A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Q: Cursor Postition?!?! ahhhh!

I despreatly need help on this if anyone has some ideas....

I was wondering if anyone knew how to confine the mouse to a certain position? On my website in the intro I have some moving circles which are also buttons. I dont want them to be rolled over till they are still. I've figured out how to hide the mouse during this short time, but with the mouse hidden the user still has the ability to move over the buttons which causes my site to lock up. (not good i asure you!)

So if anyone knows a trick to restrain the mouse to certain cordianiates or a point I'd be estatic!!

here is the site to see what I mean (its the part in the very beggining, after the preloader)
    http://www.fna.muohio.edu/jonesart/michelledwyer/

Thank you,
    Michelle

Hey Michelle,
    If i was you i would'nt bother with trying to confine the mouse. Why not just have your circles play normal with no buttons attached. Then when loaded add your buttons then..
    Thats what i would i do...
    By the way your site didnt want to load..

cheers
    MdesignONE

As I know, there is no way to confine mouse position.

By the way, it is very difficult to see your web site. Your swf file is 1.6M big with 323 frames. Many buttons are tweening.

In the first 30 preloader looping frames, you say
    ifFrameLoaded(304){gotoAndPlay(31);}

Are you sure they will wait till 304 frames are loaded ? Or just like the post: "By the way your site didnt want to load.. ".

Or, at the preloader, you should warn that, "loading may take about several minutes !"

The buttons(invisable) are imbeded in the MC of the circle. I do not know a way to inable them in the beggining.

I realize my site is quite large, but I have have numerous bitmap images and a 10 sec movie all on my site. That's why I suggest that you have a high speed internet connection.

My target market is not really the average joe. People that will be looking at my site will have the high speed internet connections because they are art directors or web companies. I'll consider putting a length on it.

perhaps you say that is not working because you are moving your mouse in the very begingin like i said there was a problem. If you do not move your mouse it should load just fine... at least mine does.

michelle

why not put the button in a frame that is later than the script moving the circles. then, once the movie is loaded put move the circle clips to the scripts with the button.

This way, they are invisible till the MC moves to the frames having them.

Else you can put the buttons in 2 frame movie clips:

frame 1:

stop();

Frame 2, having the button,

stop();

This way you can refer to them like:

_root.circleMC.buttonMC.gotoAndPlay(2);

Well, I download your swf and see it "off-line", it is really an enjoy.

It is time-taking to find out what happened, because you hide my mouse. OK, I made my mouse seen. I tried to find out whether we can disable the rollOver effect.

From frame 31 to frame 41, there is a button which will effect like push them up. on(rollOver) you move the _x;
    But there is a line "nextFrame()"; When I move my mouse, the group of circles moved up. But, also, the animation stopped. And I saw the _currentFrame increase by 1 for each rollOver, until frame 41;

I am not sure whether this is due to "nextFrame", because this script does make animation stop and increase _currentFrame. But I do not know why it stop at frame 41. Maybe you can try disabling the "nextFrame()" things ? Why not just let it play without interruption ?

From frame 41 to frame 56, there is another button. on(rollOver) it gotoAndPlay(2); That make the movie go back to show "loading"; I do not know why do you want to goto frame 2 after loading the movie;

After it plays to frame label "Home", every things is all right. I tried to find something that I can rollOver. But I found nothing. I think that, if you can disable the rollOver effect after frame 71, why can not disable them before frame 31 and before 41 ?

Thank you , thank you, thank you!

I think i've finally fixed the bugs. I went in and like it was suggested changed the button to the second frame and then put code in if the propare frame was loaded to avance to frame 2 in the MC where it proceded as before.

If anyone else finds any bugs please let me know. Thanks.

o and one more question.. how did you download my web site. I was under the impression that I put a download lock on it in the publish settings. Is it another place??

Thanks so much,
    michelle

I clicked the hyperlink in your post, and it brought me to your web.

I checked the source, the emb tag shows your SWF filename. So, I can download it.
    Maybe just searching the Cache for the filename will also find the file.

I load your SWF file into _level1, and add a movieClip on(mouseMove){Mouse.show();} to get my mouse back.
    I add (for name in _level1) {if (_level1[name].hitTest(_root._xmouse,_root._ymouse)){text1=name; } to peek your symbole.
    I add dynamic text for _level1._currentFrame; to see what frame your movie are playing.
    I use nextFrame() to move your movie frame and it wont go too fast.

Although your SWF are protected, I can see something. Of course, not everything.