A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: fading from greyscale to color

here's something I wanted to do. It seemed relatively simple, but I don't know if it's possible. I just wanted to fade a simple bitmap from greyscale to color. When I started messing with the alpha/tint/whatever controls, I found there was no saturation... Is there any way to do this (other than having one greyscale and one color image - don't wanna make it too big)?

FK Junkie
    well, I don't know of any way you can do it by only using the picture. But you could always put a box above the picture that has a grey alpha'd gradient with a 0 alpha on the color side and something like a 50 alpha on the greyscale side.

I meant fading as in an animation, like it starts out entirely greyscale, then the whole thing fades to color (for like a mouseover effect)

FK Junkie
    hm, well try making a symbol out of it and playing with the tint effect and motion tweens. So if you make a keyframe in frame 1 and frame 10, then go to frame 1 and tint the movie grey (oh about 50% or so), then make a motion tween between frames 1 and 10, it should get pretty close to what you are trying to do.

Sorry for the quicky step-by-step but I am working right now so respond if you're confused and I will elaborate later .

no grey tint :(

the problem is, though, there is no grey tint... you can only tint with RGB - if you bring them all up about halfway, you just get a washed out looking image :\

FK Junkie
    hrm, you are right. I skrewed with the color settings on a symbol for 30 minutes and the best I could get was a negative image or a severly washed out image.

Sorry

i dont know if this will work cuase i am at work so i cant test it... another idea would be to import two versions of the same bitmap (one would be greyscale.) break apart your bitmaps (the must be EAXACTLY the same and not altered) the SHAPE tween from the greyscale to the RGB version....if it works you should get the effect you wanted... if it doesnt work you will get a jumbled mess ... make sure after breaking apart your images that you do not alter them in any way..as this will give you the undesired jumbled effect. i would think what the other guy suggested would work....if you put a grey box or whatever in front of your picture with the greybox alpha on 50 i would think that the picture would look grey... the tween the box to alpha 0 to get the color version.. it sounds good to me but like a said im not in front of my flash station so i cant test it ... i hope one of these two things is helpful to you

Red face its simple mahn.

use two images. one in color, one in BW. lay the color version exactly behind the BW version on a different level. then use a tween to reduce the alpha of the BW version to 0 - and your all set. it looks good too

hehehe or you could do that

duh!

FK Junkie

I don't want to speak for jitspoe but...

...other than having one greyscale and one color image - don't wanna make it too big...
    That line was why I offered all of the jikky possibilities instead of just giving the obvious one . Mabey I misread and you guys are right but do you have any other ideas (just in case)?

Thanks

ummm

again......DUH!!!.....oops

hehe

yeah, if I used 2 images it would be easy You would really think flash would have a saturation control - it has everything else...