A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What's your size ...

What size Flash movie do people recommend so that it fits perfectly in 800x600 display, and still looks good for those with 1024x768 ?

Thanks.

i dont really know what the perfect size is. if i use fullscreen i set my movie as 800X600

Does anyone still needs 800x600? we had the discussion here and said "no". the ones who are running flash have at least 1024x768. but we though about another thing: interpolation always kills quality, therfore we set movie size to 1010x690 for having enough space for menues etc on every browserplatform. then starting up with a java sizelocked screen at the 1010x690 -> looks the best in the tests!

have fun,
    .tobi.

Well...
    Why don't you try writing a script that would be able to determine the screen resolution and depending on that will appropriately open the flash file in a specified width and height.

If you want to know how to do this mail me at denzil_lobo@yahoo.com
    DENZIL

i'd love to design for greater than 800*600, - but there are still a whole bunch of people at this res..

personally when making sure 800*600 res. people have no scrolling, i personally wouldnt go higher then 720 width, something around the 400-440 for height. (cant remember exactly!!)

different browsers hog different amounts of space, so i tend to go on the small side.

It would be more than interesting to know, what guys are stuck with the 800x600 resolution. Are there any publications on that? Does anyone know? Is there at least any publication on the several target-groups of web-sites and their technical equipment? - I mean, if your website doesn't hit the targetgroups of 800x600 users, then you can just ignore this lower size, can't you?

.tobi.

Id be interested in knowing this as well, basically any stats about screen res would be a bonus..
    my personal opinion is that unless you are designing a site for other designers, its best to consider the 800*600 people. I know a lot of "regular" internet users who have 800*600, its not that they dont have the hardware, just that they never bothered to change the res. from the initial settings..

b0b

I still use 800 x 600 at work. It's a very common corporate standard. If you want to exclude the many folks who surf from their place of employment, go ahead.

I know a fair number of people who still have 800 x 600 settings. For the most part, it isn't a negative impact that people notice, and it actually runs faster for display purposes, especially on older PCs.

I had seen a table recently, though I can't recall where, of screen sizes. While 640 x 480 is almost gone at less than 10%, 800 x 600 was a plurality of screens. If I can remember where that was, I'll let ya'll know.

Bob (the singing sock)

NEVER EVER GO ABOVE 800*600 - EVER :)

Hi Guys,

go to http://www.echoecho.com/ for stats on: resoluotion, no. of colors, and OS.
    Regarding screen res. you have to take an increasing no. of people using laptops into acount.

/k