A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: stopping ONE sound

I originally set up my music to "stream" so that when the next sound started streaming it would obviously stop the first one. However, I hate streaming music because of the choppiness. If I therefore want to run the music on "event" or "start," is there a script to tell a _specific_ sound to stop playing at a particular keyframe? Do I nest it in a movie clip and then control the sound by pointing to the instance of the movie clip? Or is there an easier way? And what is the script?

Thanks so much for your help!
    -Dave

come on folks, I know somebody out there can answer this...

du de do...

hey there,

honestly i haven't done a lot of work with sound but nesting it in a mc sounds like a good way. just one other suggestion for you, try preloading you sounds so you don't have to deal with the choppiness that you loath.

Hope this get sthe wheels turning

dan

precaching the sound actually won't help with the choppiness, because the choppiness in streaming is caused by the sound trying to keep up with frame rate which is dependant on each person's processor. What will help is if I precache the whole mp3 and run it as "start" -- but then I'm back to my issue of not being able to top the specific sound when the next one starts...streaming was the only way I knew how to get that to happen.

-Dave