A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Designs for your First Portfolio?

I was going to start putting together my first Portfolio but have never done a "Professional" webpage or Flash. I've always just done them or fun or hobbie. Anyhow.. I showed someone a Demo Flash that's just suppose to show what I can do, wasn't suppose to be a project or anything, just something fun to show what is possible with Flash (thru me that is) and he thought it was cheesey. So my question is should I make a mock "Professional" webpage and Flash.. like something on based on a fack company or product? Or should/can I just use the Flashes that I made for fun?
    Thanks

The Minister of No Crap

It all depends on who you're trying to attract I guess. I would use whatever looked better.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

I think that might depend on what parts of Flash
    really turn you on. A mock website is a good idea,
    I think, and if you built it in a sort of "standard"
    format, i.e. a home page, menu items that link
    to areas, etc. it would prove that you are capable. However, if you get sidetracked into a passion for actionscripting or particular things that really stick out, maybe you could showcase those in your own portfolio and just go nuts.
    I assume you want a high degree of gratification
    from your efforts, so I'd say don't sideline the things
    that give you a blast, 'cause that's what'll leave
    a lasting impression, and somebody will pick up on it.

The Minister of No Crap

I'm in the process of re-doing my website and I have a few mock websites that I'm going to put in there along with actual websites I've already done. Whatever works to portray to the potential client that you've got the goods.

-scott

There are a couple things to add here...

1) if you DO make a "mock" site, don't call it that, and don't pass it off as real, either. A nice way to show your work is with a "Template" site. This way, they might even choose the "Template" design for their site, reducing work for you.

2) Instead of making up a fake site, offer to build a site for a company free of charge, or in return for their services, even. Go to your local chiropractor and say, "Hey, you might not really even need a website, but I could build you one in exchange for a couple adjustments!" This would give you a real-world example of a legitimate business site.

Cheers.. thx for the good ideas, cause yeah I don't have any websites that aren't just mucking about. But I'm just trying to start from scratch and get a really professional looking site that can show off what I do know.

I like your site nocrapchurch and like the cartoons that are on it. Real good idea.

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    Cheers.. thx for the good ideas, cause yeah I don't have any websites that aren't just mucking about. But I'm just trying to start from scratch and get a really professional looking site that can show off what I do know.

I like your site nocrapchurch and like the cartoons that are on it. Real good idea.
    Thanks, Hellsbellboy. Got I site I could check out?

-scott

No sorry I don't at the moment. But hope too soon. I'm working contract with 3M (not doing web design) now and it ends in a few months so I'm trying to get things ready.

Our first jelve design site had nothing but samples/examples/mock-ups. I think that this is a valid way to portray to the prospective clients what you can do. We chose to use a mix of templatt-style examples and fictitious 'businesses'. We did ID them as fictitious, of course.
    The suggestion to do a site for free is also a good one. Bear in mind that there can be some expenses involved and that the recipient of the free work should at least be willing to pay for a domain name and hosting. A domain name is important, since a portfolio site with a URL like http://www.jelve.com/sample_site.html does not have the clout that a 'real' URL does.
    I would suggest that you try approaching a local non profit or charity group to offer free services. At least with a reg'd charity, you might be able to get a receipt for the value of your work to write off against income tax. And, you're doing something for a good cause.

Thanks for the suggestion Jelve, I like your site too.. I like how it can tell your connection speed, OS, screen resolution, etc. Very nice. The Flash version is so much more enjoyable then the HTML version. It's the way I myself invision the web to be.
    You and nocrapchurch are really good at what you guys do. Thanks again.

my two cents...

Do a "case study" or two. That's what I call them. Pick a subject/company. Possibly a company you would like to pitch business too, you can write it up as a case study, studying the elements it would take to create the site, going through the process without actually meeting with the client. I have seen many really professional firms do this.

Re: my two cents...

Originally posted by nollieflip
    Do a "case study" or two. That's what I call them. Pick a subject/company. Possibly a company you would like to pitch business too, you can write it up as a case study, studying the elements it would take to create the site, going through the process without actually meeting with the client. I have seen many really professional firms do this.
    Just be sure that you don't infringe on a comany's copyrights.
    [Edited by JabezStone on 07-10-2001 at 11:12 AM]

an idea

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    I was going to start putting together my first Portfolio but have never done a "Professional" webpage or Flash. I've always just done them or fun or hobbie. Anyhow.. I showed someone a Demo Flash that's just suppose to show what I can do, wasn't suppose to be a project or anything, just something fun to show what is possible with Flash (thru me that is) and he thought it was cheesey. So my question is should I make a mock "Professional" webpage and Flash.. like something on based on a fack company or product? Or should/can I just use the Flashes that I made for fun?
    Thanks
    just a thought. If you are going to do some work on a ficticious company, then why not find a charitable organization, and do some pro bono work for them. You get to show your stuff, and it could be a tax write-off if they use it.