A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Host allowed socket servers...

Talking

I need a host that will allow me to run a socket server on it. If anyone could help I would be in your debt.

Thought of perl?

perl can work as a server using sockets, with he IO::Socket module working (default).

Many free hosting sites offer perl.

This is something I am investigating...

perl

perl can work as a server using sockets, with he IO::Socket module working (default).

Many free hosting sites offer perl.

This is something I am investigating...

Talking perl sockets

yes I know Perl can do this. I have a working socket server. I had it running for atleast 2 weeks and then my host took over my account and won't allow me to host with them again. They said using sockets was a violation of their security policy. So what I need is a host that allows me to run a socket server on differrent ports. Thanks anyways.

just posting this to the front since no one has dained to answer this in awhile and the problem still exist.

Uhh...

So... no one has 'deigned' to answer you.. 'cause no one can - maybe??

I run my own XMLSocket server. So I don't know of any hosting services that you can use. If you want to pay me to use mine, I'd charge some outrageous fee - 'cause I wouldn't want you to use it (Yeah that's selfish... sorry!).

Why don't you just set up your own? Are you on a modem or something??

P.s. - I'd charge you $75 a month for an account with me. Web space, ftp, and XMLSocket (might be able to work in email and cgi support...). Like I said - outrageous.... but hey, I can't have everybody in the world hitting my bandwidth for an XMLSocket..

I don't know of any ISP or hosting company that will allow you to run your own sockets. The only thing I could think of is co-locating your server (mega $$$) or getting a permanent connection.

Thanks

Luke

I don't know of any ISP or hosting company that will allow you to run your own sockets. My guess is that they will always violate security policy. Most security policies are simply, mail, web, ftp everything else is a violation.

The only thing I could think of is co-locating your server (mega $$$) or getting a permanent connection.

Or of course you could pay Vaykent bucket loads of money, I am sure he won't mind.

Thanks

Luke

Uhh...

So.. I wonder if I could break even with offering an XMLSocket server to 'the community'.... I really wouldn't care about getting paid for the 'time', just for breaking even on the Inet connection and the parts...

I might be able to help

I've contacted my network admin to see if anyone besides me can do what you are asking. I'll let you know if I can help you out.

Cheers,
    Clayton
    http://www.creative-flow.com

Talking Alright here's the deal...

Thanks all for your replies. I apologize for the bad spelling (dained instead of deigned, thanks Vaykent), I'm from America and I can't help it (personally I think it's something in the mountain dew). Anyways I am thinking about setting up my own service for flash users that would include socket construction and design. It would be affordable of course: $75 a month is a bit high for me Vaykent, thanks though. It will be running on a cable modem, and will evetually have a dedicated line up. I will get the figures to you on how much it will cost and no other hosting other than the socket and related code will be available for now. This is so we can keep the servers from lagging. Eventually we will have hosting too.

Won't you need to offer hosting at least for the pages containing the flash as the security mechanisms will kick in and not allow people to make socket connections to any server other than the one they came from?

Thanks

Luke

Talking socket security

Socket related stuff includes the nessacary code to conform to flashes security issue. In otherwords, yes we will be hosting a small amount (10mb) so that your socket can work the way macromedia wants it to. More details soon.

Talking Socket hosting for rent...

It is official. We will be hosting a socket server through mc78.com. I will be posting a new thread for more info.