A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Get involved - FLASH.project.3d_(rpg)

binaryhit
    Hey guys,

Just found this if your thinking of using a turn based battle system I reckon you could adapt this one pretty well!

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Games...87/index.shtml

Hope thats useful!

//Gary

Spinach,

You probably don't want to use that character info...its a direct rip off of dungeons and dragons.

Behp,

I know about the battle system, it's still written in flash 4 code. but if you want to change it into a flash 5 engine, you will have to change all variables (some are called mon3_hp and you can use _ in a variable)

When I have time, I will maybe try to write a new code.

Of course we need our own graphics, I think this comes straigth from the movies section of FK. but I think we should wait untill the engine is up.

didn't look at the jpg, because at the moment I have very little time.

oh about the movement of the averter. what is wrong with it?? if you set onClipEvent(enterFrame){}, the averter moves twice when you only press onces !!!
    when I use onClipEvent(keyDown){} this seems to solve the problem.

cya, ^1letser

I was wondering what is the final version of the story of the game... I will need this when Im done designing to make the intro page of the game...

Ive been developing the design of the website...

Here is a pic of it...

http://ceti.macam.ac.il/sebs/preview_temp.jpg

plz crit this one...
    I would like to get some input on it so I can change whatever you like before its too late...

wayhey guys, sorry i haven't been posting for a bit, i have been so busy with this and that. also i forgot to notify me by email on the NEW thread, i am so stupid!

so im just reading and checking the current situation.

talk later

OK now I am back up to speed. Here are my views....!!!

- i agree that the character is sluggish, but the battle system is fully integrated. the HP's of the characters are used in each scene and are updated. what are the ideas on creating another engine...would it not just do the same job?

- any ideas on how can we keep the file size down (obviously what is causing the slow speeds now)?

- behp has his head screwed on in saying that we do ned some proper textures. i dont suppoe psychoflasher is gonna ever pop in again and create that final map editor??????

- and behp i really think that the pillar/temple/lantern pic is ace, so the site shou;d be great too.

- gary, the battle system u recommended was the one i had posted. i contacted the author and he was happy for me to use it. then i just changed some values, added a nice background and sent it to you guys.

- sorry lester. i mean letser. or was it lemster? lemming? oh i dunno! (kidding letser!!!)

- why dont we get some free webspace eg. geocities or fortunecity ir something where we can all log in and update the files. however u must be sure u know that u have done a solid and valuable update before overwriting...otherwise some people may get annoyed and others may get annoyed and hey presto, we have anarchy.

- im gonna add a footer after this post.

ok, im off now for a nice feet up in front of the tv. although there will be nothing on at all. british saturday night television is as dull as william hague.

the doc.

erm just trying a footer???? argh. hehehe

hey you guys,

Behp: pic is oké

dr_Funfrock: for your footer, make the links between [ url] and [/ url ] (without the spaces)

well, I'm away for a few days. I'll post when I am back.
    keep up the good work.

Hey....been looking for you guys

Sorry, I'm currently working with BinaryHit on a new 3D game...but am still curious with what you guys are doing. Where's the latest files? Who's still signed up? I'm confused can I still have a hand in the art of it?
    Where's the main dev page?
    -B

currently all the files are found at http://www.surfsure.co.uk/rpg but we are messing around with different designs - behp has a promising one in production. basically thats just a temporary home of the files.

on my footer, i tried using site and it didnt work. i think. anyway, cya later letser, talk to you soon i hope!

file size

the only thing i can think of is getting rid of anything that is not used and changing all grafix to jpg or png (which ever is smaller) and making pics the size thay sould be not making flash have to strech them that slows it down also reducing the quality of pics to dead low

p.s. it is going to be huge because each square is very small and you will have to put tons of bits together with some sort of tansition between each piece????

hey guys, this is so unrelated but i would love some input.

any ideas on how i can promote my website? http://www.gamesandjokes.co.uk

i have tried many things, am on most search engines yet i still only get about 300 hits per week. i'd love more, so what do you all think?

ta,
    Doc

By the way I have got some well ace graphics that I will put into the battle scene when I get time, this will create more variation eg. when you fight in the sandy terrain, then the battle scene is a sand dune background for example.

binaryhit
    Dr funfrock,

To promote your website just go and find a Yahoo chatter bot!!! Research it on the net and get a script sending people to your site!

//Gary

Thumbs down

Good idea guys and i like the team work...

I do not doubt you are gonna succeed... i just have one question: what is this game about? i have tried to understand from all the example work (which is quality 3D!) but where is the story?

People are pretty tired of the Diablo/AD&D style characters and the cliche stories for little children... i think this game and the efforts you are putting into it deserve something better than that.

Instead of just talking i am also prepared to help you with that guys as well as some 3D graphics from time to time.

I finally have some time off work... to really work hard on the game...

Im writing here the story of the game that I think will be good, so plz crit it and add/change so we have a background story ready for the website and the development of the game... so here it goes...

Enchantment

Since the earth was created good and evil were in balance.
    Now all the prophets from all over the land of Alanthia
    are claiming that something is changing and by doing so
    the balance between good and evil is being disrupted...
    From all over the land strange things are happening
    the land is shifting and rules of nature are changing
    the once stone carved logic of the world is turning
    inside out to reveal a new and distorded reality...
    The strongest heroes of Alanthia are setting off to try
    and find an answer to this mischevious turn of events.
    This is kind of a trailer thing...

-Bellow is a description of gameplay...

The player plays as Merlok Aguilanegra, a young Warrior mage who just turned 16(in the medieval times you were old enough to work/fight/etc at a young age.) and is initiated into the clan of ferrum flamma (latin for "sword of flame")
    The high priest of the clan initiates you and trains you(I thought this could be a tutorial for the game)...
    Then he sends you to investigate rumors of strange creatures and spells never seen before in a neighboring town...

the player learns more as he goes forward in the game and, He also learns what power is coming into the land and how to stop it which will be the final quest... (I thought that the player will have also small optional quests throughout the game that will give him more information and items and stuff that will help the player proceed...

-What do you think?

P.S-Im planning of making an animated trailer or atleast an audio one...
    also I want to make the cutscenes animated instead of just a text story like the one binaryhit made...
    -after finishing the website I will model/animate more creatures and characters...

-Please tell me what you think of the story and gameplay I suggest...?
    [Edited by behp on 06-26-2001 at 05:35 PM]

binaryhit
    I already gave you the story line Behp!

It was in the trailer I originally made.

//Gary

P.S. Please everyone check out http://psychotiq.com and give me any sugestions for my new site!

binaryhit
    The reason I did alot of text was cos it would let a load of the file download as your reading! Seeming to speed up the gamers experience!

//Gary

hmmmmmmm - big debate.

i think BEHP should create his version, and we put it to the test against the original and see which is best.

by the way, i gained access via a 'contact' to a large ammount of server space along the lines of rpg.amityhosting.co.uk - only prob could be the bandwidth. with large files that will be a killer. basically we could link the files from that server unless someone else has a large, huge bandwidth server.

with gamesandjokes, mine is already becoming a bit too bandwidth heavy, esp. with 400 ppl a week downloading an average of 500Kb data!!!

ps. i was working on the textures, trying to make a water one. but it looked really crappy. do you reckon the water texture should be a movieclip too, eg. with ripples or waves at sea? it would be very realistic then...

pss. anti_matter0 is a very able actionscripter and he is working on an RPG but wants to help us - his is only 2D u c and he sees the 3D one as a challenge I think. I've just taught him about how the arrays and textures work in the .fla so hopefully he will be along soon.

well, back to it i guess,
    cya later
    Doc Fun