A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sending variables

I'm not a programming expert, but I fell at home in flash. But I need to get some knowledge about some other script-languages to do what I would like to, maybe you can give me some advice, on which things I have to get familiar whit to be able to do the following senario:

I have made a scene whit some singelframe movieclips, each containing one shape. Each of these can be draged, scaled and duplicated. One guy,( let's call him Steven), is then able to make his individual picture on his own computer in the running swf.-file. Steven can then afterwards send this picture(the variables), to me(a server). Then I'm able to make a new swf-file giving Stevens picture, and I am also able to rework on it.

This is very basic what I what I would like to be able to do. To do so, do I need to use, php, java, generator, or what,??

These guys are doing it, and they are pretty cool. Damn cool
    http://holiday.415.com/damn/card/index.htm

I hope that you can give a newbie me, some advice.

Angry

In general:
    you should learn any of server scripting languages: PHP, Perl, ASP, Delphi, Java or C++ (web server related part). For WINNT/IIS i wud recommend ASP.
    and you probably need some knowledge of client side scripting - JavaScript.

Regarding ur particular task:
    When u submit all variables to Web Server the server should analyse them, generate *.txt file and send another *.swf (this swf will use txt) to client.
    ASP sample:
    U should write file name.asp which is something like that:
    <%
    new_var=Request("variable_name")
    CreateFile("name.txt")
    AddLine("a_var="+new_var)
    CloseFile("name.txt")
    Response.Redirect("your_show.swf")
    %>

Other lanquages have the same ideology.

So u should check wich server scripting language is supported on your server. Then start learning it (just few commands will do).

hej ROlling,
    Thanks for your advice. It looks like I have to get familier whit asp. The specific thing I am working on is located here. It's in danich only so far, and the thing have some bugs in it, but if you have any comments or replies I would like to hear it.
    The flash 5 player mess up the picture.

http://www.arkitektgruppen.dk/AAskub/

stigvg@stofanet.dk

Stig