A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: trouble with buttons inside a movie clip

Exclamation

I have been having trouble with a flash presentation. I have a movie clip with buttons on it and I want the buttons to be able to go to another frame in my presentation, however since they are in the movie clip, I am having a hard time getting this to work. Any ideas?

FK Slacker
    Hi...

If you want the buttons to send the main timeline to a new frame, you have to target it like so:

On (Release)
    Begin Tell Target ("/")
    Go To and Play (frame # goes here)
    End Tell Target
    End On

Hope this helps,

K.

In the Begin Tell Target line... is "/" an expression? I tried that, but I couldn't get flash to realize that I'm talking about the presentation timeline and not the movie clip timeline. Will it allow me to select a label in the presentation time line or do I have to refer to it by frame number?

Thanks!
    amy

FK Slacker
    Hi...

Using "/" with Tell Target targets the main timeline...it doesn't have to be an expression or anything...

If you put labels on the frames you want to target, Flash will find them regardless where they are in the hierarchy (just make sure you don't reuse the same name on two different labels...)

If you're still having trouble, let me know and I can take a look at the FLA for you...

Cheers,

K.

yeah, i can't get it to show the labels of the main timeline. the page is at http://www.spyderonline.com/ArielTech/index.fla I've been trying to get it to work with the products button on the left jumping to frame 10 in the main timeline.

thanks!
    amy

FK Slacker
    Hi...

Looking over your FLA file, I think I see the problem...(I just checked out the clip holding the Products info)...

On Roll Over, you have the movie clip jumping ahead to the frame Moused Over. But the button on this frame doesn't hold any actions, so the Release action can never occur...

On the Moused Over frame, add the action:
    On (Release)
    Begin Tell Target ("/")
    Go To and Play (10)
    End Tell Target
    End On

This should help fix the problem. Good luck,

K.

I still can't get it to work. I updated the file on the site. It doesn't come up with all of the labels on my main timeline when I use "/" Any ideas? Thanks!

FK Slacker
    Hi...

When you're inside a movie clip, any labels in the main timeline won't show up in the Label pop-up menu. But you can still target them by typing in the name into the field...

K.

Normally you are only able to jump to frames within the movieclip ( and the current scene is grayed out.

To be able to jump to a frame in the main timeline you could just put this action to the button:

On (Release)
    Begin Tell Target ("_level0")
    Go to and Stop ("your frame or label")
    End Tell Target
    End On

Begin tell target "/" does the same but then you are restricted to only that level.

Whith this code you could jump to any level you want

Good luck with it
    Michel

Thanks, but still no luck. I think I've jumped into much deeper water than I can handle.

Thanks anyway..
    Amy

I'm trying to go back to the basics and just get my button working and then worry about making it look cool, but I'm still stuck. Any ideas? The fla is at http://www.spyderonline.com/ArielTech/index.fla

Is there any way to be able to open someone else's swf file to see how they did something?

Thanks!

amy

I've had a look at your fla and...

Do you want the main time line to jump to 10 when the "products" button is rolled over or when clicked?

Rich.

when it's clicked. my goal is for when it is rolled over to bring up the menu options on the right and then when you just click "products" it will open the products page, and when you click "software" it will go to the software page, etc., but i can't get it to jump to my main timeline at all. it just sits and stares at me like i'm stupid.

i tried it with the hardware link and it worked, so it's probably something else that will hopefully be easy to figure out. thanks!!!!

I amended your fla and here’s the fix.

Edit the library object "products/ new products". In frame 1 edit the left-hand button ("products") and use the script

On (Roll Over)
    Begin Tell Target ("/")
    Go to and Play (10)
    End Tell Target
    Go to and Play ("Moused Over")
    End On

In frame 10 of the main movie put a "stop".

This sounds very similar to most of the above posts so if you need the fixed fla sending just email me

Rich.