A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help on Text Effects

Can Anyone Please help me cause I am stuck. My problem arose when I needed to put text effects (using variables) for my main flash movie. I need to know the best way how can I play them when I want and not make them visible where I want. All I did was that I made all these text effects on separate swf files, made a load movie command in level 1 of the movie and then I put it on the main movie. I thaught the problem was solved since It worked fine with the load/unload movie. But the problem was when I made it online there was a very big delay in time because the extra swf file have to be loaded in real time. I tried the Tell target but don't know exactly what to do.

Can anyone please help me out cause I'm really stuck. My problem is again to put text effects using variables in the movie and to hide them when I want and play them when I want!

Thanks a lot

Cheers

C

Smile text effect with variables made easy

hi
    all you need 2 do if i got u right is put the 3 frames with the actions in a MC and change all the duplicate MC from :
    "/mc/mc" to : "mc/mc"
    with out the first /
    and that should work just put the MC when u want it 2 work and remove it when u dont want it or just use effects.
    hope i helped
    cya

DIDN'T UNDERSTAND

Sorry didn't understand a word

THANKS

Try putting a blank keyframe with Stop action at the beginning of the MC. That way you can preload the FX and tell them to play instantly whenever you want.

Keep in mind you can also set the Visibility and Alpha properties of MCs in code--an alternate way of hiding them.

Question not answered

Hi My question is simply how is the best way to put text effects in a movie so that you can remove them and play them when you want. What is MC?

Thanks

Re: Question not answered

Movie Clip

VISIBILITY 0

Hello,
    the property visibility is not working on text effects with variables!

Thanks

PLEASE HELP!

Re: VISIBILITY 0

Try my first suggestion. I can explain it in more detail if you want.

DETAIL

Can U explain it in more detail please. Is there any way I can LOAD the SWF files in the PRELOADER?

THANKS

Re: DETAIL

Originally posted by carvel
    Can U explain it in more detail please. Is there any way I can LOAD the SWF files in the PRELOADER?

THANKS
    There isn't a special "preloader". You said you're already loading the SWFs using Load commands. When the SWFs have a blank first frame, it's easier to load them near the beginning of the movie, before you actually need to display them.

Then when the time comes, you use Tell Target to make the loaded MC start playing from Frame 2. Because the movie clip has already been loaded into memory, it will play instantly. Sound good?