A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loadVariables Help Needed

I can successfully send/load variables from the root of the movie but when try to use the same command in embedded (child) movieclips the data isn't uploaded to the server. (I created a temporary database table to see if my variables are getting sent to ASP and they are not.) I'm using the following:

on (release) {
    loadVariablesNum("make_map.asp", 0, "POST");
    }

All of my variables are defined at the root level. So, from within a child movie clip, I want to send root level variables to ASP and get some info back.

There must be something basic I'm missing. Would somebody please straighten me out on what variables get sent to ASP using loadVariables if you send them from lower level movie clips? Also, if you know the difference between loadVariablesNum and loadVariables, I would greatly appreciate a short lesson.

I'm designing purely for Flash 5.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.
    ~rockyroad

Try this:

on (release) {
    loadVariablesNum("make_map.asp", "_root", "POST");
    }

That didn't work either. I created new variables inside of the movie clip that calls loadVariables and set them equal to their equivalent root level variable like this:

_root.my_mc.myvariable = _root.myvariable

and now it seems to be working. It looks like the only variables that are getting posted to my asp page are the variables within the movie clip that is doing the posting.

Since I have a bunch of variables to pass, this doesn't seem to be the most effective way to do it. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
    ~rockyroad