A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: why does my mac show me the clock? Help neede!

Hi out there!

I got a simple question, just for understanding and to remove this problem.

I've built a big swf-movie and when I hit "Test movie" then it's exported properly but when the player window with my swf-file pops up, there is my cursor changing to a clock and back to an arrow and back to a clock and so on. (although it's working, a bit slow, but it works)

What's that?

PS: I got a Mac...

Thanks for help,
    .tobi.

Mac performs slower

My guess is probably your file is big for your machine to handle. Depending on your Mac's CPU speed, if the swf is too big, it will take up all of your CPU power to render (causing the "clock" cursor to appear). I have a Dual processor G4500, 512 MB RAM, and a heavily animated swf can significantly slow down my playback.

One general fact, Mac performs slower than PC when playing swf because Flash isn't developed with Mac platform initially. It takes time for Mac to translate swf and render it. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it.

Test your movie on PC platform/other Macs and see if you find the same problem. Otherwise find someway to segment your movie into defferent files or reduce the animation.

Chuo

Thanks for your answer chuo!

I'm running the same G4, so you see why I wondered a little bit. But the problem now only occurs, when I work with that file on our lan-server. as long as I have the file on my desktop, it's running without any problem. do you have an explanation for that? I thought that the mac loaded the whole file into ram and basta, there it goes ... isn't it like that?

.t.

Hmm.. I have intranet connection too but I never encounter such problem, probably I never transfer swf bigger than 1MB. How big is your movie?

Maybe your server connection speed configuration that isn't sync with your computer? I'm just making broad assumption, and I'm not an expert in network. Is your client going to see it via this method? My suggestion is upload it on a internet server and test it.

Chuo

Ok. That swf file is just a lousy 400KB. But there are thousands of of scriptlines. I think I'll try it running from the internet server tomorrow. Thank you so far!!

.tobi.