A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CoffeCup Firestarter - SWiSH lookalike software

Thanks for the quick response David, if nothing else the response by the Swish team has always been a big factor to me. In this age of take my program and call me next year you guys are a refreshing breath of air. Nor am I trying to find fault. Nor do I want to push anyone into an early release. I appreciate the problems of software release as I and many others have often suffered from early releases. I certainly will work with 2 when it comes out and if it's as easy or easier than version 1.5 I will be thrilled. Believe it or not I am a strong supporter. As you can tell by my plate in the post above I am always on the look out for alternative programs and technologies, especially those that have a small learning curve as the independent designer has so much to keep up with. That is the only point that I was trying to stress. I like, use and promote Swish.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Originally posted by david petley
    as johnnie suggested, moved to open SWF forum for further discussion.
    david p.
    Can you please post a link to this dicussion after it moves to the Open SWF forum. Does that mean the whole thread suddenly appears in the other forum? Or does a whole new thread start there and this one lingers on here?

BTW: I think the thread has gone past a discussion of FireStarter <*****y comment>there wasn't that much to discuss </***** comment> and is more about the future directions for SWiSH. Might this not upset those in the OpenSWF forum (or don't they mind product specific discussions there?)

Swish 2.0 and Flash

Does David Michie get anything? I work for coffeecup and he constantly attacks our software for what it doesn't have. Has he figured out that more features doesn't always mean better? Our users want a simple program. Not flash, not swish 2.0. All he can do is say "yea but it doesn't have this... it doesn't have that..." meanwhile we have gotten nearly as many downloads in 3 weeks that swish has had in a year.

Keep it simple stupid!

It's not a mercedes, its a bike.

Cheers,
    John

SWiSHer extraordinaire

Re: Swish 2.0 and Flash

Originally posted by bigjohn
    Does David Michie get anything? I work for coffeecup and he constantly attacks our software for what it doesn't have. Has he figured out that more features doesn't always mean better? Our users want a simple program. Not flash, not swish 2.0. All he can do is say "yea but it doesn't have this... it doesn't have that..." meanwhile we have gotten nearly as many downloads in 3 weeks that swish has had in a year.

Keep it simple stupid!

It's not a mercedes, its a bike.

Cheers,
    John

I don't think there has bene a constant attack at all.

FireStarter was suggested (by this thread) as a possible alternative/competitor to SWiSH.

David pointed out features of SWiSH that didn't make FireStarter a direct competitor (which is effectively what you've also said).

I certainly feel that it is an interesting product .. worth keeping an eye on .. probably still has a few things that need ironing out, but it is early days yet .. and is probably pitched somewhere between SWiSH and the likes of Flax and SWfX.

There's no real need to get nasty or defensive, unless you feel your backs are against the wall.

I'm please for you that you've got the downloads .. with the e-mail marketing and large user-base of CoffeeCup, that's not really surprising.

I think there is room in the market place for several tools .. each has its own advantages and disadvantages and will appeal to different groups of users.

I like to use Swish more than CoffeeCup Firestarter.
    Because Swish can support Big-5 Traditional Chinese text. but Firestarter can not do it.
    At present it only have Swish-3rd party tool can support Big5 Traditional Chinese. So
    it is very good tool more than firestarter. Just only my opion.