A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: HTML within XML, can this be done?

well the subject pretty much says it all. i've only just started looking at XML and was wondering if you could included HTML markup within XML

i'm off to give it ago, but i'd prefer it if someone can tell me before i sit up all night

Sure - but it depends ...

... on what you want to do. If you want to make the XML look pretty, you need to use XSL. But if you want to include your HTML tags to use them in Flash, sure go ahead - just bear in mind that XML is a lot pickier than HTML when it comes to closing tags (e.g. you actually have to use </p> ;-) because it will see the tags as part of the XML document.

Jef

i didn't think you could use XSL in flash. are you saying i can?

i'm attempting to add the values in the XML attributes to an array, to be transfered to text fields. i'm not quite sure if this is right but hows about this as an example

<entry target="01.swf" buttonValue="section1" targetText="<p align="center">section1</p>"/>

cheers for the reply anyway

damn it, that examplke didn't work

<code>

&lt entry target="01.swf" buttonValue="section1" targetText="&lt p align="center">section1&lt/p>"/>

</code>

this one might

Nevermind the XSL - I must have misunderstood you (don't think you could combine it with Flash).
    There are quite a lot of tags that Flash understands (that's what I've read anyway - haven't tried it yet) - should be somewhere in the manual (downloadable at Macromedia.com if you shouldn't have it).

Jef

cheers for the help, i didn't think XSL was supported. guess i'll go off and bang my head against a wall till i figure it out