A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SMALL FONTS IN FLASH LOOK LIKE ****

ah! i understand! thank you!

this is how they told me to do it.

i talked to several big designers that use the small fonts... he/they told me that you need to position the fonts at whole intervals(x=4, y=4) NOT (x=4.04, y=4.04)

then the text should look fine...play with it a bit.

hope this helps.

atomic

i also use the miniml-font hooge and it works fine on my computer but not on computers that miss the font. http://www.e-law-seminar.de
    but how can i embed the font when working with flash5 and publishing to flash4-format? I don't want to embed the font in every single text field.
    i tried to embed the font in one text field but it didn't work with the others. i also embedded the font in the library but it also didn't work.

any ideas?

plz help me it's very urgent...

Hooge and other pixel fonts aren't designed for large blocks of text. I suggest you use _sans for this. For headlines and one-liners Hooge is ok, but you should break it apart and group the individual letters, and then make sure it's placed on a whole pixel. Oh, Hooge works best at multiples of 8pt.
    For more info read this entire thread.

i use hooge only for the menu and a single line description of each submenu and it works fine. but how to embed the font in flash 4?

Originally posted by heidelbaer
    i use hooge only for the menu and a single line description of each submenu and it works fine. but how to embed the font in flash 4?
    there is no need to embed the font. If you are using hooge then u don't need to have it in a text field, just use it as normal text and follow the instructions in the readme file.

yes, that would work, but i have to work with textfields because the text of the menu is read out of a txt-file.

Any suggestions?

My suggestion:
    Don't use hooge for text. It's not designed for long reads. In fact it will only cause problems. Think of the text as html. In a html website, you rarely use bitmaps for large blocks of type. And you are limited to the device fonts (arial, verdana, times, courier etc). Use that concept in Flash as well. People are used to these fonts, and they were chosen as a standard for a reason. In flash the font's are called (_sans, _serif, _typewriter). use one of these and you'll have a fully legible text.
    This is all from a typographic point of view. It is not set in stone. Just my opinion...

he already said he's not using it for a long read, just a menu and short description.