A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: For the LOVE OF GOD_ PLEASE HELP!

Ugh- this is aggravating now- I need help on a fighting game, and so far no one has lent me a hand except on a lifebar, which doesn't help considering I can't get the game to work to make use of a lifebar to begin with! I need a comprehensive fla to look at and work with, or for someone out there to help me with this outright- PLEASE!!

I need help- please stop ignoring- anyone please help!

Xerjester, now come on, you should look at what you are asking for? Every one here on this board would be more then happy to help you with any problems you are having. But asking them to do it for you?

There are 4 things you should know if you would like to get better responsive form people.

1. Ask extremely specific questions, which are well thought out? That way we know how, and what to do to help each other out.

2. Try not to ask for too much at one time! Game developers are extremely over worked, and have very little free time. Most of us will not have the time it takes to make long replies or even demo files. But if you ask for things that can be posted over a (lunch) brake, you will be more likely to get everyone’s help!

3. Say pleas and thank you! People will be more inclined to help you if you show them a positive attitude.

4. lastly if you don’t get help the 1st time try rewording your requests. We might not understand what you are asking for?

Just a few tips that will help you to have a better experience here at FK!

We are all part of this community and we are all responsible for trying to make it that much better!

Thanks!

Meow!

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    I second that.
    To be honest, if you want to write games in flash, you need to be able to work things out for yourself. You won't get anywhere purely by relying on other people to tell you how things are done. I know that sounds harsh, but we're here to HELP, not do EVERYTHING for you. And we won't.
    If, for example, you start work on a game and reach a sticking point. Then ask a question along the lines of:

I'm working on a XXXX game. I've done XXXX and XXXX, but XXXX doesn't seem to work, what am I doing wrong?

You'll get an answer very quickly.

If, however, you decide you want to make a fighting game, for example. And ask a question like:

I want to make a fighting game, can someone tell me how this is done?

We aren't going to sit there and work it out for you.

For what it's worth, this is how I learnt to use flash:

5% Through the tutorials included with flash.
    10% Using tutorials on flashkit.
    10% With a book I bought on actionscript.
    (flash actionscript fx and design by Bill Sanders, BTW)
    75% Working it out by myself.

And I've got to admit, previous experience with both programming and design helped me a great deal.

Good luck. Remember, using flash to create games requires many different skills. If you approach this thinking it's going to be easy, you'll fall flat on your face. If you take the time to learn and work things out, you'll work wonders.

Cheers,
    J.C.

Look- I'm not new to these boards, and I asked specific questions just as you prescribed Flash, But i got no responses after weeks.

I can't figure out these things on my own because I have no starting point whatso ever- I'm a top notch animator ( at least that's what I'm paid for) but I am in no way a programmer- so the statement "figure it out yourself" is a slap in the face for me. seriously.

I am developing an anime fighting game- I need to know how to make the character do certain things on key commands.

Next, I need collision detection, but I think i can handle that if only I get some help on the first.

Lastly, i can make the life bar.

I did write "please" in my aformentioned post by the way *points*

My point was, no one seemed to want to help- because of that same "find out yourself " attitude. Well for non-programmers like me, that attitude is alltogether fustrating and hurtful. Everyone had some small amount of help at one time or another, be it tutorials, or help files, or whatever. Anyone who says otherwise just has something to prove, and proves unreliable.

So please...please, I am asking for help. Nothing more.
    I'm nto askign for it to be donw for me, just help.

Character motion with Key Commands:

to get the hang of it,

1) make your character into a MC (movie clip) with various keyframes for the different positions he will move into upon keypresses.

2) create an instance of your character MC on the main timeline.

3) Go into the action Script for your MC, and add in something like:

Code:
    onClipEvent(enterFrame)
    {
      if (Key.isDown(Key.LEFT))
         gotoAndPlay("move left");
      else if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT))
         gotoAndPlay("move right");
      else if (Key.isDown(Key.UP))
         gotoAndPlay("jump");
      else if (Key.isDown(Key.DOWN))
         gotoAndPlay("duck");
      else
         gotoAndStop("stand still");
    }
    Now, this of course assumes that you have at least 5 keyframes in your characters MC, labelled: move left, move right, jump, duck, stand still. Since you can do animation and such, you should have no problem creating the animation within the clip to perform said actions.

That should get you started understanding how to manipulate the MC with keypresses. Post again once you get that, and we'll go from there.

The Spyder

P.S.
    Getting pissy won't get you more help, it just makes you seem childish

thanks- but

How do I label specific keyframes in an MC?

That coding will defiantely help- I understand now : )

But i still am not clear on labeling keyframes in a movie clip and things needed to make the code work...

(I wasn't meaning to sound pissy- but I was genuinely pissed off)

thanks

When you have a keyframe selected, open up the "Frame" panel and you enter the label there.

The Spyder

Xerjester, don’t be upset with me, I honestly don’t have much free time. I love to help people. That’s why I am a moderator. I think I learn more, helping people then I do by my self!

If you take some time to think up what exactly you need then ask here one step at a time we will help you. I recommend you sit down and start by making a design document. That will help you to understand what your game will need. Then you won’t feel so frustrated, because you will know what questions to ask!

Thanks NetSpyder for taking the plate!

I have a bad cold and will most likely not be going to work tomorrow… I will upload some .fla files that might help you learn faster, tomorrow. There only some things I slapped together to help me learn flash5 but you might fined it useful to see what other people are doing.

Well I desperately need my sleep, so good night, I will type to you when I regain conciseness…

thanks

Ok Net Spyder- that helps a great deal! Thanks!

And no worries FlashCat, I'm not mad at you- It takes alot more than a forum post to get me angry even IRL, *smiles* and thank you for being willing to help me even though I have so little patience- I just want to make great things with flash beyond mere animation you know?

on MouseEvent(release){
    begin tellTarget("boyA");
    Goto and play "Punch BoyB in the face";

If(getproperty("/BoyB",_currentframe)>=112
    begin tellTarget("/boyA")
    Goto and play "fall down bleeding and crying for help from Jesus";

There you go, a complete fighting game.

Good morning er um… afternoon! I just woke up, about 1:30 pm … I feel so much better.

I have to apologize I am siting hear with my new computer, with no FTP software. I forgot to install it when I got the thing. Unfortunately I left my CD binder at work, so I can’t install it until tomorrow. Sorry for the set back but I will have to upload the .fla files from work tomorrow.

Well I hope you are making good progress? I think I am going back to sleep now! Type to you tomorrow!

Sorry about the delay, when you take a day of sick you still have to do your work… lol.

Well I hope this helps you out a bit Xerjester.

http://www.zerotrigger.com/_projects/keyboard.fla
    http://www.zerotrigger.com/_projects/move.fla

have fun!

If you're not a coder, you shouldn't be coding.

If you want to learn to be a coder, start simple. A fighting game is not simple.

Sorry. But this is the honest truth.
    I'd start with a tic tac toe game, so you learn about coding very basic logic.

Then move on to something with collisions, like move a space ship left and right. THEN add in shooting a missile. THEN add in an alien moving around. THEN add in collision of missile to alien.

Gotta learn to crawl before you can run.